The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Storing Silks Between Shows (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Another neophyte question, but I just spent quite a bit of money for new silks and find them wrapped in nice cellophane flat wrappers. It seems a shame to pull them out! So, what is the best way to store silks after use, that doesn't entail the patience of a saint to get them back in those wrappers? Thanks! Bob
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
dsalley13
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of dsalley13
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Thanks! bob

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Here is another reference.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=54&10

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
blva888
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of blva888
I heard that if you hand wash them with soap and water. And after stick them to your wall they will float to the ground unwrinkled when dry.
Mr. Oops

The Worlds Greatest(?)

Magician

www.mromagicshow.com
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Eights, have you ever tried it? I read someplace here that to clean them you soak them in lukewarm salted water. I took a few badly soiled silks tonight to experiment on and I just couldn't help myself...I added mild dish soap and soaked, hand washed, rinsed and set them on a towel to dry, also as per instructions. I'll find out tomorrow at least how the cleaning worked for simple dustbunnies. The oil stains in the silks are the reason I experimented on those in particular! Lemme' know if you try the wall trick......best, bob

gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
There's no need to use soap to wash them unless it's SUPER GENTLE -maybe 20 to 1 woolite/water. The dyes they use on production silks these days are not all that great...

Water is just fine.

Place them, damp, on a mirror or window, and when they dry, they'll be nice and unwrinkled.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Hi Gaddy, thanks for that bit of information. Do you recommend the salt too, or just plain water? And do you soak them or just lightly wring them out in the water and let them dry? Thanks again! Best, Bob

DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
The only reason I can think of for adding salt would be to (maybe) help protect from fading, but I think it would take a LOT of salt.

I know (from working in a Dye House) that salt is used to "force" certain types of dye into the fabric, but we were using half a ton of salt per thousand gallons of water. That equates to maybe a couple boxes of salt for a sinkful of water. Sounds extreme. And then we’d rinse it all out anyway.

Personally, I use plain cold water and some very gentle “agitation” (passing the semi-wadded up silk from hand to hand a few times).

As for the oil stains, I don’t think you have much to lose trying some woolite or even dish soap. Silk (being a protein) doesn’t turn loose of stains easily. My first ever silk shirt, I went to a party and somebody slapped a “Hi, My Name Is” sticker on my chest. The glue never came off.
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Thanks DW, that all makes perfectly good sense to me. The oil stains didn't come out after all and so I just took the two red ones with the stains and tied them at each end of a white one to hide the stains and I'll use it somewhere, Im sure. Best, Bob

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Storing Silks Between Shows (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL