The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Ring & chain (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MadderMax
View Profile
Regular user
Venice, FL
136 Posts

Profile of MadderMax
Anyone using the classic drop a 3 inch ring down a chain and the chain wraps around the ring? People seem to respond to this. I thought if one ring was good, two would be better. Great reactions and I kept going. I currently can "catch" 8 rings on the end of the chain. I use a simple chain used for a pull light switch and cheap($1 for 5 rings) linking rings trick from the dollar store. I have not seen multiple rings done but I am sure someone must be doing this.
If you haven't tried this you might be surprised how well it goes over.
John Mott
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I will try it, it sounds like fun anyway.

- Mary Mowder
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3642 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Just bought one yesterday.

Jim
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3344 Posts

Profile of warren
I have this on me always, I do the link then an off move whilst the spec holds on to the end of the chain and finish with one more off move where the spec ends up holding the ring and I have the chain.
Although I've never used it on a paid gig its great for them show me a trick moments.
Luis Vega
View Profile
New user
Leon Guanajuato Mexico
74 Posts

Profile of Luis Vega
Where can I see this?

I saw it years ago in a video in youtube...though I have never seen it again, funny you should mention it..

a link to a video would be great!!
MadderMax
View Profile
Regular user
Venice, FL
136 Posts

Profile of MadderMax
Ok, here is a video of the trick, though it is not performed real well:
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1055661/chain_and_ring_trick/
I have been adding rings and am up to 10 rings that attach. It has been getting great responses. I am really wondering if other magicians have tried multiple rings.
John Mott
skc417
View Profile
Loyal user
australia
226 Posts

Profile of skc417
Never tried multiple rings, I am unclear on how you are linking on multiple rings, do you link a few at once and they all become attached? or are you linking on one after another?
MadderMax
View Profile
Regular user
Venice, FL
136 Posts

Profile of MadderMax
Usually about 5 rings attach and the others just rest on top of the attached rings. I use cheap rings just under 3 inches in diameter. The more rings the more difficult to "drop" them correctly.

Posted: May 19, 2010 9:13pm
Sorry I was not clear. I stack the multiple rings and lower the chain thru the middle. Then I drop all the rings at once and they attach (most of the time)to the bottom of the chain..
John Mott
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3642 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I received my ring and chain last week. After a little practice, I took it to a German beer garden on Friday night. Had a blast! This thing really entertains people. I have a walk-around gig Saturday and I'm wearing it around my neck to the party.

jim
xrudyreelx
View Profile
New user
south jersey
54 Posts

Profile of xrudyreelx
Wow! I've never seen that before. That looks great. Where can I learn and get that?
amerigo
View Profile
Veteran user
Can't believe I only have
318 Posts

Profile of amerigo
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=S4951

Here ya go

Cool trick people love it

I have also bought chain at Hobby Lobby and the rings are available at just about any hardware store
Magic is Everywhere
Yekrats
View Profile
Loyal user
Dayton, Indiana
209 Posts

Profile of Yekrats
Quote:
On 2010-05-20 21:14, amerigo wrote:
lso bought chain at Hobby Lobby and the rings are available at just about any hardware store

What do you look for at the hardware store? I've tried looking at my local "Lowes" and they didn't seem to have anything of that sort. I didn't really know what I was looking for though, and even asked them if they had any 3" or 4" or 5" rings, and they looked at me like I was crazy.

I looked for something appropriate for this, and I ended up buying some cheap bracelets at a different store.
--
Corporate or event magic & mentalism: http://WizardoftheWabash.com
aiki
View Profile
Regular user
Middletown NY
181 Posts

Profile of aiki
Quote:
On 2010-05-21 12:27, Yekrats wrote:

What do you look for at the hardware store? I've tried looking at my local "Lowes" and they didn't seem to have anything of that sort. I didn't really know what I was looking for though, and even asked them if they had any 3" or 4" or 5" rings, and they looked at me like I was crazy.

Welded steel rings. About the largest ring the hardware store will carry is 2" sometimes you will find 2.5". Look in the hardware section sometimes they are in draws that have specialty parts.

Ray K.
Ray K.

Till we meet again!
MadderMax
View Profile
Regular user
Venice, FL
136 Posts

Profile of MadderMax
You can also look in the children's section at Dollar Stores. They sell a linking rings trick for $1. Lousy trick but you get 5 rings; 2 linked, 2 not linked, and 1 you know what. I adjusted all rings to be solid. The rings are about 2 3/4 inch. That is how I got the idea of using multiple rings. You can also use a wedding band. I haven't had much feedback here on attaching multiple rings to the chain but I am getting great reactions.
John Mott
xrudyreelx
View Profile
New user
south jersey
54 Posts

Profile of xrudyreelx
Maddermax it funny you say that I just found $1 store linking rings and bought a few.
If you cant find them ant the $1 store any craft store will have them ask for dream catcher supplies
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9093 Posts

Profile of funsway
For those $store Rings I got several sets and can now swap in a set of three and a set of four to pass around. They are small enough for Ring-on-String effects and big enough for some Ring-on-Rope. Don't know asbout the chain.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
The $ Store Rings are heavier than the Dream Catcher rings I've seen at craft stores. Heavier is better.
Andy Charlton
View Profile
Veteran user
Palma Nova Mallorca Spain
311 Posts

Profile of Andy Charlton
This was shot just for my dad to play with the routine. So apologies for the quality. This is the routine I do ALL the time. Funnily enough, I mentioned this on another forum as one of the best value effects I've ever bought. Cost me a fiver at the Blackpool Convention a few years ago complete with instructions for most of the phases on here. It's one of the very few things I'll take out with me if I'm not working as it fits in the ticket pocket of my Jeans. Also I can do my Fast and loose routine with the chain, so it's a lot of magic for very little space.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52Jr7bbKmEY

The last bit is something a barman showed me, I've never seen it before or since. Though this works better with a longer chain and using the whole hand rather than the finger.

Cheers

Andy
"Keep that smile on your face, that excitement in your eyes." - Don Driver

Check out www.andyandjeansbigadventure.com
or
www.andysmagic.com
TC Ryder
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
499 Posts

Profile of TC Ryder
The ring and chain is a nifty routine. You can go to Home Depot and get both the Ring and chain there. You can get the rings in the hardware section and the chains in the lighting section. As simple as it is it gets a great reaction from the spectator.

Great video Andy thanks for sharing!!

TC
www.realcoinmagic.com

"Real Coins for Real Magicians"
PAUL K
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
547 Posts

Profile of PAUL K
Looked good Andy, Thanks!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Ring & chain (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL