The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Comfort zone (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

xrudyreelx
View Profile
New user
south jersey
54 Posts

Profile of xrudyreelx
I use to work in a magic shop and I spent most of my time learning card effect. Everything from pick a card to full routines. I was very happy being a card magician but I had a handful of other magicians tell me I had to expand my skills and get out of my comfort zone. I gave it a shot but in retrospect I wish I would have asked why. So I'll ask you guys, what's wrong with staying in your comfort zone?
stijnhommes
View Profile
Special user
568 Posts

Profile of stijnhommes
Your magic gets better if you challenge yourself and stepping out of your comfort zone is one of the biggest challenges you can give yourself.

Also, if you want to earn money with magic (it's okay if you don't), variety is a must. Audiences are easily bored when you have only card effects in your repertoire.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3622 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Unless you're Ed Ellis.

Do what makes you happy. Don't worry what other people think.

Jim
adrianbent
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of adrianbent
There is a time to simply "do what makes you happy", as Jim suggests. He is correct.
But -in life in general- happiness is found AFTER you push yourself a little.
comfort zones should be broken when it is reasonably safe and good to do so.

Deciding on what to do in this dilema is your choice to make; MAKING the choice is what will make you happy. (In other words, don't do nothing and avoid making choices with whatever life gives you... because life will make the choices FOR you if you do nothing, and you won't be satisfied in the end)
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
It depends on what you want.
If you have all you want, then stay there.
If you want more, it's going to lay outside the boundaries of your comfort zone.

Granted, there's a lot more to card magic that you probably haven't explored yet, and that may take you outside your current comfort zone, too.

So, decide what you want, and go get it.

Cheers!
Ed
pradell
View Profile
Special user
Alaska
559 Posts

Profile of pradell
We make changes mostly when we have to. I did my 4th birthday party for a friend's kids years ago and by then I'd done all of my standard fare so I tried new things. Mime. Juggling. Balloon animals. Music. Puppets. Etc. As entertainers we are tapped into the creative side of our lives. Learning new disciplines can hone our skills and make us better actors in the parts we play on stage.

:magicrabbit:
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3048 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Arguably the major reason why you might want to break out of your comfort zone is to see if there are lessons you can learn, so that you can bring new knowledge back with you when you return to the material you're comfortable with.

There are concepts and principles that you can learn in coin magic, with the cups and balls, with mentalism, etc. that you will have a really tough time learning if all you've ever known how to do are card tricks. Some people might be able to make the mental leaps anyway, of course.

In my case, coin magic and the cups and balls made my card magic better. They helped me understand misdirection, routine construction, timing, etc. If I hadn't learned about the way cancelling methods operates in the cups and balls, I might never have come to my current Ambitious Card Routine.

Obviously, I can't guarantee that you'll learn the lessons you need to learn. Nobody can guarantee that, especially because it's hard to know what you need to learn, or if you need to learn anything at all. There are plenty of magicians who make their livings using nothing but a deck of cards.
A screed for scams, sorcery, and other shenanigans... Nu Way Magick Blogge

JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
981 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Andrew hit the head on the nail. The more you learn about the craft of magic, the better a performer you will be. Even if you never perform those newly learned skills, the knowledge and experience will help you better deliver an entertaining show.
David P
View Profile
New user
Boston via Michigan
82 Posts

Profile of David P
I am an amateur, working towards two comfort zones. I was interested in magic back in my high school days. Now that I have time, I'm revisiting a favorite hobby. I've been involved seriously for several years. I plan to do some volunteer work at a hospital or assisted living. I don't plan on doing any paid gigs. My main interest and comfort zone is close-up, ropes, cards and coins, requiring some skill. I am studying Lorayne and Roth. Lazy Mans Card trick, OOTW , Hopping Halves and professor's Nightmare are some of my favorites. I also have some good packet tricks. I like Duplicity, NFW and ID. At a family gathering I showed some of my tricks to children. Professors Nightmare and Hopping halves went over well, but others didn't. I realize I now need to get comfortable within a new set of tricks, a new "comfort zone".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Comfort zone (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL