The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » A foothold on card tricks. Where to begin? First Goals? Suggestions? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jarvisjb
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of jarvisjb
I'm looking for a some expert advice on learning card tricks. Post reference books and videos for learning and practice. Post you're suggestion for a beginner's foothold to card tricks. What basics need to be established and perfected? How to tackle card manipulation/handling... in both technique and discipline?
Davy Davis
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Davy Davis
For most people the starting point is Royal Road to Card Magic. The book is wonderfully progressive. You learn an easy sleight, practice it, then there are some tricks which use that sleight. It's a great place to start. Another possibility is the 4 volume Card College but much more expensive and it's size makes it failry daunting.
Good luck and have fun.
Davy
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
You're likely to get a variety of opinions here.
Take a look at the Sticky posts at the top of 'New to magic?' / "Card magic skills: learning by order of importance " and "Magic books & Videos for beginners".
You should get some ideas.
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Highly recommend Card College, by Roberto Giobbi. Volumes 1 & 2 include enough for a lifetime of performances.

Good luck!
RealityOne
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of RealityOne
Get some easy to learn stuff too: Scarne on Card Tricks, Encyclopedia of Card Trick and/or Giobbi's Card College Light, Ligher or Lightest.
~David

Any perception of reality is a selection of reality which results in a distortion of reality.
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of rklew64
I second Jaz's advice. Practically everything new and old has been discussed regarding cards and do searches on specific topics. It's really all here. And more so if your fortunate enough to have a magic shop relatively local.
coolini
View Profile
Regular user
australia
176 Posts

Profile of coolini
Never show anything to anybody till you perfect it...well.
good luck, and believe me, there is more fun in the journey of learning magic rather then to focus on the destination...
enjoy
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Don't, no don't, check out any of my books, written JUST for you! Strange...
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2505 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
I recommend Harry Lorayne's literature. I had great fun from Apocalypse. What more could one need to get best bang for buck?

Other recommendations are Michael Ammars ETMCM 1 to 9 and Card College book 1 to 4
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
APOCALYPSE is a lifetime of great magic, but so are The Classic Collection, Volumes 1 and 2, plus others. To repeat - written JUST FOR YOU.

dmueller
View Profile
Loyal user
Central Illinois
227 Posts

Profile of dmueller
I am not much of a card guy, but I glanced through a friends copy of Apocalypse, and I can safely say that Mr Lorayne is well justified in recommending it to you. One of these days I am going to pick up a copy. Funding is a little sparse at the moment or I would already own it.
WazMeister
View Profile
Loyal user
233 Posts

Profile of WazMeister
I have Harry Lorayne
Classic collection, brillaint! So good I dare waste time mastering all his awesome tricks.
Just been trying to ace the Oil n Water trick and I move on to others then..
Brillaint way he teaches! Sometimes fast but so elegant and brillaint!

Lorayne and Malone ..to me the 2 best card magicians!
David P
View Profile
New user
Boston via Michigan
82 Posts

Profile of David P
I have been studying Lorayne's The Magic Book for about 6 months now. It is a great beginners book with an introduction on how to handle a deck, shuffles, 3 double lifts, then chapters on effects. Recently I picked up the Classic Collection vol 1.
These two should hold me for a long time. In the DVD category I have Ammar's Easy to Master Card Miracles volumes 1 & 2.
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
Mr Lorayne, to be perfectly honest, I think he wants to learn the basics. That is why some people recommended Card College and RRTCM.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Apocalypse is more geared at people that already know the basics. So to be fair, I would recommend one of your books, but it would have to be: The Magic Book!
After this, I think Close-up Card Magic, Apocalypse and Classic Collection would be invaluable.
I also think that Ammar's ETMCM are a great investment, but again, only after learning the basics.
I'm writing this with the greatest respect as I appreciate all that you(H. Lorayne) have done for magic and I am NOT trying to start a fight. Your books rank among the best. But you still need the basics, found in books like: The Magic Book, Card College, RRTCM, Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic, The Amateur Magician's Handbook ect.

AJ
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
No argument, Andre. You're right - I did write The Magic Book for the public so it teaches the basics. But, many card people tell me that they did learn the basics from Close-Up Card Magic. That book, of course, has been re-written, updated, etc., along with four others of my books, in Lorayne: The Classic Collection, Vol. 1. Anyway, your recommendations are right on. Best - HARRY L.

adrianbent
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of adrianbent
A vote here for Michael Ammar's Easy to Master Card Miracles Volumes 1-3 (DVD) by L&L Publishing.
If buying single volumes, I'd start with volume 2 or 1:
Vol 2: Ambitious Card, Twisting the Aces, Dr Daley's Last trick, Kannibal Cards, Card Warp, Card through Handkerchief
Vol 1: 8 Card Brainwave, Las Vegas Leaper, Triumph
are some of my favorites. I use every one of them.
These tricks are a few SOLID CLASSICS that can be done with an ordinary deck and teaches basic sleight technique.
Awesome.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » A foothold on card tricks. Where to begin? First Goals? Suggestions? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL