The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Irving Quant's 'Quantum Mechanics' DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
djwow
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
57 Posts

Profile of djwow
This new DVD looks like it's going to be amazing. I can't wait.

http://www.dananddave.com/new-products/q......easer-2/
Eddie C
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Eddie C
Looks alright. The second teaser kind of lowered my expectations.
Andrew Eng
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Andrew Eng
Looks cool! Will be waiting for the preview to be out this Friday haha
Thus the whole moon shines in every lake,
For it stands high enough.
Trois
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach
594 Posts

Profile of Trois
Not impressed with that trailor. sorry
Not clever enough to come up with something orginal, or did I.
frimuraren12
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of frimuraren12
I hate to say this because both Irving Quant and Dan and Dave are really nice guys.

But I think that this is Magicians magic at its highest level. The move is pretty *** hard and is hard to cover and effects like this can be acomplished in much easier and more clean and magical looking ways.

But I guess this will be a big hit, because its "never been done before"
Mark Ennis
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC
1031 Posts

Profile of Mark Ennis
Quote:
On 2010-05-13 09:10, Trois wrote:
Not impressed with that trailor. sorry

Same here.
ME
davebuck
View Profile
V.I.P.
Los Angeles
68 Posts

Profile of davebuck
Quote:
On 2010-05-13 10:55, frimuraren12 wrote:
The move is pretty *** hard and is hard to cover and effects like this can be acomplished in much easier and more clean and magical looking ways.

Granted, the Distribution Technique is difficult, but not any more so than a side steal, double lift or pass. And to say it's hard to cover just means you haven't put in the time. The DPS is hard to cover, but when done well, it's invisible.

Of course the effect seen in the 2nd teaser can be achieved with an easier technique, but the details could not be (at least not to our knowledge and with a regular deck of 52 cards). In my opinion, it's the cleanest most direct version of this effect.

Those who appreciate sleight of hand card magic will love Quantum Mechanics.
m.taylor
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of m.taylor
I'm a move monkey, I'll enjoy it.
NickyEvil
View Profile
New user
Hong Kong SAR
37 Posts

Profile of NickyEvil
Effect look awesome
I think I'll enjoy that dvd
Irving Quant
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of Irving Quant
Hey guys, thanks for the comments. The Distribution Technique is something that I am sure will be a sleight you will be finding yourself playing with and coming up with things for it. As the name implies, it allows you to distribute cards invisibly through the deck.

I ask that you please watch the video. In it I actually do the move straight on to the camera (even though, like any other sleights, burning it shows a little bit of "handling"----show me a guy who can do a pass without this?) I've used this in my professional repertoire, so it isn't some half-baked pipe dream technique. It works, and I am sure you will find it of interest.

Quantum Mechanics DVD--Available now at:

http://store.dananddave.com/quantum-mech......ant.html
Lyle H. Borders
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Lyle H. Borders
I cannot say that I am typically a fan of DVDs that revolve around a single “groundbreaking” concept. I was skeptical about this whole project between Irving Quant and Dan and Dave Buck. The first teaser I saw was the Samurai Cut. I did not know what to think. When the full trailer was released, I became far more excited about Quantum Mechanics. Now that I have played with the ideas and tricks in the DVD, I bring you a review of what I find to be one of my favorite recent acquisitions in magic.

Sleights
The Distribution Technique
Let’s start with an important fact – The DVD revolves around this sleight. The Distribution Technique is a clever way to control cards from the top of the deck into multiple places in the deck. The method is knacky, but very doable. The Distribution Technique is NOT a flashy, visual sleight. In fact, you really don’t want people looking at your hands as it happens. Do not let this sway you. You are covered. If you are more than an amateur, you won’t have problems utilizing this.
-Angles
You are mostly covered with the Distribution Technique. There is a potential angle problem from one side that is taken care of by simply holding the cards at the correct angle. Aside from that, your only real angle problem comes from an Over-The-Shoulder view. I don’t know that there is a real way to solve the OTS angle problem, but at the same time you aren’t likely to ever have to solve that problem.
-Movement
Heads up – There is telltale movement. It is an odd movement as far as fishy movements go. You can tell that the hands are moving, but it does not look like a “move.” With practice, the movement simply looks like you are running your fingers along the edges of the deck, similar to squaring the deck. Irving covers the most important subtlety that takes the “big” movement and makes is MUCH smaller. The movement is realistically not a problem if you are moderately skilled.
-Notes
I talked with Irving about this move and he informed me that he always tries to use this move under cover of misdirection. This is not really different than any other move that is not meant to be visual. If you are doing the pass and want it to be invisible, you don’t call attention to it. You use it during the off-beat of your routine. The Distribution Technique is no different. I was a little disappointed at first, I will not lie. The disappointment quickly vanished as I began to watch the tricks on Quantum Mechanics (I began practicing the sleight after watching only the section on the Distribution Technique.) The DT is a hidden utility move that accomplishes very cool things. The DT allows you to do a lot of work by doing visibly nothing.
Thering Multiple Shift
I wonder where this sleight has been all of my life. I love it. This shift is a way to control cards placed into various places in the deck to the same place under the guise of pushing the cards into the deck. This is not a sleight for every situation, but it can be very convincing and is relatively easy.
-Angles
This is a sleight best viewed from the front. In fact, a straight ahead, down looking spectator will be perfect. You have need to be concerned with anyone directly at either side, though the problem is not as big as you may think. So long as your spectator is ahead of you and you control the angle of the deck properly, you’ve nothing to worry about.

-Movement
The worst thing about this sleight is the thing that, sadly, makes it work. There is a moment in the sleight where “too much” cover is given to the deck. This is overcome however with practice and a healthy dose of confidence.

-Notes
Though this sleight has one serious drawback, its applications more than make up for it. It fits in perfectly with the tricks that I will discuss later. That fact that you can use this shift to control multiple cards in different places in the deck to the top, bottom, 2nd from top, or nearly any other place, all together, makes this shift a very powerful tool. Consider this a part of my working repertoire already.

Atfus Variation
Irving’s take on the Any Time Face Up Switch by Ed Marlo. This is another keeper. I really have no issue with this sleight. It takes practice to get smooth and seamless, but what doesn’t? In this sleight, you are able to show four face-up cards on top of the face-down deck. In this process you cleanly switch out the bottom 3 face-up cards for other face-down cards. The face-up cards are cleanly hidden in perfect position for the Distribution Technique.
-Angles
Next to no angle problems are present in this move. You would have to have someone under the deck, or very low and to the side. This is very clean.
-Movement
There is no real fishy movement here at all. The biggest drawback is the fact that the sleight happens on top of the deck. That said it is as clean as can be. It does not have the look of a false count, because you really are counting the cards one by one in a very legitimate manner. There is simply a little something extra that you do that creates a beautiful illusion.

Tricks
Shotgun
-Plot
Four (or another small number) face up cards cleanly and instantly vanish from the top of the deck and are found distributed throughout the deck.
-Difficulty
This is about as simple as you can go with the Distribution Technique. This is what the DT is made for. No move money stuff here. If you are at an intermediate level, you will be fine with this.
-Notes
Not the most impressive thing in the world, but it is simple and powerful nonetheless. The description of the plot can really not add anything more. Irving includes two small variations to suit individual preferences. I may well use one of these variations as a part of an in depth ACR.
Katana Spread
-Plot
The performer explains that he will find the four aces in the deck with ease because they have been treated to be slick. He simply spreads the deck. The face-down spread has obvious gaps in it. These are said to be the aces. The performer squares the deck and instantly spreads it once more, this time, in the place of the gaps, the audience sees face-up aces.
-Difficulty
Easy. Once you learn to do the DT, this trick is nothing. Almost self working from the moment you use the DT.
-Notes
I lost it when I first saw the performance. I was watching SOOO hard and I even knew the DT. The whole thing just fried me. There is literally NOTHING done after the first spread. The deck is squared cleanly and spread again. Extremely simple and hard hitting. The spectator sees nothing fishy, just something impossible.
Pure Slap
-Plot
The four kings are placed face up on the deck. The four aces are inserted face up into different parts of the deck. In an instant, the kings on top of the deck and the aces in the deck switch places.
-Difficulty
Somewhat harder than the previous tricks, but not overly difficult. You will need some classic sleight of hand experience. I was doing this without much problem very soon after I began to get the Distribution Technique down.
-Notes
I enjoy this a lot. Very direct and very simple. It looks just the way it sounds. Irving also teaches a variation that allows you to finish this trick, and immediately reverse the effect, swapping the new cards on top of the deck and the cards inside the deck (See Backslap below.) To me, this trick is the heart and soul of the DVD. Not my all time favorite effect, but without a doubt a keeper.
Backslap
Backslap is hardly another trick. It is a simple variation on Pure Slap. Slightly harder, but the exact same concept done slightly different. That said, it too is a keeper.
Samurai Cut
-Plot
The deck is slid across a table. As it slides, it divides into packets. The top card of each packet is found to be one of the aces.
-Difficulty
Fairly easy. The hardest part is the throw. The throw is knacky, but comes with practice. Other than the throw, the trick is a piece of cake.
-Notes
This is the trick that I wanted to learn from the previews. I will be adding this to my close-up card set. Simple and direct, just like most of the material on this DVD.
Nyquist 1
-Plot
The four kings are set aside. Four selections are made. The deck is spread and the cards are inserted into the spread. The deck is fairly squared. The four kings are placed on the deck and instantly disappear. They appear face up inside the deck next to each selection.
-Difficulty
Harder than the other tricks so far. This involves more sleight of hand. Intermediate level trick at hardest. Everything you need to know is taught here.
-Notes
Not sure that this one will end up in my repertoire, but it is still very clever. I just don’t think it is my style. I may grow to love it more, but it just doesn’t grab my attention.
Nyquist 2
-Plot
This shares the same exact plot as Shotgun. There is a difference that I cannot explain without revealing too much, but it makes this potentially a more powerful trick than Shotgun.
-Difficulty
This involves more work than Shotgun. In Shotgun only the DT and one classic sleight is involved. In this trick there is more. Intermediate at hardest.
-Notes
I might well pick up this into my own set instead of Shotgun because of the level of impossibility it introduces.
Ricochet
-Plot
The Kings are placed face up on the deck. The aces are inserted face-up into different parts of the deck. In an instant, they change places. The aces are then placed face down on the table in front of the spectator. The deck is riffled, and the aces are all found to be face up in the deck while the cards in front of the spectator have become the kings.
-Difficulty
No doubt the hardest trick on the DVD. Higher intermediate level. There is quite a bit of sleight of hand here. By no means impossible, but harder than the rest of the DVD.
-Notes
My favorite trick on the DVD. I love the impossibility of this trick. It (in combination with the Distribution Technique) is worth the price of the DVD and then some all on its own. I screamed when I saw the performance. This is without a doubt going into my own daily routine.
Ace Cutting 1
-Plot
You hand the deck out to be shuffled. You take the deck and set it in front of you. One at a time you simply cut to each ace.
-Difficulty
Easy. There is not much that is tricky about this.
-Notes
If you are looking for a straight forward ace cutting trick, this is about as simple as it gets. I already have one that I like that is more complex, but you may find this to suit your own style.
Ace Cutting 2
-Plot
Ace Cutting 1 with a surprise twist at the end. This is the closer to Irving’s close up show.
-Difficulty
No different than Ace Cutting 1.
-Notes
I enjoy this version better. The kicker at the end is almost more magical than cutting to the aces. No doubt this is Irving’s closer.

All in all, this DVD is well worth looking into. I have picked up four or five keepers for my various sets, and three new sleights that I will use on a regular basis. The production quality is just as you would expect from the Bucks, and everything is taught well. After having had time to play with the whole DVD and all the material, I have no complaints. This has earned a rare place on my Highly Recommended list.
theronmagic
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of theronmagic
I have seen Irving work in person for real people, and can say that this material kills! For those who say that that the material is too difficult, I say you don’t practice.
Magically,
Theron
Robert//Livingston
View Profile
New user
Still learning after
97 Posts

Profile of Robert//Livingston
I've been wanting to pick this up, but feel I don't have the 'chops' to pull off the DT. Maybe after I master the pass, and palming I'll venture out into this. It looks great though.
"Being challenged in life is inevitable, being defeated is optional."

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, and the lesson after" - Vernon Sanders Law
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1633 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
Just to give you some thing to think about; If you wait until AFTER you MASTER the pass, DVD's will no longer be the main mediium by which people view movies. In other words, it's going to be a long while. Just practice it along with other material and you'll do fine.

Best,

Dorian Rhodell
Eddie C
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Eddie C
Quote:
On 2010-05-23 00:45, Robert//Livingston wrote:
I've been wanting to pick this up, but feel I don't have the 'chops' to pull off the DT. Maybe after I master the pass, and palming I'll venture out into this. It looks great though.

You must be really patient to wait a decade to pick up one DVD...
Irving Quant
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of Irving Quant
Wow, thanks for the review Lyle! Thank you guys for the great response to the DVD. It's been great to be able to share something that I hold dear to my magic, and I hope that it serves everyone as well as it has served me.

As for Robert learning the pass...I could just tell you "you'll be fine, buy it" just to make a buck, but instead I'm going to say that if you are starting in magic this is something that maybe you should wait for indeed. It has some technical stuff that need a bit of experience, but really not much work as that of a pass. So it's up to you really. I always say: Learn the classics and then move on to the new stuff, even if the new stuff is easier or looks better. Get that base strong and start building up from there!

Again, thank you all for the great support!
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
I cannot make a judgment on this just from the teaser trailers. The first looks nice, the second, a bit dodgy, but again, we are seeing something isolated.

I read Lyle's review closely (welcome and a heck of a first post Lyle) and what troubled me when he was discussing the moves was the repeated weaknesses in terms of angles and instances like the Thering multiple shift that are best done in only certain circumstances. I guess I am curious as to why I would want to switch from the multiple shifts I do already that can be done anytime, anywhere - yes I did read it is a way to control cards to various parts of the pack as they are pushed flush. But, the technique Harry Lorayne gives in the Vernon's Aces effect already does the job and the technique can be done anywhere and anytime.

This looks like it COULD be promising, and I sense that Irving is a serious student of card magic. However, I think on this one I will wait for reviews from people like Tom Frame and others before taking the leap. No offense Lyle. You write well, but, I also feel you are too close to the product. Dan and Dave's website shows you are the online projects manager. I am not questioning your integrity whatsoever, but, when someone's first post is a review of a product the company is selling and the person reviewing the product is PART of the company, I hope you can understand my trepidation.

I am also looking forward to reviews from Café members like Etienne, Ben Train, and other heavy hitters as well as the major magazines Genii and Magic.

Irving, if this is reviewed by people not connected to the company selling your DVD, and the reviews are favorable, you will definitely have a sale from me. I wish you the best.

Lyle, I DO hope that the Café will see more of you. I visited dananddave.com and noticed you have 321 posts there and 1 here. I realize you are the online products manager and perhaps do not have the luxury of posting here as often.

I have my flame suit donned for my post because I sense some heat coming, but, I cannot take a review - no matter how well it is written - too seriously from a company representative who clearly has a stake if not monetarily then in some other capacity to see this product sell. Dan and Dave Buck have attracted some excellent hitters. I love Derek DelGaudio's Truffle Shuffle, and I also love Chad Nelson's work on LePaul's Spread Pass. Obviously with names like David Williamson, R. Paul Wilson, John Carney, Kostya Kimlat, and Syd Segal, Dan and Dave are doing a splendid job bringing the works of these excellent magicians to the community. I suppose I am just curious as to why this particular product merited one post from the online projects manager considering the other products available.

Time and unbiased reviews will tell.

Ahimsa,
Vlad

PS: I have looked through the Genii forums and I have not seen any mention of this DVD, nor a review from Lyle. Have I missed it?
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Quote:
On 2010-05-25 02:37, Vlad_77 wrote:
I am also looking forward to reviews from Café members like Etienne, Ben Train, and other heavy hitters as well as the major magazines Genii and Magic.

hehehe. If I'm a heavy hitter on here then we have a serious problem!

I don't have the dvd yet but I'll be seeing the Bucks this summer, at the Sorcerer's Safari camp (I hope they'll be my counselor this year!), and I'll try and snag a copy then. I have a bunch of things I want to write reviews for in the meantime, including Rune Klan's book and Richard Hucko's DVD (which I've been meaning to do for several MONTHS now!), plus I have Tyler's book review- http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=218 - that I'm still working on, so we'll have to see. The one thing I do know is that the Buck's seem to have excellent taste in magic, as can be seen by their recent partnerships with David Williamson, Derrik Delgadio, David Jade, etc. If their previous releases are any indication then this should be a winner as well!

Ben
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
Lyle H. Borders
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Lyle H. Borders
Vlad,

I do indeed understand your view. I would expect it from anyone who has a half grain of sense in them. If you are going to take a review seriously, you need to look at the source.

To clarify, I helped Dan and Dave out in the past by holding and promoting contests on their website. That is about the end of my connection to them. They are not currently holding contests, so I do next to nothing there. Funny enough, I have never met them in person.

I did, however, volunteer to do an in depth review for Quantum Mechanics. I know what teasers and trailers are like. I know what descriptions of products are like. They tell you the beautiful parts of the product, and leave out the details. I am trying to aid the magic community in providing the real meat of the product without revealing the "secrets." I do have issues with Quantum Mechanics. You can find them in the review above. However, I do find that the flaws are outweighed many times over by the beauty of the techniques.

No flames necessary. I do not, can not, and will not hide connections to Dan and Dave. I had nothing to do with the creation of any of the material, but I am biased in favor of their products. That said, I will do a review for most anyone in the manner I have done above. I am for the advancement of the art. I appreciate your points Vlad, they also help advance the art by causing people to think about the whole picture.

L
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Your review was well written, and I hope to see more reviews from you Lyle.

Welcome to the Café!!

Ahimsa,
Vlad
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Irving Quant's 'Quantum Mechanics' DVD (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL