The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » So what exactly do you need in the UK to perform hypnosis legally? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I was very interested in hypnosis for a while - but found I could do what I wanted via suggestion instead, and..basically...lying and acting to make it look like hypnosis...

but if I did want to train properly, and use it during a parlour setting (say downstairs in a bar where they'd hold comedy nights as an example) - what would I legally need to do?
I've asked to be banned
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Does anyone know?!
I've asked to be banned
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Temper temper!
Although some angry hypnotist will arrive soon and tell you this advice is nonsense, For the purpose you require you need no legal requirement. Unless of course you were ding an actual performance, which would take you from a corner of the room where you're having some fun into the commercial world where you would need insurance. UNLESS you don't mention the word hypnosis, other than to deny its usage.
As to learning the stuff, I've never read a book yet that DIDN'T explain it well enough. It's ALL about doing it and being it.
Having sadi that Iain do feel free to ring my bell and I'll help where I can.
Bob
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Sorry - should explain further really, for a proper, paid mentalism show...parlour style (no more than 60 people)...what are my legal obligations? cheers...
I've asked to be banned
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
A very relaxed hypnotist will tell you that you need a license for any public "demonstration" of hypnosis which will also require public liability insurance. These are your legal obligations. You might get away with it without its a risk you have to take.

Only today I turned down a gig because it wasn't worth going through all the application for a license and I didn't want to risk causing problems with my license for the festival.

THESE ARE YOUR LEGAL OBLIGATIONS. Just ask the local council and you will find out. Denying usage is ok until something happens.

Just to repeat ANY PUBLIC "DEMONSTRATION" OF HYPNOSIS PAID OR UNPAID LEGALLY REQUIRES A LICENSE.

What is not commonly know by venues is that by not having a license they too can be liable to fines and losing their own license.

Sure you might go down the road of taking the risk you might get away with it. But above are your LEGAL OBLIGATIONS.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Blimey...i think I've gone deaf...

cheers MP...thats all I needed to know...

I only ask cos I'm working on a presentation based on the film Scanners...
I've asked to be banned
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Sorry for the shouting Iain some are tone deaf on here.

I think making peoples heads explode might be ilegal too.

You would probably get away with it esp if you don't say anything on your poster about it. But there is no guarantee and there is £1000 fine which some councils down south have vowed to enforce. So where you are may be contributing factor to the risk involved.

Then again if something was to go wrong...And believe me it does from time to time.
Nongard1
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of Nongard1
Had ANYONE actually been fined for NOT having a permit or violating the 1952 hypnotism act in the UK?
Who and When?
Dr. Richard Nongard, Professional Hypnosis Training
Learn how to master the art of SpeedTrance, Clinical and Stage Hypnosis
Hypno
View Profile
Regular user
England
118 Posts

Profile of Hypno
Hi,

I do not know of anyone who has been successfully prosecuted under the Hypnotism Act 1952, however the law is the law and just because you may get away with breaking it is hardly a reason to go around wilfully breaking the law.

Kind Regards.
Hypno.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
If you do small venues then chances are you would be ok. Larger or more prominent venues you must have a license and you must have insurance. I have heard of numerous people who have had shows stopped because they had no license. In fact speaking to an agent in glasgow recently he said he hasn't booked a hypnotist in over 10 years because Glasgow council actively stopped all the performances without licenses.

There are some councils in the UK recently that have said they will be taking action and enforcing the £1000 fine.

However I think the biggest danger now adays is that our culture has changed. With no win no fee injury lawyers advertising all the time the chances of someone claiming against you are much higher these days.

If you don't have a license or the insurance it won't look to good. Plus the venue is also liable. As in the Robert Halpern case where someone broke their hip after jumping off stage. He was sued for £10k and the venue 90k.

Should the popularity of hypnosis rise again (and I think it will and already is)it would only take a claim or two to make the media headlines and I think we will see some clamping down once again of hypnosis.

To disregard the law and perform with no insurance or license is irresponsable and if the numbers increase so do the chances of it hurting the "industry" before it can grow again.

So to answer Richard's question. They usually get stopped before rather than prosecuted. Which means if you want ignore the law you have to do small dodgy venues and you cannot advertise your event widely.

Where I am these types of hypno shows have more or less disappeared due to the recession since pubs are closing down all over the place.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Another unfortunate thing is that councils now see issuing a license as a revenue stream. When I first started it was free. In Edinburgh it now costs £106 per venue/event

I believe other councils can be more expensive. On top of that I have to pay £850 for insurance. (for a year)

Plus there are new rules as to how many stewards you need etc.

Its much tougher these days to make the kind of real money you used to make in the old days.
Hypno
View Profile
Regular user
England
118 Posts

Profile of Hypno
Hi Mindpunisher,

It is worth noting that Hypnotism Act 1952 (as amended) only provides for a London Borough to set a fee and therefore there is no power for any other borough council to charge an application fee for a license.
I hope this may help.

Kind Regards.
Hypno.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
That's not true all councils can set a fee. I just paid £106?
Hypno
View Profile
Regular user
England
118 Posts

Profile of Hypno
Hi MP,

Have a look here http://www.wyrebc.gov.uk/Page.aspx?DocID=14785&PgeID=70439 or http://www.northdevon.gov.uk/licensing_committee_report.pdf or http://www.n-somerset.gov.uk/cairo/docs/doc20026.htm .
I am not trying to start a disagreement only hoping I can make life a little easier for a fellow stage hypnotist.

All the best.
Hypno.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Edinburgh council seems to charge for everything these days. I will asl equity about this. It used to be free. If I can get it for free I will let you know.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I know Scotland is slightly different to England so they may be able to charge an "admin fee".

I will look into it

Thanks
Hypno
View Profile
Regular user
England
118 Posts

Profile of Hypno
Hi MP,

Please let me know how it works out as I have no experience of requesting licenses in Scotland.

All the best.
Hypno
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I do know they are asking for £106. But they have option to offer permission as a sort of extension to the entertainment license which English and Welsh councils don't have. Which might mean they can charge for it? Either way they do charge which makes it very difficult for smaller venues to get permission and do it legit since it will dog well into the hypnotists fees.
pape
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of pape
I understand this licensing thing applies only to public exhibitions. No license is required for most venues such as clubs, colleges or corporate bookings because these events are held on private property and as such are not under the jurisdictions of councils etc;
Hypno
View Profile
Regular user
England
118 Posts

Profile of Hypno
Hi MP,

I think that might explain the difference as the 2003 licencing Act ended the possibility of permission for a hypnosis show to be granted as an extension of the entertainment license in England and Wales.
If you find out any further information I would be very interested to hear it.

Kind Regards.
Hypno.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » So what exactly do you need in the UK to perform hypnosis legally? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL