The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » I can't help but trickle... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Munskin
View Profile
Loyal user
Cheshire, UK
297 Posts

Profile of Munskin
Hi guys,

I've been having a real problem performing a set show. For some reason, most people stay for one trick then move on, meaning that, more often than not, I end up performing a trickle show with people putting in a pound at a time. While this is ok, I really want to do a set show. I have my three tricks (all cards, but lots of fun interaction!). I just wondered what you guys did when the crowd clears through your show, despite me talking up the finale etc.

Also, considering I just do a doorway show, how many people should I have in my crowd before I start the show? Due to the above issue, I've tended to start after I have about five people, but was wondering if I should wait until I have more than this, to help develop a crowd mentality?

I realise that these are very general questions, but any tips and advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

John
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Kozmo has some interesting thoughts on how to avoid this and I believe it's on his Tales of the Street DVD. It has to do with applause. Very interesting.

What exactly are you doing at the end of that first trick? Every second counts.

One thing you can do is to hand out a prop that you'll be using for your second trick during your first trick. If that person is part of a small group of people, none of them will leave, or they would certainly feel awkward leaving anyway.

so.. using a simple technique like that should keep them around unless you're first trick is just awful.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Munskin
View Profile
Loyal user
Cheshire, UK
297 Posts

Profile of Munskin
Quote:
On 2010-05-15 12:14, Frank Starsini wrote:
so.. using a simple technique like that should keep them around unless you're first trick is just awful.

lol, well I hope my first trick is not awful. They all seem to get a decent reaction from people (I've had two people throw in £5 notes today). At the end of the effect, the deck is passed out in a job sharing type shuffle and my 'Super secret psychic mystery envelope of death is brought out. I try to make sure everything flows with no pauses, I also talk up my finale. Never mind, I'll keep working on it. Maybe it was just a bad day. Here's hoping Smile

John
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
As an experiment, hand out an odd prop that you'll be using in your next trick.
see what happens.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Munskin
View Profile
Loyal user
Cheshire, UK
297 Posts

Profile of Munskin
Frank,

Thanks for the advice. I'm going back out tomorrow so I'll try that out.

Thanks,

John
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
All cards? Do you have something else for variety? Rope? Chop cup?
Two is enough to begin a routine. You can draw in others as they go by.

"Pardon me, could you help us out here?"

Definitely get Kozmo's DVD.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Munskin
View Profile
Loyal user
Cheshire, UK
297 Posts

Profile of Munskin
It seems that I have a lot to buy Smile

Yeah, all cards. Seems that I break every rule in the book, but because I've always done cards, I can relax with them more and let my personality shine through. In my mind, the cards are just tools, the main thing is my interaction and using cards allows me to focus on that, rather than get worried about technique or other stuff.

John
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
670 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
John, sounds like you're doing fine. If I were getting five pound notes for one card trick, I would probably just repeat that all day.
People may not be staying because they have somewhere to go. Try another spot, another day or another time.
Start with small goals. Next time you go out, try to keep them for two tricks.
Tell them it will only be one minute, so they can relax.
Make any promises during the middle of the trick; not once it's over. For example, have a card selected, then promise them the incredible finale, THEN reveal their card. After the card is revealed the audience has less reason to stay and are more likely to walk.
Finally, in my opinion, if you like card tricks, then do card tricks. Stick to what you like and do well.
Munskin
View Profile
Loyal user
Cheshire, UK
297 Posts

Profile of Munskin
RiffRaff,

Thanks for the reply and assistance. I'm going to work at talking up the finale and constantly building. I'm going to see how it goes tomorrow, just doing lil old card tricks again and again Smile

John
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Yeah I had (still have but getting better) the same problem. I find it is a case of flowing the trick together because as soon as you stop people think it’s the end and leave. So the things I phocused on.
- Build a crowd with a repeatable trick (silk vanish)
- Explain it’s a show and what’s in that show how long is it.
- Invite people in all the time.
- Explain there’s more.
- Have your props laid out looking ready for use.

The first point took me a while but I would build my confidence by saying ill start when I have 10 people then next show 15 so on a see how it goes. The second point worked for me right away I tighter it up and it works like a dream. If you cant have props out as your using a deck of cards is there a predication you could have hanging from your stand or a tree which is always a draw which you keep referring to. I use a line for the coat escape which goes a don’t forget still to come the trick which stunned a Victorian audience here in London.

This are real things that worked for me as I found my self feeling like you did. The one thing I forgot and it seem you have is your doing really well just getting out there making a bit of cash is great.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
You are doing "3" card tricks, the lay person see "oh, another card trick" and they walk. the first one might make you look clever, the second is insulting them.

On rare occasion you will find some one who will watch card tricks all day, If you play to that person the rest will walk, if you play to some one else that person will, (a) but in. or (b) walk.

By pulling out another prop, the lay person will go wow whats next? and stay.
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
TheGiz
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of TheGiz
What is your boffo finish that I need to hang around for? I also do the trickle, BUT end up with a pitch for money at the end. I was thinking why I do it this way... I started out busking playing music. They ALWAYS do the trickle with the guitar case open. I think it conditioned me to this way of thinking. It seems people have a shorter attention span, so the trickle seems to be a better answer to the problem.. I HATE to see people leave mid show without at least giving them the opportunity to give something. My $$$ can is ALWAYS out. I've had many people pay as they leave for a dinner date or whatever. I have found that a pitch at the end increases my hat.
http://blackbeltmagician.com

"And it's a good thing I only use my power for good!!!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » I can't help but trickle... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL