We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Hearing test (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I couldn't hear any of them. But my implant isn't set to hear some sounds yet. I'll try again in a few months to see what happens.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Nosher
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Nosher
It's great that you can try now!
Escapemaster-in-chief from all sorts of houdingplaces - Finnegans Wake
Bill
View Profile
Veteran user
and Pretty Nice Guy
379 Posts

Profile of Bill
Quote:
On 2010-05-15 20:42, landmark wrote:
Only got up to 10,000 here. *Sigh*

http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/......that.php

I consider my hearing to be pretty good. I was shocked to find out that I couldn't hear 8000. Fortunately I went to another site http://www.egopont.com/hearing_tests.php......9001;=en and was able to hear up to 20,000. Seems my computer doesn't play some web based autio players. Whew...
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Well,a person can have great hearing and still not be able to hear certain pitches. Look at the image of the cochlea in the given link in the OP (4th image down). This is the part that can identify the pitch of sounds. The wider part picks up low pitch and the narrower part toward the middle picks up high pitch sounds. The sounds moves little hair nerves. The hair nerves work kind of like a needle on a record player. If even a small portion of these hair nerves are damaged then you won't be able to hear that pitch very well or at all. Something as simple as an ear infection can cause hair nerve damage. Damaged or missing hair nerves is the most common hearing loss. When someones hearing goes as they get older this is usually why. It's the main reason I was deaf too (Also have inner ear scaring and nerve damage).

My cochlear implant works by running an array or electrodes into this cochlea. The electrodes take the place of the hair nerves. Instead of sound reaching the hearing nerve that goes to the brain by way of the movement of the hair nerves. It's sent to the hearing nerve by the electrodes. Basically you all hear like a needle of a record player. I hear more like digital sound.

Just thought I'd share that. I've learned a lot about hearing in my life. Especially this past year.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
They have an ap for the iphone that makes a tone that the 25 and under crowd can hear. I use it at my work, its fun to mess with the kids
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
My 98 year old mother in law can't hear anything, that is what you guys have to look forward to.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Hearing test (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL