The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Hearing test (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Only got up to 10,000 here. *Sigh*

http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/......that.php
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous

I'm friends with a couple who are 10 years older than me. I was just getting used to the fact that none of us could read the descriptions on a menu, in a dimly lit room. Now my buddy has adjusted his stereo EQ, in such a way that his wife and I can't tolerate the booming and piercing frequencys. But he thinks it sounds great.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I just got my son to try this. He hears to 18,000 Hz. Really amazing the differences in perception in certain areas that I tend to take for granted. Interesting what it may mean to our audiences.

Scroll down to the middle of the article to click on the various frequencies.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
My son also made it to 18,000. He's 10...11 this Tuesday.

I only made it to 12,000. It seemed important to me to beat Josh, but it wasn't to be.

I want my wife to take the test, but she is unlikely to find it interesting. She's funny that way.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
12k here on my pc monitor.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
749 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Facing it head on I got to 14k.
Turning to the left and using my right ear more,I got to 17k
Turning to the right and using my left ear more,I got 12k.
Obviously the ears don't deteriorate evenly,give it a try,if you can be bothered.
My daughter,whose 16,heard the lot.
Interestingly,they're using this sort of high pitched noise as a way to stop kids hanging around certain areas,and avoid anti-social behaviour.
I think it's called the cricket,or something similar.Speakers are attatched to walls at the blackspots,usually rows of shops,and intermittent blasts of a certain frequency are broadcast.Apparently it drives the kids mad,but doesn't affect older people.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
I could hear up to and including the 16000Hz sample.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Mosquito - and yes it's annoying about 22khz
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
Quote:
Interestingly,they're using this sort of high pitched noise as a way to stop kids hanging around certain areas,and avoid anti-social behaviour.
I think it's called the cricket,or something similar.Speakers are attatched to walls at the blackspots,usually rows of shops,and intermittent blasts of a certain frequency are broadcast.Apparently it drives the kids mad,but doesn't affect older people.

Horrifying.

Such devices are banned in Belgium and if I recall correctly France as well. The legality of the device is highly dubious under law in the EU, both under the ECHR and laws covering assault.

Regardless of the law, the use of such a device is shameful. I hope anyone who comes across one makes their views known to the operators.
Send me the truth: davitsicseek@gmail.com
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Anyone know if this is a logarithmic scale? That would be even more embarrassing.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
My daughter can hear 18,000.
I PM'd Ron Jaxon, to test out his bionic ear.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
I got up to 14,000, but then again, I used to be a drummer so it's not surprising I can't hear anything higher.

I think my dog went crazy, though.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
749 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Quote:
On 2010-05-16 14:44, Davit Sicseek wrote:
Quote:

Horrifying.

Such devices are banned in Belgium and if I recall correctly France as well. The legality of the device is highly dubious under law in the EU, both under the ECHR and laws covering assault.

Regardless of the law, the use of such a device is shameful. I hope anyone who comes across one makes their views known to the operators.

It's normally the local councils who fit them.They're obviously in charge of planning permission as well,so what they say goes.I'm not sure if anybody has challenged their legality here(UK).
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
It's a shame the (old) UK government didn't take a stonger stance against the devices.

I'd love to see someone sue a Council employing the device under human rights laws. Liberty have been running a campaing against their use:
http://www.liberty-human-rights.org.uk/i......to.shtml

Is there a device that will disperse black people? What about gays? Since this device started hitting the headlines, I've been amazed at the number of people that have been happy to defend such a device.
Send me the truth: davitsicseek@gmail.com
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
I can barely hear the 12K and my 13-year-old daughter can barely hear the 18k.

Back in the early 80s when I was a technician for an oil company, we installed gas flow computers in a bunch of gas plants. All the younger operators complained that that the computers were driving them nuts, but the older operators couldn't hear what the problem was. As you've all guessed, the power supply was switching about 12 - 14 kHz (I forget exactly) and the old guys had no idea.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
thorndyke
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of thorndyke
We took a pass on buying the mosquito device for our building. My boss summed up the problem; "When you can prove to me that only youth that are able to hear this device are ALL going to commit criminal acts, and that NONE of the older people who can't hear it are committing criminal acts whatsoever, than maybe we can get one."
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I was very shocked that on speakers I heard up to the 14k. I have some hearing loss but that seems to be in the range most of you can hear.
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
I could hear up to 17000, but no higher. Not bad for 40 (Considering how much time I spent in clubs with loud music).
G
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I don't even hear the 8,000 in my good ear.

When I could not hear the sound, I pulled back the file and had other people listen, thinking the might be an issue with the sound file. No such luck.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
I can hear the 14k (barely) using my PC speakers, but I couldn't hear it at all with my ancient Sony headphones. Guess I have to replace my headphones now.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Hearing test (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL