We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » RIP Ronnie James Dio (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
One of classic metal's all-time great vocalists, Ronnie James Dio of Black Sabbath, Rainbow, and solo fame, has passed away at 67. He was still rocking hard - got a great video of him 2 years ago at Radio City Music Hall with Heaven and Hell (essentially Sabbath), and saw him live from the 4th row about 6 years ago. Prolific career from his mid-teens; he predated the Beatles as a professional. Hearing Rainbow in the Dark for the first time changed my musical tastes forever, and "Heaven and Hell" (the song, not the band) is an easy top-5 in my book.

Also the original of the "devil's horns" international sign language symbol for metal. Iconic!
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmagQ2KmArQ

Dio in his 60s. And I thought MY gramps was cool.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3220 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
The best vocalist in rock and roll. Rainbow, Dio, Sabbath, all classic. Will be missed. Saw him many times and was always outstanding.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
This is just terrible.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
crestfallenLyric
View Profile
Veteran user
307 Posts

Profile of crestfallenLyric
Was really sad about this =(. Dio is amazing, metal has changed for the better thanks to him.
"It is better for a man to honor his profession, than to be honored by it." - Robert-Houdin
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
"If you believe in forever, then life is just a one night stand. If there's a rock and roll heaven, then you know they got a h*** of a band."

Thank you Ronnie for all the music. Your voice was so dynamic; from the most fragile ballads to absolutely crushing metal goodness. John, George, Stevie, Jimi, Jim, Janis, and the rest of the pantheon have a place for you to jam!!

May his memory be eternal.

Vlad
cardone
View Profile
Special user
856 Posts

Profile of cardone
He was a living legend and now he is a GOD !!!! Hail DIO !!!!
Voldemort
View Profile
Special user
Florida
562 Posts

Profile of Voldemort
I'll truly miss him.

Some of the best memories of my childhood echo with Ronnie's voice. May he RIP.
"Flight from death"
Buy the WILD AT HEART e-book to help Rachael Columbini here: http://www.lybrary.com/wild-heart-p-76110.html
Big Jeff
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of Big Jeff
Saw DIO open for aerosmith in the early 80s and DIO blew them away.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Oh, no. This really saddens me. Dio was always one of my favorites. He had a big influence on me and my band during the 80s. Durintg that time he was tops in my book. For a small guy "Leather Lungs" had a voice that was unbelievable. I'll miss you Ronnie, but thanks for all the great music you left behind.

R.I.P. R.J.D.

:(

Regan
Mister Mystery
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Even Ozzy Osbourne had praise for Ronnie...I saw Ozzie and Black Sabbath in '71 at the University of Miami on Halloween night on the soccer field. Alas, I never saw Dio though, but he was a rocker! Smile
Rest In Peace Brother! Smile

Cardamagically,
Dom Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Dom, I never got to see Dio live either. I saw Ozzy 3 times during his Blizzard of Oz daze.....er....days, but never with Sabbath. I saw so many concerts, and wanted to see Ronnie so badly, but never got to. I think that is one reason that hearing this news has effected me so.
Mister Mystery
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I got to see Dio at the old Big Easy. It was a smallish venue. Bigger than many clubs but not nearly an arena. It was frickin awesome.
~Will Rogers
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Did he look taller in smaller venues?

Critter, when I tried to rant at you over the last quarter year I couldn't track down cuz that comedy club you hang out doesn't have info that works on getting hold of you...hippie.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
He was short. I always thought it bothered him too. I've seen several of his live concerts of DIO on video, and I noticed he would be wearing high-heeled boots, and his bandmates would be wearing flat-bottomed shoes. Lots of times when Ronnie and the guitarist and/or bass player would be rocking together the bandmates would be all spread out and their heights looked about the same. I always wondered if that was a required thing if you were in Ronnie's band. I truly admired his abilities. He had a big influnce on me, especially my songwriting back in the day.
Mister Mystery
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2010-05-19 17:41, MagicSanta wrote:
Did he look taller in smaller venues?

Critter, when I tried to rant at you over the last quarter year I couldn't track down cuz that comedy club you hang out doesn't have info that works on getting hold of you...hippie.

Yeah I haven't been there in a while anyway. Too busy with school.
And Dio still looked tiny. He was like Mighty Mouse.
~Will Rogers
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2010-05-20 10:30, critter wrote:
[quote
And Dio still looked tiny. He was like Mighty Mouse.

But he roared like a lion!
Mister Mystery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » RIP Ronnie James Dio (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL