The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Magic & Mentalism of Barrie Richardson dvd set (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Has anyone heard about this set being released? ( grin ) I found a Youtube clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qAVHacxtL4

Barrie is a legend. I've never seen him perform. Anyone else?

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5891 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
L&L is releasing the 3 DVD set of Barrie Richardson. For more details you can go to
prerelease discount.

There is a prelease special discount going on and sets appear to be about 2-3 weeks out from shipping. At least that is what I hear from the rumor mill.

I helped out at this shoot. It was a treat, as always, to see Barrie bring his creations to life.
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
4775 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Good stuff me thinks. Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I'm sure they'll be good, but I couldn't even get through that 1st effect on the demo. I had Theater of the Mind and unfortunately I lost it. I remember liking the effects. He is very boring to watch though. I only like mentalism when it's fast, direct, and impossible.
sleightofhander
View Profile
Special user
592 Posts

Profile of sleightofhander
It will be good to see his creations in action.
Johnny_Dee
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Johnny_Dee
Unfortunatly the teaser on LLPUB didn't convince me to buy it. Maybe that his routines are great but he seems so boring with no entertainementship... I'll have to wait for some reviews.

Johnny
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
The audience reactions should be....interesting ( Brad Henderson shared some thoughts about the L&L shoots here

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=111

Perhaps like the Alex Elmsley shoot, these were done more for an historical record of his work. I don't know if Mr. Richardson actually is a performer. Anyone know?

Chris

Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10323 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Let me start by saying I do not have these or have seen these DVDs and have no financial or interest in them, Barrie Richardson or L&L. I often feel that there are two or perhaps several camps when it comes to performing - the classic more traditional "old school" type performers and performances, and the more contemporary edgy type of performer and performances. Within these there are other sub-types, more of a rocker style, goth or darker, street, glitzy-showy, Vegasy, clowny, etc.

Often times the way a performer looks at DVDs or other material is from their choice of these perspectives. In this day of production values, special effects, elaborate staging, professional venues, etc. it's easy to get caught up in the package or focus only on these presentation of a production, often missing the true value, content and message.

I urge you to see these DVDs and this great material for it's true value not it packaging, promotion or presentation style.

Barrie Richardson is truly one of our great minds and talents. He is a modest man, who I believe is and educator, a professor. His style is "classic", without a lot of flash. His material stands alone, without the need for any flash or stylings. I attended one of Barrie's lectures, and met him briefly. Much of the material in these DVDs was featured at this lecture. His performances were stellar, the material and methods were fantastic. However, if you were looking for a flashy stage performance you would have been disappointed. That was not the point or purpose of the event. But you left absolutely blown away by his mind, thinking, creations and methods.

Lately Barrie has not been in the pop-ular spotlight as much as others who have had recent releases. Heck, I didn't even know these DVDs were in the works. But I assure you these will be worth every penny. They will be a must have for many, especially those that know and have Barrie's two books which are among the very best classics.

I guess the point here is not to judge a book by it's cover or you will be missing out. The true point is to recognize Barrie's genius and then adapt this to your style, whichever it may be.

These are on my must have list and would be happy to review them in time, however, due to some recent emergencies, money is of great concern right now so it may have to wait, but trust me, these have immediately gone to the very top of my "must have" list sight unseen!

Robinn
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Of course clips can be very deceiving. I've seen some that left me cold and having no interest in the DVD. When I finally got around to getting the DVD, they were through the roof fantastic.

To be fair, it's not the fault of the buying public if the clip doesn't excite them ( which is the intent of the company posting them ).

Chris

Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5409 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
I agree on one thing...

If that promo was made to entice buyers, it fell flat on the floor for me.

Would someone not aware of who Barrie is buy those? I have my doubts.

However, the stuff Barrie came up with through all his life is very solid and, besides, why I don't know his present age, the videos may have been recorded, as someone else mentioned for historical reasons.

Was I entertained by the two effects in the promo clip? HARDLY SO.

But was it interesting watching Barrie (which is a gentleman and an inspiring creator) to perform his own effects, particularly his Word Flight which is to me an epic piece? YOU BET!

For that reason alone, these DVDs will go straight into my Mentalism collection.
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
Merlin C
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of Merlin C
Watching the clip, I got a real sense of who Barrie Richardson the person is -- the same sense I got listening to interviews with him and reading his books. I dare say his audiences remember the same thing, which puts him a big one up on a lot of performers.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
I've already pre-ordered the DVDs (and yes, watched the YouTube preview before I did so).

Quote:
On 2010-05-17 20:41, twistedace wrote:
I'm sure they'll be good, but I couldn't even get through that 1st effect on the demo. I had Theater of the Mind and unfortunately I lost it. I remember liking the effects. He is very boring to watch though. I only like mentalism when it's fast, direct, and impossible.

Quote:
On 2010-05-20 10:11, Johnny_Dee wrote:
Unfortunatly the teaser on LLPUB didn't convince me to buy it. Maybe that his routines are great but he seems so boring with no entertainementship... I'll have to wait for some reviews.

Johnny

Here's one review I highly suggest reading: New Barrie Richardson DVDs: Pre-Review

That pre-review, which specifically refers to twistedace's comment, hits the nail on the head concerning the entire point of the DVDs.
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2586 Posts

Profile of truthteller
Barrie is a friend. His thinking has influenced a lot of my work. I remember when he worked a week at the castle. His was before mine. While I have tremendous respect for Barrie, I will confess I was worried how his style would be received by the la audience.

Barrie is, first and foremost, a real human being. He is not a 'performer' in the sense that people think a performer should be some shallow, one dimensional charactiture of some stereoype of what people believe that a magician should be.

He does not talk at the audience. He does not engage in histrionics. He's simply Barrie.

I watched one of the late shows in the parlour. The crowd was tipsy and I feared aggressive.

Within 30 seconds Barrie had the entire room in the palm of his hand. Were there homeless people running down the street in abject terror?

Of course not.

What I saw were intelligent adults immersed in a conversation with a charming man about impossibilites stemming from the potential of the human mind. They loved it and they wanted more. At the conclusion they wanted to talk to him.

So often in magic we prop up weak ideas with good theater. We compensate for poor structure and a misinderstanding of effect with exagerated charactatures.

Barrie strips the nonsense away.

He listens to his audience and engages them on a level deeper than mere surprise and novel distractions.

Barrie knows how to make a real audience of real human beings love him.

I have no idea how the l and l audience will respond. (I will say that it seems as if the l and l audience has been 'calming down' in some of the more recently filmed releases. While this may make for less than 'off the hook' tv, I do think it will produce better educational resources ofr magicians.)

We have been conditioned to judge magic now by how loud drunk sorority girls scream - when on camera, in a false environment.

The real world is not a david blaine special (it can be, if you're willing to burn through hours of tape in order to find that one response, but most of us don't get to perform for 20 different audiences before we decide which one is going to 'count.)

I do not if the performance on the l and l dvds is representative of barrie's performances so I cannot comment. I can say, however, that I have seen Barrie perform many times and I would rather watch him than 95 percent of the people putting out 'cutting edge mentalism' on the market today.
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
Quote:
On 2010-05-20 20:57, Scott Cram wrote:

Here's one review I highly suggest reading: New Barrie Richardson DVDs: Pre-Review

That pre-review, which specifically refers to twistedace's comment, hits the nail on the head concerning the entire point of the DVDs.

Following the review, in the comments, he wrote some insight into the demo:

Quote:
It has to be difficult for a performer, like Barrie for example, who everyone has heard of and has authored several books to do a set of DVDs. Everyone has their own expectations and it’s impossible to live up to that and meet the expectations of every viewer.

Maybe we should have a selfish view on all commercially released material and hope that something we like doesn’t sell well and gets bad reviews. That puts you in a position of having a treasure chest of material that most of the other performers think is worthless because they can’t see past the presentation as shown.

A few comments regarding the video demo, which I put together for L&L Publishing. Sometimes when I do these, Louis Falanga tells me which effects he would like to have in the demo. Other times the performer will let me know what they want. And then a third scenario is it’s left up to me. Now I have to work within the limits of YouTube. You can only upload 10 minute clips. So I have two choices. The first is to go through the DVDs, find highlights and edit a slick preview that will not be an accurate representation of the DVD. A lot of early L&L Publishing demo videos were like that. But isn’t that something people always complain about when looking at demos?

The second option is to show several effects from beginning to end, which is what I’ve been doing for L&L Publishing for several years now. While my first love is mentalism, I hate doing demos for mentalism DVDs because the presentations can take so long. So that leaves me with either one long effect or two shorter effects. In this case I chose two shorter effects.

Most of Barrie’s presentations are long and would have been impossible to include more than one presentation in 10 minutes with any of the other material without losing the context of the routine and you have to know the full context of Barrie’s routines to appreciate them.

But even if I included ten clips on ten different demos for this set, that doesn’t change Barrie’s performing style. That demo is an accurate representation of Barrie on these DVDs, but is not the complete “picture” of the DVDs because you’re not getting to see the interaction with Weber and all of his contributions.
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3992 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Quote:
On 2010-05-17 20:41, twistedace wrote:

As you say in another post, you're a close magician and now you want to start in mentalism.
So, mentalism performance is something you don't understand yet and stage is something you don't know.

I like the "fast", it sounds like flash paper/fire wallet in table hopping to me.
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I watched the Youtube clip several times and Barrie reminds me of one of my all time favorite performers, Kreskin. He has that quality that he's just an ordinary person that can do amazing things. Just my perception from the clip.

Chris

jaybest
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of jaybest
Wow that demo was hard to sit through, barely made it... ok I'm overeacting but his performance style really does not appeal to me, and it seemed like he was sometimes a bit lost with his own routines, but the DVD's themselves sound fantastic and least the vid showed the actual effects and not merely segments of reactions etc.

The 2 effects performed looked really good and I love the serial divination, can see myself using that, or at least the part with the 2 participants involved in the sending and receiving

Seems interesting.
oralroberts
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
922 Posts

Profile of oralroberts
I respect Barrie for putting these out...sure his performance persona is not as engaging as it could be, in fact it was tough to watch the entire clip without falling asleep, but respect for sharing Mr. Richardson - Thank-you!

You have my money.

ORAL>
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2659 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Just watched the DVD's today, it was great and refreshing. I've been using Barrie's stuff for some time, and while I have my own routines, he is a class act. Thank-you Barrie.

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
I just got these DVDs today. I'll post a review as soon as I can!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Magic & Mentalism of Barrie Richardson dvd set (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL