The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » JHEFFSMIND by Jheff (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
pduffie
View Profile
Veteran user
Scotland
340 Posts

Profile of pduffie
This new book has been on Jheff's Marketplace of the Mind web site for several weeks now. As far as I can see, there is no mention of this on the Café. I am surprised at this because it appears to be a substantial publication. Ad blurb below:
Quote:
Jheff, who is best-known for being proprietor of the
mentalist's Internet resource site, Marketplace Of The Mind,
has quietly published quite a bit of original and
well-respected material. This collection contains the
material contained within five of his books, each of them
sold for $20. Besides including $100 worth of material,
there's more than twenty additional routines. Plus, there's
an introduction by Bob Cassidy.

Peter
Alternative Magic
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2121 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
Thanks Peter.

Gotta check this out!

Benny
+Inventor of the world famous Floating Match+
+Author: Machinations (Vanishing Inc, 2020)+
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
pduffie
View Profile
Veteran user
Scotland
340 Posts

Profile of pduffie
This has to be the quietest book launch in recent times! I first saw it on Jheff's web site about two months ago. I expected reviews soon after ... but so far, zilch!

Posted: Jun 23, 2010 3:47am
-------------------------------
So ...?

Anyone?
Alternative Magic
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Jheff's book is really excellent and I am surprised, too, that it hasn't received the attention it deserves. I liked it so much that I asked him if I could write the introduction.

Here's what I wrote:

Jheff’s been a good friend of mine for many years and I always enjoy the creative “back and forth” that happens every time we meet. He’s the kind of guy who puts a great deal of thought into what he is doing and why he is doing it - in other words, he understands what "artful mentalism" is all about.

Jheffsmind is more than just a collection of excellent effects from an extremely discerning writer/performer. It is a journey through our art that will likely inspire you to explore creative side-trips of your own making.

The material in these pages was developed over a period of almost thirty years – with few exceptions it is a complete collection of all of Jheff’s creations to date. And there are many gems to be found. As you will soon discover, his dedication to the art and craft of mentalism is evident in each of his carefully thought out effects and routines.

To put it simply – Jheff is my kind of mentalist. He knows who he is and fully understands what he does. His routines are not only commercial, but they contain the logical disconnects and subtle methods that make them extremely deceptive as well.

In addition to all of his original material, he’s included routines based on mentalism classics that have a completely new and innovative feeling. His closing essay should be required reading for all of those who are serious about the art of mentalism.

The only regret I have is that Jheff has included a lot of things that I wish he would have shared only with me.

Bob Cassidy

PS: The book (a good looking hard cover) is available at http://www.marketplaceofthemind.com/
pduffie
View Profile
Veteran user
Scotland
340 Posts

Profile of pduffie
Thank you for posting that, Bob.

It is very much appreciated.

Peter
Alternative Magic
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6626 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
This book has some really good material in it. All types of effects and routines. It all comes straight from either Jheff's working acts or stuff he's done impromptu. Good stuff.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Jheff
View Profile
V.I.P.
398 Posts

Profile of Jheff
Thanks Bob and Greg. To Peter and Ben, I did have a quiet release, but I didn't want it to be THIS quiet. And I didn't reply earlier because I'm somewhat humble about my own work and would prefer others like Bob and Greg to provide their opinions. As to why it's not been talked about more, I really don't know. I feel that the work is certainly equal to, if not better than, most of the mentalism books out there now. And I say that because if I didn't honestly feel that way, I wouldn't have released it.

- Jheff
http://www.MarketplaceoftheMind.com
Marketplace of the Mind PARIMENTAL, a 200 page exploration of a classic Martin Gardner principle, is now available!!
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6626 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
By the way, there are at least two stand out ideas in the book: ULTIMENTAL and A SYMBOL ACT. The first is a great way of predicting a word a person will end up saying and all it uses is your business card and a pay envelope.... and they can keep everything. A Symbol Act is a mini routine using an ESP deck to make the spectator the mindreader.

Plus there is much more inside. Check it out.

Greg
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Sounds interesting. Anybody care to explain in further detail the ULTIMENTAL effect? How does the effect play out? How many choices does the spectator have in terms of the words he or she can freely choose? Can one choose from a large selection of words (such as a large dictionary), or is one limited to only a few choices?

Regards,
Mike
Jheff
View Profile
V.I.P.
398 Posts

Profile of Jheff
Mike,

There are no restrictions in Ultimental. Any three words, or phrases, can be used. Any language. No books are used. You simply have a participant think of any three words. You use four business cards and a #3 pay envelope. That's it.

In brief, the effect is this: Someone thinks of three words as the performer attempts to read her mind. The performer writes down something on a card and seals it in an envelope. The performer then has those words written down on the backs of three separate business cards. One of them is chosen at random. The envelope is opened and the randomly-chosen, thought-of word is written on the card. The card, envelope, and prediction can be handed out as a souvenir. And, should you want, you can instantly repeat this.

-- Jheff
http://www.MarketplaceoftheMind.com
Marketplace of the Mind PARIMENTAL, a 200 page exploration of a classic Martin Gardner principle, is now available!!
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Thanks, Jheff. Just one point of clarification regarding the effect: Does the spectator reveal the 3 words to the mentalist prior to the mentalist writing down a word? Or is the mentalist able to write without any verbalization (talking) help from the spectator?

Regards,
Mike
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6626 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2010-06-24 15:36, insight wrote:
Thanks, Jheff. Just one point of clarification regarding the effect: Does the spectator reveal the 3 words to the mentalist prior to the mentalist writing down a word? Or is the mentalist able to write without any verbalization (talking) help from the spectator?

Regards,
Mike

You write something down on your card and seal it in an envelope. Now you take three other cards and the spectator calls out three different words or a short three word phrase. You write each word on a separate card. Now the spectator chooses one of the cards at random. You show that word and show that he could have picked another word instead.

You tear open the envelope and pour out the card inside. Your previous written prediction says something like, "You'll eventually pick the word LAMB."

So you write the prediction first then seal it in envelope. After that he calls out any three words that are written down on the three cards.

I would assume that's enough of an explanation as to what the spectator sees and remembers. You can do it walkaround, close up and practically impromptu if you have those few items on you.

Greg
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5409 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
I loved Ultimental and I know I added some of my tweaks when I used to perform it often.

Simple and to the point. As Mentalism should be (or at least appear to be!). Smile
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
That helps. Because of the clarity you provided, I will be purchasing this. Thanks Jheff, Greg and Paolo for your feedback.

Regards,
Mike
asanghi
View Profile
Veteran user
Moscow, Russia
305 Posts

Profile of asanghi
Dear Lord (of the Horses): I am a big fan of Ultimental, having it performed over many years now. I was wondering if it'd be possible for you to share your "tweaks" with us lesser mortals?
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1601 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
Although I don't have this book, I do have Unimental and Symbol Act. Both excellent. Jheff is a very creative thinker.
Best regards,
<BR>Tony Razzano, Past President, PEA
Winner of the PEA"s Bascom Jones and Bob Haines Awards
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
I have to do my research on Symbol Act now...

Regards,
Mike
Paul Draper
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, Nevada
246 Posts

Profile of Paul Draper
I have seen Jheff perform at the Magic Castle many times. His performances are always very well thought out and cleverly deceptive. I can count on one hand the number of mentalists that I have met that have a deeper and broader understanding of the world of mentalism then Jheff. I have not yet had a chance to read this book, but I am eagerly looking forward to opening my copy when it arrives. Of all of the mentalism being produced right now, it is wonderful to see a real worker with a real understanding of the art delivering his thoughts on our field.

This looks to be a great book,

Paul Draper
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
I don't have the book, but Ultimental is worth the asking price for the it.
It belongs to the arsenal I always keep on me.

Sven
Garrad
View Profile
Elite user
454 Posts

Profile of Garrad
Quote:
On 2010-07-09 03:16, Sven Rygh wrote:
I don't have the book, but Ultimental is worth the asking price for the it.
It belongs to the arsenal I always keep on me.

Sven

Hi Sven
Was Ultimental released seperately then?
You might say reality is the result of complex negotiations between the observer and the observed. But that is simply a point of view.

Many Thanks
Garrad
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » JHEFFSMIND by Jheff (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL