The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Jumping Rubber Bands (and secret) as give away? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Folks, I tried a cursory look for this topic in the index of give aways and couldn't find it. Maybe it's here, but I can't take an hour of scrolling to find it if it is. So at the risk of not following the rule of duplicate posts, I'll start a new thread on it....I gave up my 9-5 gig (read that: retired) and now I'm pursuing my hobby and preparing to perform; my first focus is on kids. Is it inappropriate at the end of my show to do the jumping rubber bands trick, then show them how it's done? Then pass out a box of rubber bands for them each to take a few to try it themselves at home? Even if this only encourages one kid to have fun with magic, then I think I've done a good job. Your opinions? Thanks! Best, Bob
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
Quote:
On 2010-05-19 02:43, Bob1Dog wrote:
Is it inappropriate at the end of my show to do the jumping rubber bands trick, then show them how it's done? Then pass out a box of rubber bands for them each to take a few to try it themselves at home?

I hope not. I've done this very thing off and on for years.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Great idea for kids that are too old for balloon animals, and the #19 rubber bands are much cheaper than balloons.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
That was one of the first things I learned.

It is also one that I share. You might be (or not) surprised, that a few already know it. They can help the others learn. Even this simple magic effect, can bring astonishment if done well. If you have a second bag of different colored bands, you can step it up a notch, and have two bands switch places.

Of course you could do a longer routine without explanations.
...moving wedding ring, handcuffs, .....

reference to an earlier thread...some may have dino or animal bands on their wrist...
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Yes I have mentioned in another thread that I use the silly bands kids have to perform the jumping band as well as I perform CMH with them too but don't teach that.

I do also teach them how to have the silly band penetrate their thumb.

but yes its good idea to teach a simple trick to the kids.

enjoy your new hobby and congrats on giving up your 9-5.

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
If it's good enough for David Copperfield to give away this trick, it's good enough for the rest of us!

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
Quote:
On 2010-05-19 08:15, Al Angello wrote:
Great idea for kids that are too old for balloon animals, and the #19 rubber bands are much cheaper than balloons.

No one's too old for balloons!

Mark
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Thanks all for your encouragement! I love this place! bob

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Thursday, did a Missouri Readers reward program ...and

and

used this idea as part of the teaching table, following the Doctor of Laughology Reading Show....

The teacher had 7 tables with instructions and props...(I added an 8th)

Thanks for the timeley reminder...
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1788 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
I do recomend teaching tricks, kids (and adults) love it and it will serve you well.

However I wouldnt teach the jumping band, simply because its to difficult to teach lareg groups. Its one of those tricks that requires you personally showing the child where to put the band and how to open their fingers. When you have 30 children, you will lose control of 29 of them while helping kid No 30, and soon you'll have an elastic band fight to deal with.

Personally I teach them basic body tricks such as the floating sausage, invisible finger and hole in the hand. I occasionally also do the legs through floor. These work best for me in my kids show.

In Close-up or older parties, I teach the penetrating matchsticks illusion and some basic pencil tricks.

Steve
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Yes it is amazing the what we think is simple ..we find out otherwise in the teaching mode....

Usually one or more catch on...and then....and then....
they become teachers...a win win.....
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
It is amazing to see the 'amgic" enter kids eyes when they get it and they understand. that is why I like to teach effects that are easy to do and that the child can learn and accomplish in a few minutes time. That very first trick has to be one they get and understand. If you do it this way, you empower the child instead of frustrating them. An empowered child will want to learn more and enjoy magic.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
As long as you are giving the kids rubberbands here is game that is easy and fun for you and them:

Everyone stretch a rubberband over the thumb, across the back of the hand and over the little finger.

Now whoever gets the rubber band off first wins. You can't use your other hand, or rub the rubber band on you leg or shirt or anything like that. You can only use the thumb and fingers of the same hand plus you can shake your hand.

It's really funny to watch and the kids have a great time but you have to watch them or they will tend to break the rules and win quickly.

I forget where I learned this. Perhaps someone here will know.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Just got an email from a school librarian. Though she commented on the program, she really seemed to like the "teach in" at the end of the event. She saw that as a very special time.(add on)
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Thanks for all the suggestion folks; I think, after y'alls input and in talking to other magicians, I'll teach the rubber bands as an add on at the end of the show. I also like optical illusions (probably should mention this in that forum) and I also plan on showing them the Andrus-inspired Dragons optical illusion that they can download and print and make for themselves. Thanks again, best, Bob

Posted: Jun 5, 2010 2:59am
Thanks for all the suggestion folks; I think, after y'alls input and in talking to other magicians, I'll teach the rubber bands as an add on at the end of the show. I also like optical illusions (probably should mention this in that forum) and I also plan on showing them the Andrus-inspired Dragons optical illusion that they can download and print and make for themselves. Thanks again, best, Bob

ERIC
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1188 Posts

Profile of ERIC
I always offer the client a choice;
60 minutes magic
40 minutes magic w/ 20 minutes balloons
40 minutes magic w/ 20 minutes work shop (teach)

That is what they get for the main fee. If they want more like a small illusion (Chair suspension, flying carpet, Santa or special guest production or jigsaw cutting), walk around, extra balloons or more time it is all extra $.

With the teaching I do the jumping bands, but I go to the local dollar store and get hairbands instead of just rubber bands. Using different colors, I show single jump, double jump and the Houdini escapeing bands. If it is a small group, I will also do some dollar effects (Upsidedown George etc) giving them giant bills with my contact info on it along with other tricks on the bill.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Great ideas Eric! Thanks!

harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Yesterday, I decided to do a short teach in to one of the older teens at a show.

I was going to do CMH, and then noticed him sitting near, actually almost on the stage. This was a return engagement, as I was at the same location last summer. I called him closer. First I shared the jumping bands...and then quickly taught him. (he was a quick study)..After he showed the group, he smiled and said..."I AM a magician". This was the young man I mentioned in another thread(taking the plunge) who refilled my water glass.

Great moment that will go in my memory bag.

Harris
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
DATMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Shreveport, La
304 Posts

Profile of DATMagic
Great idea Bob<

I used to give out coin boxes with pennys in them. The kids loved when the coin would vanish and then come back, but when I should them how to do it and they figured out there was a gimmick inside a lot of them immediately lost interest and were disappointed in the "magic". I don't think the rubberbands will leave them with the "phony" feeling since there is no gimmick. I'm going to give it a try, thanks for the insight.
David

Posted: Jun 10, 2010 10:38pm
Great idea Bob<

I used to give out coin boxes with pennys in them. The kids loved when the coin would vanish and then come back, but when I should them how to do it and they figured out there was a gimmick inside a lot of them immediately lost interest and were disappointed in the "magic". I don't think the rubberbands will leave them with the "phony" feeling since there is no gimmick. I'm going to give it a try, thanks for the insight.
David
David A Trombetta

DAT does the Trick
DATdoestheTrick.com

Smile
email [email]DATMagic@aol.com[/email]
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Hi Dat.....it's simple, easy and cheap! It's somethin' isn't it? The magic is gone when they know the gimmick....at least the rubber bands will let them feel like a real magician....have fun.....bob

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Jumping Rubber Bands (and secret) as give away? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL