The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » At last, my first actual gig (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DaiJou
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of DaiJou
Hey everyone, new guy here.
So, I have my first paid gig tomorrow. It is a close-up show for birthday party. The audience is aged from 10 to 70, because it is some sort of family meeting at the same time. Most of the audience is young adults. I was asked to perform little longer magic show, for 30-40 minutes. This is my routine for this birthday:

-Linking Rings (Ninja Rings, Intermediate routine)
-3 card tricks, because I was told that there are a lot of casual card players in audience (Triumph, Ambitious Card, Ultimate Monte)
-Cups and Balls (based on Vernon’s routine, little changes here and there)

I have timed my act several times and I can perform the required time with ease. This is not my first magic show, because I have performed for youngsters in school few times past months. The question is: Is my act too small to be paid? I know that may sound strange, but I have this odd urge to do all my tricks now because I’m paid to perform (I know, I should not do that). But what do you think? Also, how often I should change my act? It feels odd to perform same act over and over and over and over again.

-T
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
How long is a Leno monologue?

If you fill the requested time with ENTERTAINING magic, then you have earned your keep.

I think it’s a common idea for first time magicians (I remember it was for me) to keep “adding value” to make themselves “worth the price”. It stems from a kind of insecurity in that, at first, we don’t know what we’re worth. Certainly a David Copperfield is worth more than a Herbert McGillicuddy, and the issue is to figure out what you’re worth. And you can’t really do that on your first show.

Aim for the average market price in your region and you won’t be too far off. If people are calling you back for next year’s event, you know at the very least, you’re not charging too much.

And you do want to do the same tricks over and over again. Think of it as a kind of practice (very important practice, since there’s no substitute for a live audience). Remember that every audience is different, so for them it’s a new show.

After a few months, if you want to add something new, fine, but only one trick at a time. It may not work out like you think. You may drop something that isn’t working and add something else. Your act should evolve, not renovate. By the time you see the same audience next year, you will have a “new” act.

Also, don’t get rattled if all eyes aren’t on you. If this is a family reunion type affair, they’re going to be more interested in catching up than in watching a stranger do tricks. You’ll get some interest, but probably not everybody.

Also, expect that at least one of the “uncles” will know something about magic (although not enough to actually perform), and may keep a running narration of your show. There are several ways to handle this, but DON’T offend him. He’s family, and you don’t want the whole crowd turning against you!

The simplest method is to make him your “partner” in a trick. Let the coin disappear from HIS hand, or have HIM hold up the box in plain site. If he’s really a boor, a sucker gag (done in a good-natured way) will get a laugh, bring him attention (which is what he really wants), and maybe make him think twice before tossing out any more of his “wisdom”.

Most of all, RELAX. If you perform with confidence and engage the audience, they’ll have a better time and enjoy your magic even more.

THEN you will be worth the price.

Best of Luck, and welcome to the Café!

Don
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
David Waldorf
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
132 Posts

Profile of David Waldorf
Good advice from Don.

Try and connect with the audience.

HAVE FUN!
Didn't your mother ever tell you not to believe anything you hear and only half of what you see?

From a Roy Rogers movie
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Great advice from Don! Remember the main reason you are there is to help them have fun. Magic is the tool you are using to entertain. And finally, CONGRATULATIONS on your first paying gig!

Hudson,
DaiJou
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of DaiJou
Wow, that was long and informative post Don. Thank you for your advice. I will come back and tell how everything went.

-T
DaiJou
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of DaiJou
Okey, I just arrived home. Everything went great and I received many compliments from my tricks. I'm so happy right now! One of the quests told me to clear my calendar for certain weekend because I'm going to have another gig at much, much larger event. Lucky that I have months to prepare for that Smile

One situation was completely priceless. At the end of my Cups and Balls routine, I have already placed three final loads under cups and prepare to reveal them as usual. Little kid sitting far left from me yelled: "I saw, you put one little red ball under the cup!" I smiled to him, and with friendly voice replied: "You saw me put little red ball under the cup? Yes? Well then, did you see me put this baseball under the cup?" and same time lift middle cup.

The Most
Epic
Face
_EVER_

And full room exploded then I revealed the rest.
Thanks everyone for your replies. It was my first post in this forum and people are so kind to newbies. I'm going to enjoy my time with you Café people.

-T
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
That is a VERY funny story (I still have this big dumb grin), and it's one you’ll treasure forever. Probably each of us has that one or two moments you never ever forget, and it sounds like you just had your first. Thank you for sharing it with the rest of us.

And it sounds like they got their money’s worth, if others are approaching you to do another show. That is great, and fun for the rest of us to hear about.

Can’t think of a bigger “high” than the sound of enthusiastic applause. Good luck as you move into maybe a new career?

Congratulations,

Don
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
T,

Congratulations on a very successful first gig! Well done and what a great story. From the comments you got, looks like you will have lots of busy weekends to come!

Hudson
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » At last, my first actual gig (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL