The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » It took a long time to get there.....coin change (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
At the Jubiliee back in KC.(they used to alternate between KC and St. Louis) I saw a man do a one handed coin change where the coin went from finger tip rest (palm up) to tenkai while another in tenkai went to finger tip rest.(hand palm up)

(I hope this is not TMI for this section)

It is in Bobo using two hands I believe.
When I first came aboard this Café(or the Dan's Coin Vanish Site, Dan was kind enough to give me the name and origiator of the effect. I can't remember it at this moment)

I am just now getting the hang of it.

I am curious to see what was a routine or move that took you the longest to develop.

Harris Deutsch
Laughologist
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Plato986
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Plato986
I'm just starting so everything is equally hard. I'm getting no breaks, my hands just don't want to do what I tell them. It's still fun though. Smile
-Plato986 (that's me)
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Gee Harris, my one handed vanish took a couple of years to invent and another couple of years to put into use. There are plenty of moves I have tried to learn though even to date have just not gotten to work for me. The Ramsay mid-air ball vanish is one such move. The wand spin ball vanish is another. Maybe some day. - jonathan
...to all the coins I've dropped here
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Thanks Jon,

for sharing.

I still can't get the wand spin.

Kids at the highschool I work at do this thing with a pen.

They spin the pen around their thumbs.

It looks cool and kind of magical.
Plato,

When I first started I thought my hands were too small.

I even used bridge size cards for a while.

Keep at it and try to get in contact with someone you can work with 1x1 if possible.

Or a convention such as the one starting tonight in KC the IBM convention.

Thanks for taking the time to write.

If you take the time and are doing the

work it will come.

Time takes time.

If it was easy every one would be doing it.

Harris Deutsch
Laugholgist and Nearly Normal Magician.
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
Linds
View Profile
New user
Melbourne, Australia
76 Posts

Profile of Linds
Plato

Harris has some sound advice in his post. Believe me, facility will come with careful, thoughtful practice.

Can I chime in with a different slant. I guess while everything is new and equally difficult, it won't cause too much more pain to get everything down with both hands.

Recently, I had the unhappy experience of starting to work on a routine where in one phase I had to do a move with the left hand. Right hand: no problem. Left hand: Learner status.

It really annoyed me that I had been so stupid as to think that if I could palm the coins with my dominant hand it would be OK with the other. Lots of diligent practice later, I have fixed the problem.

Point is I shouldn't have needed to do it this late, and wouldn't have had to if I had taken a little more time at the start.
Cheers
Linds

Disbelief in Magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
indianajones
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of indianajones
I think the pass is a sleght that requires lots of practice. I just about to get the hang of it. I think it will be worth the time spent.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Linds.

Good point on learning things with both hands.

It is interesting that for some things my non dominant hand found easier.

An example is the roll down with 4 or more coins.

Harris
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
youngdanf
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of youngdanf
I'm with you on that one Harris. When I first started practicing that move I started to feel like I was in an aerobics class becuase I had to bend down some much to pick up my coins so many times. Smile
That was probably the toughest that I have had to learn yet. I haven't quite got the 4 coin roll yet. I'm going to get a video to see if that might help.
Geoff Latta
View Profile
Regular user
New York
158 Posts

Profile of Geoff Latta
Harris,

Are you talking about the Schwarzman move? Did he toss the coin in the air or just close the hand momentarily?

Best,

Geoff
"There is a thin line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line." --Oscar Levant
bakerkn
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of bakerkn
Quote:
On 2003-07-03 15:16, Geoff Latta wrote:
Harris,

Are you talking about the Schwarzman move? Did he toss the coin in the air or just close the hand momentarily?

Best,

Geoff

Schwartzman's "Instantaneous Coin Change" is a two handed move in which the coin changes as it tossed from one hand to the other.

In John Carney's booklet "Carney Knowledge" he describes a one handed version in which the coin is tossed in the air and when it lands back on the hand it has changed - a wonderfully visual change. Carney attributes this variation to Larry Jennings but gives no reference.

Regarding closing the hand momentarily - I have heard this attributed to Scotty York, but would appreciate further information?

Regards

Kevin
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
Larry showed me this as a spellbound move, in combination with two Vernon spellbound moves, one still unpublished. The sequence looks like this:

One coin is displayed and tossed from hand to hand, indicating no other coins. The coin is then tossed in the air about eight inches and caught by the same palm up hand, only it has changed. The (let's say right) hand tossing and catching the coin is apparently devoid of other coins. The left hand is obviously empty. The coin is placed in spellbound position in the left hand. This is done by the right hand and it is incidentally shown front and back as the coin is transferred to the left hand. Now the coin is covered by the right hand in the traditional spellbound way, effecting another change. The new coin, at the left fingertips, is allowed to drop to the open palm of the left hand. It is covered momentarily by the right hand, and when the right hand is lifted the coin has changed again. The right hand is seen empty front and back, and the left hand is palm up with just the one coin on it. The left thumb pushes the coin to the fingertips, and the hand is turned over to show the other side of the coin, incidentally displaying the back of the left hand at the same time. Still no other coin visible!

This is a nice combination of things, some in print, some not. The Tenkai Pinch, the Purse Palm, A Vernon Change in one of the Ganson Close-up Magic books, the Malini Subtlety. All those thing figure to effect the sequence I just described.

Is this like what you are talking about?

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
Geoff Latta
View Profile
Regular user
New York
158 Posts

Profile of Geoff Latta
Paul, that's very similar to a sequence I've been doing for ages. The toss and catch in the same hand is Jennings (I got it from Roth), but my recovery is nothing like his or Roth's (which is based on Goshman's). An entirely different set of mechanics, with some advantages. More difficult than the others, though.

When I was a teenager and working with Tenkai pinch, I devised a move which looks like this:

Copper coin on palm up right hand, silver coin in right hand Tenkai. Hand closes and opens and the coin have switched places. Two beats, no futzing, no apparent finger movement, no tossing, just bang-bang. Close, open, period. Burnable. Very difficult. Later devised a deep back clip version. Even more difficult. Same beats, one-two. Never heard of Scotty doing anything like that, but who knows?

Best,

Geoff
"There is a thin line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line." --Oscar Levant
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1693 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Kevin ,
On "Palms of Steel"vol 1
Curtis kam does a routine call "new YORK spellbound"
And he does the change your talking about and gives credit to Scotty York

Best
JOE Smile Smile Smile
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
bakerkn
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of bakerkn
Quote:
On 2003-07-04 20:18, Geoff Latta wrote:

Copper coin on palm up right hand, silver coin in right hand Tenkai. Hand closes and opens and the coin have switched places. Two beats, no futzing, no apparent finger movement...

Later devised a deep back clip version.

Eliminating apparent finger movement in a Tenkai recovery is a constant vexation...so hope to see your work published one day!

Switching to deep clip is a useful exercise. I went through the same process with the Jennings move. Improves angles and allows the hand to assume more relaxed position.

Kevin
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Yes the two handed move is the Schwartzman idea.

I had the opportunity to watch Mr. Jennings work up in Tahoe. I was working at the State Hospital in Reno at the time and freelancing as the Mime over Matter.(1979-1984)

Last month my percentage of completing the mover increasing very dramatically.

I am now working on a routine that uses it and my Nearly Normal "A little change." which was published in Tom Craven(thanks Tom)
column in the August 02 Linking Ring.

Harris Deutsch
Laughologist
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » It took a long time to get there.....coin change (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL