The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Feminine Mystique » » Should a magician date a magician (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
foreva.infiniti
View Profile
Regular user
6 Posts a + a 6 Posts =
116 Posts

Profile of foreva.infiniti
You know because of the whole deception thing. Magic's the business when it comes to secrets. Secrets often destroys relationships. I myself am not comfortable with exposing my secrets to a partner for the simple fact that the amazement would be missing foreva infiniti, and that's someone I would want to impress for years to come. In my opinion a partner would be the very last person I expose my secrets too. And oh yeah, don't expose yours to make me feel obligated to expose mine.
Colors are Foreva. Numbers are Infinite. 4 every number there's a color. HEY! Eternity! Lets smoke a beer and drink some loud. But wait! I heard you was a six a plus a 6 ahhhh.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Since many of us are married magic couples, I do recommend dating first! LOL

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Once you are sure of your relationship, if your partner is interested go for it. My Partner/Mentor Tom taught me one effect at a time and would not share any more 'till he thought my performance was OK. This assures practice and respect for secrets.

I'm a professional Magician now and we do Gigs both separately and together (mostly separate).

I love my profession and that would not have happened without Tom.

Sure I know some of his secrets but I'll never know 'em all.

Partners who "get" the fun of performing Magic are more tolerant of the time and money demands of a Magic career.

- Mary Mowder

Posted: May 23, 2010 2:55pm
If you've found someone you'd like to date who is already a Magician, why not?

Tom and I are both very honest. The deception in Magic is for the benefit of the spectator.

Do you feel like you are somehow dishonest when performing? I doubt it and I don't think you should. (You can always follow the Jerry Andrus route and never actually lie.)

If your perspective Magician/Date gives no outward sign of being dishonest I would not worry about it.

I've been to a lot of Magic Conventions and frankly there are a lot of Magicians who would love to date another Magician. If you don't, someone else will.

Posted: May 23, 2010 2:55pm
If you've found someone you'd like to date who is already a Magician, why not?

Tom and I are both very honest. The deception in Magic is for the benefit of the spectator.

Do you feel like you are somehow dishonest when performing? I doubt it and I don't think you should. (You can always follow the Jerry Andrus route and never actually lie.)

If your perspective Magician/Date gives no outward sign of being dishonest I would not worry about it.

I've been to a lot of Magic Conventions and frankly there are a lot of Magicians who would love to date another Magician. If you don't, someone else will.
AudioPhilia
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of AudioPhilia
I would give anything to actually meet a lady magician. As far as I'm concerned they are still a myth XD (j/k). But seriously I have never meet a Lady magician, and I think it would be awesome to be able to date a magician. My favorite part of the relationship would be when I was fooled Smile

Regards,
Ben
VeritasNoir
View Profile
New user
Chicago
18 Posts

Profile of VeritasNoir
Like all relationships, magicians need honest communication for a relationship to work. If you want to keep a trick's secret to yourself, you can find someone who will respect that. Honesty is important, but personal boundaries and trust are too!

Keep an open mind about it and make sure you talk to your partner about this, if it is an issue for you. You'll be fine!
"We have art in order not to die of truth." ~ Nietzsche
alexa
View Profile
Veteran user
NJ
393 Posts

Profile of alexa
I am a female magician and I don't think I can go to a magician's meeting or convention wearing my regular clothes (I'm pretty girly and usually wear dresses) without attracting some non-business attention. I'm not sure male magicians are quite the same turn-on, though.
lozey
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
381 Posts

Profile of lozey
I would love to date another magician because they understand the time, commitment and money that a career in magic sometimes takes (especially when I'm developing new props). However, I've found that male magicians may sometime have problems with this because they get jealous of any professional attention that their other half gets, whether that be praise from other magicians, getting into magazines, effects published ect. They can end up seeing their other half as competition if you are both working in the same area (comedy, close up, stage etc.)

So that said, any magis out there looking for that very special bizarre girl to scare them half to death with strange props apply here! Smile
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
I don't know about you guys. But with female magicians what always worked for me is.."If you show me yours I will show you mine". Well even if it doesn't work it is a good ice breaker.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
foreva.infiniti
View Profile
Regular user
6 Posts a + a 6 Posts =
116 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-05-29 00:10, acesover wrote:
"If you show me yours I will show you mine". Well even if it doesn't work it is a good ice breaker.

That's a horrible Ice breaker!
Colors are Foreva. Numbers are Infinite. 4 every number there's a color. HEY! Eternity! Lets smoke a beer and drink some loud. But wait! I heard you was a six a plus a 6 ahhhh.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I agree with foreva.

I like to reciprocate if someone shows me a trick but that is one cheesy line.

- Mary Mowder
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2010-05-29 17:11, foreva.infiniti wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-05-29 00:10, acesover wrote:
"If you show me yours I will show you mine". Well even if it doesn't work it is a good ice breaker.

That's a horrible Ice breaker!

You think?
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
lozey
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
381 Posts

Profile of lozey
Well since both Mary and I agree with foreva, maybe it's you who should think different Smile
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2010-05-31 19:10, lozey wrote:
Well since both Mary and I agree with foreva, maybe it's you who should think different Smile

Can't argue with three great minds. You guys must be right. It is a horrible line.

My bad. Smile
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Only if you classify Nani as a magician.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
foreva.infiniti
View Profile
Regular user
6 Posts a + a 6 Posts =
116 Posts

Nani Darnell voiced a character in of my favorite shows, The Magician.
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
(…wondering how in the world I got into this particular forum…)

Exactly what secrets are we talking about keeping from a “significant other”? “How do you top change an Ace” is a completely different secret than “Where were you last night”.

Most relationship counselors would say that to be successful, a couple should have SOME (but not all) interests in common. If you share Magic, that part is handled.

All in all, I’d say secrets have no place in a relationship, but Magic isn’t a relationship, it’s a job (or a hobby, even). If you find someone you can connect with, on whatever level, I’d say (at the very least) it warrants further exploration.
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Actually, I'd imagine it would be the opposite, at least for me.

The wonderful thing about dating another magician is you COULD discuss all your "secrets".

I do think the point is well taken though that it takes a guy with a strong enough ego to handle that (a) she may be better then you at some things and (b) even if she isn't, lady magicians are enough of a rarity (and a sexy enough idea, at least IMHO) that she will get some attention "for free."

All in all Id imagine this isn't all that different over-all from dating in other performing arts...

(P.S. Happily married to a lady priest, so this is all rather academic for me now. )
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Edith
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
131 Posts

Profile of Edith
The fact of being a magician doesn't change anything. It's rather the character of the other person that's important.

Magic is magic. You share your secrets just like you share it with someone else. If you developped a new trick and nobody knows, why tell your spouse? He/She should know that magical secrets ARE normal.

Often magicians are quite "special" people, so if you like the person, date him. These "special" people happen to like magic more than normal people. Chances are that if you pick a boyfriend out of a group of magicians, this guy is probably quite strange. If you pick a boyfriend out of your class at school or any other "normal" group of people you will have a higher chance of picking someone normal and sometimes boring.
It just depends on what you want.... ;-)
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Sign a prenup on intellectual property rights.

However, if it comes to that, forget about getting married IMHO

All relationships are magical... hopefully not necromancy magic tho'
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Quote:
On 2010-07-05 08:42, Dr Spektor wrote:
Sign a prenup on intellectual property rights.

However, if it comes to that, forget about getting married IMHO

All relationships are magical... hopefully not necromancy magic tho'

*chuckle*
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Feminine Mystique » » Should a magician date a magician (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL