The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magazine for Intermediate Magicians? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Doctor Xombie
View Profile
Regular user
FL (formerly Planet X)
109 Posts

Profile of Doctor Xombie
I would have posted in the 'The Magazine Rack' but it doesn't seem to have a 'general' forum for something not directly related to a specific magazine.

OK, I'm not a total beginner but I am not advanced or a professional either.
Is there a magazine geared toward someone of my skill level? Someone who does this not as a regular job and does not want to get inundated by adverts for pro illusions and and articles about stuff I'll never use?

Thanx
-Roger "The Doctor"

Doctor Xombie & Roger Boyes -Author
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
The day of the magic magazine that was actually about magic, instead of about celebrity magicians and advertisements for the latest props, has long gone. That's why I started the Wizards' Journal. Not only is it JUST about magic, but you can order each issue entire, or in bits and pieces and put together your own "magazine" with just the tricks you are interested in.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
stijnhommes
View Profile
Special user
568 Posts

Profile of stijnhommes
It depends a lot on what you call intermediate. There are a lot of non-professional magicians who have professional skill and an equal lot of professional ones who earn money with magic but have less skill. If I were you, I would challenge myself and try anything that isn't geared at beginners.

Spellbinder is right though, a lot of magazines are more about reviews and theory than they are about effects. Spellbinder's mag is a good place to start. Reel Magic Magazine is another good choice. If you can look through the non-effect content, you can consider Genii and Magic Magazine.
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
471 Posts

Profile of epoptika
If you are just looking for tricks I'd say to take a look at the very first post in this forum - "magic books for beginners" which has excellent advice for books containing enough great magic to keep you busy the rest of your life. Then take your pick of Magic, Genii or Reel Magic magazine (a video magazine on DVD). Any or all of them will keep you informed on the current magic scene. If you join the IBM or SAM you can get their respective magic journals. You can find all the tricks you'll ever need in books or DVD's. One of the best thing magazines have to offer is the articles on presentation and theory from current magic thinkers. Personally, one of the first things I turn to are the book reviews. Generally the last thing I read are the tricks. But to each his own.
Doctor Xombie
View Profile
Regular user
FL (formerly Planet X)
109 Posts

Profile of Doctor Xombie
I'm not wanting the magazine for just 'tricks'... although a few would be nice.
I just am not interested in reading about grand illusions and what I can buy for my next big Las Vegas show. I'd like to study and learn... not buy new stuff. (Although I am aware that any paper published magazine pretty much requires some kind of adverts.)

I'm more interested in smaller groups and maybe some day I'll get to walk-around. For now I'd just like a nice 'do-it-yourself' kind of magazine with lots of small articles with tips that can help me become a better magician.

I haven't been able to look through any current magazines but they look like they would be geared toward the working professional.

I hope I'm making sense here. Smile
-Roger "The Doctor"

Doctor Xombie & Roger Boyes -Author
Ronin
View Profile
Loyal user
Martinez,CA
203 Posts

Profile of Ronin
Quote:
On 2010-05-25 01:31, Doctor Xombie wrote:
...I'd like to study and learn... not buy new stuff. (Although I am aware that any paper published magazine pretty much requires some kind of adverts.)

I'm more interested in smaller groups and maybe some day I'll get to walk-around. For now I'd just like a nice 'do-it-yourself' kind of magazine with lots of small articles with tips that can help me become a better magician.

I haven't been able to look through any current magazines but they look like they would be geared toward the working professional...

If you're interested in learning about the art of magic, there's a lot in the mainstream magazines for you, with "tips that can help me become a better magician".

Jim Steinmeyer just began a new series of "Conjuring" columns in Genii. All of his pieces teach something about construction of presentation, creative use of method, and scripting. Whether or not you plan on using any of the routines in "Conjuring", there's a wealth of information for the serious student in the column. At least, that was the case with his original "Conjuring" series, (now collected in "The Conjuring Anthology"), and I'm sure this one will be no different.

Roberto Giobbi offers many useful "pearls of wisdom" in his Genii column. Eugene Burger's "Showmanship Interviews" have offered lots of useful insight from seasoned performers.

In MAGIC, there's Jeff McBride's "The Show Doctor" column. I see that Joanie Spina has just started a series of columns. A few years ago I subscribed to MAGIC,
M-U-M, AND Genii; I like all three, but could not really adequately read all three, and there was the problem of shelf space. I reluctantly dropped MAGIC, and immediately began missing David Kaye's column on kidshow magic--not because I do a lot of kidshows, but because I found the column to be a terrific source of original thinking about magic routining for all kinds of audiences.

I enjoyed MAGIC and Genii for years before I became a working professional. If you "haven't been able to look through any of the current magazines," I suggest you pick up an issue or two, and see what works for you. Contrary to what you seem to think, there's a lot of close-up and parlor material in these magazines (really very little on illusions), and it is possible to get useful insight from all kinds of performers--close-up workers, stand-up workers, illusionists, mentalists, kid-show magicians, comedy magicians, historians.
David Hirata
www.thingsimpossible.com

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta."
--Federico Fellini
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8463 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Amazing that nobody hear has heard of APOCALYPSE - a magazine that JUST TAUGHT AND TEACHES MAGIC EFFECTS AND ROUTINES. HARRY L. Go to my magic website, for God's sake and click on Magic Items, or whatever, until you find out about the APOCALYPSE volumes, among other things. The magic website is the third one listed under this post. HL.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
471 Posts

Profile of epoptika
Anyone here heard of this Harry Lorayne guy?
I saw the movie Apocalypse. Were you in that?
stijnhommes
View Profile
Special user
568 Posts

Profile of stijnhommes
Quote:
On 2010-05-26 16:58, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Amazing that nobody hear has heard of APOCALYPSE - a magazine that JUST TAUGHT AND TEACHES MAGIC EFFECTS AND ROUTINES. HARRY L. Go to my magic website, for God's sake and click on Magic Items, or whatever, until you find out about the APOCALYPSE volumes, among other things. The magic website is the third one listed under this post. HL.
I'm ashamed. When I was thinking about magazines to recommend, The Apocalypse completely slipped my mind... Sorry.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8463 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
No problem, Mac. As a matter of fact, it's a good thing - it opens things up for the really funny people like the guy just above you here. So funny!
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magazine for Intermediate Magicians? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL