The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2010 entrée: Craig Petty » » Performing Repertoire » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

John T Cox
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of John T Cox
Hi Craig

I am always happy with the DVD's you have created. You seem to have a fountain of routines and ideas!

I am curious, though, about your performance choices. Do you have a small set of routines that you do all the time or are you really working with all of the material that you have been teaching on the DVDs?

John
The real magic is family!
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
1634 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Thanks for your question John and thanks for your kind words. 

I have a very good memory for tricks especially my own and because of this I can drop an effect completly and then come back to it years later no problems. The set of tricks I perform changes on an almost weekly basis because I am always creating magic and trying new effects out. I perform a LOT and I can go through up to ten gigs in a week doing a different set each time. 

The downside to this is there are many occasions where I will drop an absolute killer trick and replace it with something that just doesn't work as well as I hoped. Russell Leeds is always taking the micky out of me for this as I can be performing the best trick ever one week and it will be gone the next. I know that doing this seems really strange so let me explain why I do this. 

I am quite proud of the fact that I only release material on DVD or in books that has been tried and tested over a long period of time. For every effect I release there are several that didn't make the cut because they just weren't good enough. I would not know this however if I did not actually try the effects out and heard how real people react to them. 

Plus I love magic and I'm always buying the latest DVD. I can't just watch an effect, I have to try them out to see how they work. For example at the moment I am currently working with some of the material off Eric Jones new DVD set and Restless as well. I am quite fortunate in that I don't get nervous performing new material for laymen or magicians. I think it's because I know that even if everything goes wrong I can still jazz it and have a great outcome. 

Plus as I mentioned I have a great memory for tricks. If you ever see me ask me to perform anything off any of my DVDs and I will do it there and then no problem even if I haven't performed the effect in a while. For example the other day I had a magician who wanted to see a routine off Flipped Out that I had not done in ages. It wasn't a problem though and performed it straight away.

Having said that there are routines I do on an ongoing basis and never drop. Flipped Across (from Flipped Out), Quarantined, Double Sandwich (from Locked in a Room Without Coins) and Mistique (from Blank) are among my go to effects that I come back to on a very regular basis. 

I hope that answers your question. 

Craig 
[url= http://youtube.com/c/slightlyunusualmagic
'Magic TV YouTube Channel ' by Craig Petty[/url]
John T Cox
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of John T Cox
Yes indeed, that was the answer I was hoping to get.

My memory for tricks is poor. If they do not make sense to me I just can't recall the order of things. What I typically do is family and children's magic and I almost always create my own routines which I can remember. If I can tell a story with the magic, either explicitly or implicitly, then I can remember well. That being said, I can almost never remember card tricks and prefer to do coin magic.

Flipped out has great material. Just your tips on straightforwardly opening and putting down the flipper coin were a big help.

John
The real magic is family!
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
1634 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Thanks for the kind words about Flipped Out Chris.

That was the first DVD I ever put out and I still have so many people tell me how much they love the material. Empowerment always seems to be a real favourite with magicians.

I know what you mean about coin tricks versus card tricks. Generally there are a lot more phases and move in card magic and this does make the routines harder to remember. My business partner Ethan has a really bad memory for tricks as well. He gets round this my just performing effects he has created or effects that he has totally written his own presentation for. Like you I think that if you put that much time and effort into an effect it almost becomes engraved into your memory.

Craig
[url= http://youtube.com/c/slightlyunusualmagic
'Magic TV YouTube Channel ' by Craig Petty[/url]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2010 entrée: Craig Petty » » Performing Repertoire » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL