The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2010 entrée: Craig Petty » » English coins » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4267 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Hey Craig, its a pleasure to see you here hosting the Café! I have thoroughly enjoyed your clever applications with gaffed coins, and look forward to seeing more of your work! I have a question regarding the specific coins you (and other coin workers in England )use. Do you or other coin magicians ever use the half crown, and crown, as opposed to the half dollar or dollar? If not, why? Also, when you use the half dollar and English penny, do you emphasise the penny as the dominant coin, or does it matter? For me, since the penny is the foreign coin here, the silver half is more familiar and therefore dominant. I was wondering if that was reversed in England. Thanks for your time, and keep up the good work! Best, Mike
RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC SPECIAL:
I HAVE A LIMITED AMOUNT OF COPIES AVAILABLE TO BE SIGNED, AND COME WITH A SPECIAL FREE GIFT! If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
1634 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Hi Michael, great to hear from you I hope you are well!

I am so sorry I somehow missed your question.

I tend to use half dollars and dollars. There is always a big debate in the UK on UK vs USA coins. My attitude is simple, when I am going out and being paid to work I have no problem performing with foreign currency. people expect a magician to carry around weird and wonderful props. If a magician can introduce a chop cup and that is excepted I have no problem with my American coins. Plus people find looking at an old American coin interesting - it becomes an ice breaker and a point of conversation before I even start. This becomes even more true if I am starting with a coin production. If I could really make coins appear at my fingertips and I have that power why wouldn't I make pure silver coins appear instead of a grotty looking 2 pence!!

If I am out and about with friends and I perform something I also use english coins as I think it would be a little weird pulling out an expensive foreign coin when I am in a social setting but for paid work I also go American. Regarding the crown, I know some magicians use them but I have always found Barber halves and Walking Liberties a lot easier to use than any other types of coins and I have become stuck in my ways now.

Craig

P.S - most of my coin magic was learnt by watching people like you, David and Mike so you guys are responsible for influencing me and I blame you 100%!!!!! Craig
[url= http://youtube.com/c/slightlyunusualmagic
'Magic TV YouTube Channel ' by Craig Petty[/url]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2010 entrée: Craig Petty » » English coins » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL