The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » How come so many posts on the magic Café are about "teaching magic" ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
" I see our entire culture going "to hell in ahandbasket" -- and if teaching a couple of magic tricks will help break the cycle of the entilement generations please sign me up."

Ken,

How is that not just more entitlement, really just a form of appeasement (which has been tried unsuccessfully many times). And, I missed the part where any of the "teaching" posters required mastering the first trick before being taught any more- do you really think they do that??

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Times have changed. I was one of those kids who did three tricks and paid the dues, but there were several older men, some very seasoned professionals, who were very eager to teach a willing student. They didn’t let me get away with sloppy work, period!

These days, even the adults have a three-second attention span, and anything that isn’t pre-mixed, pop-top, and ready to eat is going to be passed over for something less “challenging”. More thought gets put into cheating the tax-man or hacking a computer game than to actually doing something great.

We do need interested kids, because (to overwork a cliché) that’s where the next generation is coming from, but we need to screen closer than ever. If a kid wants info from me, I’ll show him something common like jumping rubber bands. In less than two minutes I’ll be able to see whether he has enough interest to warrant more goodies from me.
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

DW-

What is happening to the world, and is there anything we can do beyond accept it??

As to your views, I can way more agree with "if a kid wants info from me" than teaching an entire class at once...
brangwinj
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of brangwinj
Since I am some what in this "debate". I will answer for me alone. In my case the students pay $50 for 5 lessons. I don't need the money so they get a lot of value as I buy wholesale . also I make some 3 card montes, or find the queen and other tricks. I also donate magic books to school library to encourage independent discovery. My wife is the school Libraian and I am retired to fill in the rest of the story. I amazed at the ability of young students.
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1817 Posts

Profile of gaffed
I’ve been watching this thread for awhile with some interest, and admittedly some amusement.
No use in getting into the YouTube thing as that is a lost cause/battle. As for the words “exposure” and “teaching” they are somewhat synonymous with each other in some respects so I’ll also leave that alone. If some individual seeks out magic I’m quite confident that no one has any problem with that. After all, how did you become a magician! However, teaching magic en masse just doesn’t set right with me. After all, what child wouldn’t jump at a chance in seeing how some magic tricks are done, but does not necessarily wish to learn magic.

Also, someone mentioned earlier that they felt guilty about having told someone where a magic store is, and about online magic dealers. Now that comment really amused me! My God, magic stores, and or magic online stores/dealers are not exactly an underground secret for heaven’s sake! Many years ago I used to frequent Magic Inc. here in Chicago when it was owned by Jay Marshal and his wife Francis. It wasn’t hidden underground, or barred up like some 1920’s speak easy where one needed a password to enter! As for online magic dealers, all one has to do is simply enter the word “magic” on Google and you’ll end up with a plethora of magic dealers, and probably come up with this forum site! What one does after that is their business, and I believe its called free enterprise. Whatever….exposure happens, always has, and always will. DEAL with it. Smile
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Brangwinj-

For me, the fact that a fee is charged makes a lot of difference- at least they have to initiate the desire and come up with the funds. I understand what you are doing much better now.

gaffed- I agree with you. I see nothing wrong with directing someone who asks to where they can enter the magic community and detest exposing magic "en masse" without being asked, or even begged, to do so. Good points you make...

Jim
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Gaffed
Also, someone mentioned earlier that they felt guilty about having told someone where a magic store is, and about online magic dealers. Now that comment really amused me! My God, magic stores, and or magic online stores/dealers are not exactly an underground secret for heaven’s sake!
I never said I felt guilty. I said I regret helping them. Had I not recommended Philly Magic to this person they would have never pursued this on there own.I live in a suburb of Philly,the only magic shops to be found twenty years ago were in the city.So at the time it was an underground haven,cause he had no clue where to go.The clown I helped has long been out of magic but exposed a lot in the little time he was involved.
As far as online magic dealers,if there interested they'll find them . But I'm not going to tell everyone who shows a little interest to google an online magic shop!

Ralph
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of rklew64
My guess is that the profile of most members here are from a time when magic was respected and was treated with integrity. That time is long gone.
Enjoy what you do in your community and for your own circle.
Magic is not what it used to be. Too many laypeople are so jaded with anything.
Kids and young adults are too entitled, arrogant, lazy, and self -centered all raised by helicopter parents in the last 15-20 years. Yes, very sad.
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1817 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2010-07-15 20:42, ralphs007 wrote:

I never said I felt guilty. I said I regret helping them. Had I not recommended Philly Magic to this person they would have never pursued this on there own.

Noted, and retracted. However, I certainly would not feel any regret about it. I could give a few past examples where I have divulged a few tricks to close friends, but they have forgotten about them. Years later I did the same effect while they were present, and they were dumbfounded! Just a simple example of having no true interest in magic, and therefore they forgot all about it. Maybe later I'll pass on two of the stories where this has happened and I was quite amazed by it.
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
Not to stir this topic up again, since it was a bit of a heated debate, but this was just sent to me today:

"Your magic camp changed my son's life. [A]s a fourteen year old with a learning disability and attention deficit disorder, [he] was struggling with self esteem issues and social interactions skills. Magic has given him confidence and taught him the rewards of consistent practice and focus. [He] has spent many hours entertaining children and adults with disabilities and spends every Christmas visiting elderly in a nearby nursing home who have no family. [He] is successful in school and plans on becoming certified as an EMT after completing high school."
-Karin

That is why we teach magic. At least, that's why I do.

Out of respect to my student, I have chosen to keep his name and their last name anonymous publicly.

Brian
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Again, and for about the 20th time: I have no problem with people teaching or learning magic.

It's when that "teaching" is basically exposing magic methodology to a room full of disinterested students or campers who'd just as soon be learning woodworking, or playing basketball that I take exception.
Quote:
"Kids! Today you can either take a math quiz, or you can watch me show you how this "Ball and Vase" trick works and then I'll show you how that cool "Coloring Book" that your birthday party magician did last year works too! What do you say, kids?!?!?!"
Uh huh... I figured as much.

Is this so hard to understand?
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

That is a really inspiring story, Brian, and I am sure you didn't just foist magic on those who could care less. Even if you did, though, this one success may have balanced it out. Man, it is confusing, because I really feel just as gaddy on this topic...
mindguru
View Profile
Veteran user
320 Posts

Profile of mindguru
The truth is that teaching is where the money is, many make more teaching than they ever did performing.
mindguru
View Profile
Veteran user
320 Posts

Profile of mindguru
The internet has given those who wish to teach, a host of new opportunities they never would have had before.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » How come so many posts on the magic Café are about "teaching magic" ? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL