The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Re: CUPS. Too Bad we .... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Too bad we don't keep track of who used to own who's cups.
I'll bet some sets of cups have taken an interesting route thru the hands/homes of various magicians across the globe.

I wonder how many of us have re-purchased our own set of cups unawares.

Just something I've been thinking about.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1353 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
I just acquired a set of cups that I am told belonged to A former IBM International President. I am not sure if that is the correct title, so IBM guys please do not start slamming me.

Anyhow, they are very interesting, old, kind of beat up. They look like Johnny Paul cups, only a bit smaller and the bottoms are much more recessed.

I hope to see the person I got them from this weekend, I need to confirm the name of the past owner. I wrote it down, but lost the darn thing.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I remember where I got all my cups. Some have more interesting histories than others, it's true. If I ever acquire some very "famous" cups I'll probably ship them off to Bill P. for inclusion in his museum (if he wants 'em).

Knowing one's history is always a good thing.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Frank, do you remember who you sold those Babes to? We can at least track those that far and maybe farther if he sold them.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I am terrible, I forget a lot... what kind of cups, where I got them, etc. Mainly 'cuz I got lot of them 20 or more years ago.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Interesting observation, Frank. When I first started collecting cups, I wasn't very good at recording where they came from or how much I paid. I'm much more careful now.
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
I got mine from Epiphany.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

I cannot remember Dave. I'll see if I can track that down.
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of fortasse
This thread reminds me of the film "The Red Violin" which traces the fictional history of a single violin as it passed from one owner to the next over the tumultuous course of several centuries. Fascinating thing to contemplate. There are some really old tin cups in my collection and every time I hold them I wonder what stories they would tell, if only they could talk.

Fortasse
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2010-05-27 14:27, gaddy wrote:
I remember where I got all my cups. Some have more interesting histories than others, it's true. If I ever acquire some very "famous" cups I'll probably ship them off to Bill P. for inclusion in his museum (if he wants 'em).

Knowing one's history is always a good thing.

I will take cups that belonged to ANYONE of ANY import at all. And I don't necessarily mean that the person has to be "somebody." There are people on my cups of the greats page that some have never heard of. But they will one day, I think.

In your case, gaddy, you are a known performer, so there would be no question. But think about this -- I had often heard of J. Elder Blackledge. I had little idea who he was until I got his cups at the Jay Marshall auction.

Those cups were the ones he used when he performed for Franklin Roosevelt.

So it's not just the performer, it's the audience, too. It's the whole pictorial aspect of the history.

Quote:
On 2010-05-27 14:16, professorwhut wrote:
I just acquired a set of cups that I am told belonged to A former IBM International President. I am not sure if that is the correct title, so IBM guys please do not start slamming me.

Anyhow, they are very interesting, old, kind of beat up. They look like Johnny Paul cups, only a bit smaller and the bottoms are much more recessed.

I hope to see the person I got them from this weekend, I need to confirm the name of the past owner. I wrote it down, but lost the darn thing.

These just might be P&L cups. Some of these were hallmarked, others weren't. It all depended on the material (I haven't seen any steel P&L cups that were hallmarked) and who the retail outlet was. Some of the cups sold through Abbot's were not hallmarked.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1353 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
I was thinking these might be P&L cups.
I need to find out again who they belonged to.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2010-05-27 15:09, Dave V wrote:
Frank, do you remember who you sold those Babes to? We can at least track those that far and maybe farther if he sold them.

Quote:
On 2010-05-27 19:15, Frank Starsini wrote:
I cannot remember Dave. I'll see if I can track that down.

Frank, you sold me a copper set of GA Babes (plus 4 red leather monkey fist balls) about six (?) years ago. Is this the set that you and Dave are referring to.

Six years? Man, its funny how time flies when you're having a good time. (grin)

Best,

Mike

P.S. Those Babes are one stout mother of a cup set. I've taken to using two of the cups as car jack stands when changing the oil in my car. The third cup is used to catch any oil drips in the event the oil drain plug had not been sufficiently re-tightened. (I, of course, rotate the three cups so that they each wear evenly.)
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I'm very proud to say that my every day worker cups were once owned by Pete Biro. Hmm, I should probably get a letter of authenticity.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Yes, Turk. That is probably them. I don't see how it could not be. I've only owned one set of babes. So now we know.

Cool.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Turk, those would be the ones. If the balls are suede leather then those were made by yours truly.

If you ever sell those cups, please let one of us know so we can keep the lineage going.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
I'll be happy to keep both you and Frank "in the loop". But, that said, don't hold your breath waiting for these to be sold. They were my first set of "professional" cups and, if only on the basis of sentimental value, I don't see how I could ever part with these.

And, excellent monkey fist balls, Dave. Kudos to you in that regard.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Re: CUPS. Too Bad we .... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL