The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » No instant magic...Am I unique among magicians? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Comedy Writer
View Profile
Special user
594 Posts

Profile of Comedy Writer
Nope. I don't do magic on command. Never have. I plan my shows -- even strolling ones for maximum effect.
Want to see magic? Come to my shows; better magic, better door, better for everyone.

CW
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Not everyone is a pro. We amatuers would never get to show our stuff following your personal rule.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
RLFrame
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of RLFrame
CW,

I get your point and many will agree with you. I disagree, however, on some points. I don't agree that impromptu performances equals "magic on command." Magic ANd SHowmanship and other sources offer theatrical structure for impromtu performances too, where the entertainer better controls the situation. You also seem to imply that impromptu demonstrations are not planned. While the situation may not be expected, impromptu routines should be planned, blocked, practiced and ready to go. In my never humble opinion, if you're after maximum impact, true impromptu with everything borrowed multiplies impact because they know there are no camera tricks or tricky props. Then also, many have credited impromptu performances for getting booked for more formal shows. And if you enjoy doing magic for people, it's just fun. Finally, especially since Max Maven release Nothing, many have pondered the wisdom of being able to perform if the taxi driver drives off with you suicase/props, or if you are at some social event with no props, the scheduled entertainer has projectile vomiting and you are asked to fill in unexpectedly by a desperate entertainment committee. Pros especially should be prepared for any contingency.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=41
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Quote:
On 2010-05-27 14:18, Comedy Writer wrote:
Nope. I don't do magic on command. Never have. I plan my shows -- even strolling ones for maximum effect.
Want to see magic? Come to my shows; better magic, better door, better for everyone.

CW

Surely you do some impromptu for family and close friends...? Or do they have to come to the show too?
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Paco iglacias
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Paco iglacias
I personally love impromptu magic. planning is great, but when it comes down to it Mr. Murphy hates me quite a bit, and loves to punish me to the full extent of his law. So the more I can do with what I can find in the immediate area the better.
as for presentation, it all depends on who is asking. If they're asking nice, or I like them, I'll go ahead and do a few tricks, but if they're snapping at me like I'm a trained monkey they can go sit and spin for all I care.
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
I always have something ready. Makes it exciting.

Regards,
Mike
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
Magic should not look prepared, but it should be prepared. If you want to be seen as a genius of technology and dexterity, do present your magic as planned.

I personally want magic to look like, real magic. Something that happens as a coincidence or by accident. I use props that, though they are gaffed, rigged and gimmicked, they look natural and everyday. Nothing high tech.

Magic rests it's success on surprise! A presentation that is presented as a planned event may loose that element of surprise.
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

"Curiosity isn't a sin Harry, but it should be exorcised with great caution."

-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
http://www.jordanallen-mentalist.webs.com/
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On 2010-06-05 13:12, ibm_usa wrote:
Magic rests it's success on surprise! A presentation that is presented as a planned event may loose that element of surprise.

A complete routine or series of effects needs both Anticipation and Surprise in balance, methinks -- all surprise without building expectations can loose the 'magic' and just become a skill demonstration. But 'planned' and 'well practiced' are different functions -- and giving the appearance of being spontaneous can be the most practiced art of all. I used to enjoy passing out a basket full of objects and allow spectators to decide what I would use for the next effect. Thus, nothing was 'planned' but I had dozens of practiced effects I could do.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
bottlemaster
View Profile
New user
Nottingham, UK
36 Posts

Profile of bottlemaster
I suppose the beauty of magic is that it CAN be performed on demand. You wouldn't ask an artist, for example, simply to paint you a picture on the spot!
www.impossiblebottle.co.uk

The Impossible - "What nobody can do until someone does"
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
I agree with CW. I just tell them I don't have my wand. Of course, that has gotten me into some interesting conversations...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Gerald Deutsch
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Gerald Deutsch
IT DEPENDS-

MANY YEARS AGO WHEN I SMOKED AND WASN'T SUPPOSED TO I WAS WORKING AS A STOCKBOY IN THE BASEMENT AND I WANTED TO BE A SALESMAN UPSTAIRS.

THE MANAGER CAUGHT ME AND ANGRILY TOLD ME "HEY KID - MAKE THAT CIGARETTE DISAPPEAR FAST!"

I PUT IT INTO MY LEFT HAND, WAVED MY RIGHT FINGERS OVER MY LEFT HAND AND - AND - THE CIGARETEE WAS GONE -

AND I WAS OUT OF THE BASEMENT AND A SALESMAN UPSTAIRS.
Alex Rapattoni
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle, Wa
229 Posts

Profile of Alex Rapattoni
It's funny how people react to finding ou that you are a magician. I think the gut reaction "show me a trick" is just a defense mechanism to make you say no. If you do say no, then magic has been reduced to tricky apparatuses and people don't feel so bad about being tricked. That's why, whenever someone asks me to show them a trick I say "well what do you have on you" and try to figure something out with that. However if I randomly decided to do magic for someone, I have something on me. Preparing myself in this way has saved me a lot of trouble when thinking about what I should bring with me when I leave the house.
Weird is part of the job.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
I like it best when you haven't done any trick, but have helped a person solve a problem they considered "impossible." Rather than admit that you might just have more experience or knowledge they ask, "Are you a magician?"

This has happened to me so many times that I am hesitant to claim knowing what a spectator actually thinks about a magic effect. The amazing part is that in spite of seeing so much poorly performed magic they still crave more.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
markmiller
View Profile
Special user
731 Posts

Profile of markmiller
Some magicians are "on" all the time, ready at the drop of a hat to do twenty minutes. Some pros are like that, but most I've met do shows and are extroverts on stage and introverts off.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2010-06-02 08:37, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
[
Surely you do some impromptu for family and close friends...? Or do they have to come to the show too?

Not all of us have the need or desire to perform on demand like trained animals

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/03b6d2c......id-girls
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
kmpx18
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of kmpx18
One of the first things I was ever taught in being a magician was be ready to do magic at a moments notice. and by the way CW then how was it that you made it to stage magic? we all have to start somewhere and its usually impromptu street magic
magicmonk
View Profile
New user
Donald Monk
23 Posts

Profile of magicmonk
Surely when someone introduces you as 'a magician' the situation is usually unusual enough to warrent the request to 'prove' yourself.

I always carry something that I can 'show' if required, but am also armed with lots of 'impromptu' stuff that I have learnt over the years.

I don't know if I'm alowed a plug, but if you visit http://HowToBeMagic.com you'll see where I put down lots of these ideas.

The odd 'impromptu' bit can sometimes lead to a paid gig.
Have a Chuckle,- and get a Free Magic Tutorial at http://www.MagicMonkSolutions.com
eywi
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of eywi
I love doing magic at a moments notice it has that kind of on the spot feel that I think fans really appreciate
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Live and breathe magic. That's my take. Money? Well, it's great, but I just enjoy spreading wonder wherever I go. I guess I have had too much Doug Henning in my boyhood.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Wizzard
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of Wizzard
Carry a blank contract!

SgtNewlon
It's never the wand, it's always the magician
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » No instant magic...Am I unique among magicians? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL