The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Film to Life (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Joanie Spina
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Joanie Spina
Who is known for designing "film to life" effects?
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Is this similar?
http://tonychapek.com/
~michael baker
The Magic Company
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7350 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
There was a chap from Greece who did it before Tony. Georgous, I think was his name.

But I think it goes back to David Devant if I am not mistaken. I want to think I remember reading something about it being done at Egyptian Hall.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
There was also a description of a routine in Tops Treasury of Illusions by Tom Palmer. I'm also trying to recall who else I saw demonstrate the technique on tv, with explanation. It was a long time ago, maybe Dick Cavett??
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3639 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Hey there,

Two thoughts.....

If you are talking about folks/dancers walking in and out of the screen (strips) etc. then you may want to investigate the Laterna Magika that the Czechs worked with for exhibits. Tibor Rudas in N.A.S also used it in his showroom revues in the 70's, I believe he was out of Florida. ie. a car whould pull up on the screen, the door would open and a real girl would come out of the screen from the open `car door, street dressed dancers would run into the screen and you would see them changing and then come back out of the screen in full Vegas costuming. there would sometimes be 3 screens on the stage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laterna_Magika

Here it mentions "living screens" as a Tibor invention...

http://professionalperformers.blogspot.c......_06.html

Blair
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
I slammed my head against
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
Tony Chapek's silk routine is Fantastic!!
noble1
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of noble1
I think Mark Wilson did this for a World's Fair exhibit in the 60's in new York.
keithmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of keithmagic
Jonie,

Mark Wilson and his son I think would be the ones you would want to talk to about the historical significance, etc...

I believe Tom Palmer helped them (or at least inspired them) piece one together.

Keith
Author of "The Festival Entertainer" The Professional Entertainer's Guide to Booking and Working Outdoor Fairs, Festivals, and Events.
Available at http://www.howtobookfestivals.com
Laszlo Csizmadi
View Profile
Special user
From Hell
869 Posts

Profile of Laszlo Csizmadi
The illusion invented by Horace Goldin (inspired by an earlier presentation by magician George Melies) in which he interacted with a woman in a film projected onto an onstage screen. Objects were passed back and forth from the filmed woman to Goldin. He lighted her cigarette and appeared in the filmed sequence.

The climax of the illusion was the woman stepping visibly from the center of the screen, which was seen to be seamless and unbroken.

Modern versions of the illusion have used a video projection. This simplifies considerably the problem of synchronizing the actions; if videotape is used, it is a much simpler matter to produce a tape sequence precisely as required, and, if live video is employed, the performer can actually look to an offstage area and see the people whose images are being projected (who, in turn, can synchronize with the performer's actions).

Here is a video from Goldin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAfzPo15Ep0

Best,

Las
Fabricem
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of Fabricem
Hugmagic are you refferring to Jorgos?
here a video link :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a1F7_0cISo
videokideo
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of videokideo
That first link is brilliant...and probably a great start for locating a design team that helped him.

Its not a hard technology, just a lot of preparation with 3 factors that must work to gether flawlessly (you will have a ton of storyboards).
1. good script and routine
2. filming the routine itself with timing scripted onscreen and off
3. understanding how to make the magic effects work (example the hank into the hand and then on tv..the placement of his hand on the tv hides how the onscreen actor is seemingly pulling the hang from nowhere)

Scripting, timing and screen placement must be planned for each scene.

I once had an idea to end all my sales meetings with a trick. So I wanted someone on a computer monitor to hand me a business card to give to the client as I seemed to have forgotten to bring any. I would ask them to play a video on my site, and then I would reach to their screen and pull out the card to hand to them. Technically it worked....the problem was that various video size and resolution options made it difficult. Clients all had their resolutions set differently, so on a small screen res., the effect didn't play well. Overall it didn't work out because of this. With tv or plasma, this would not be the case.

When we filmed the scene, we had the person who was to be shown on tv sit behind a sized photo style frame...we filmed everything within the inner edge of the frame, and she used the frame as a key to where things would happend on the screen. The hard part was the timing of it all...making sure what was filmed timed out correctly for the magician to properly work with the video. If what is happening on the screen is uncut, you must script what that actor is doing at the same time the live performer is doing his part on stage...and once again, they must be timed perfectly.

When filming the person for onscreen, we asked the performer to stand outside of her frame and play along as if it was on stage with the tv...this helped her keep time with his part seeing it was going to be uncut. Essentially, they did the routine together in person while he was on the outside of the photo frame and she was being filmed. She could laugh, talk, interact with the magician properly easier seeing he was on the outside of the frame working with her...some try to time it out without both actors being in the same room, and its near impossible. My suggestion is film the actor on tv while the performer is actually next to them doing his role just outside of the frame. This way, in the live performance, the only difference to the magician was he did the same routine, but this time with a tv and not a person sitting in a frame next to him. The tv screen was marked with tape around the edges for the magician to know his spots and where to interact with the screen (example the phone cord coming out at the right position).

Its much like a magic routine in that if filmed correctly, you seem to be a step ahead of the audience trying to keep up and figure it out.

Joanie...im sure I shared nothing new to you here, but my point being is that the production is not as hard as it may seem...it is writing a good routine that takes the time. Written correctly for both onscreen and stage performer. Once its written, you just have them play it out in person side by side with the onscreen actor being in a frame.

Im not sure there is a person or firm that is known for doing this...Most professional production firms should be able to handle this filming. The hard part is scripting to be entertaining then making sure the timing of it all plays well and doesn't drag.

Feel free to pm if you have any specific questions on the production side of it.
Joanie Spina
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Joanie Spina
Thank you all for your input. I appreciate it very much.
I was looking for someone who is currently performing and designing this type of effect, like Marco Tempest, who uses the effect many times I his act. I didn't know if there were others.
But now I feel much more educated, thanks to all of you!
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
879 Posts

Profile of sperris
Timo Marc has the best current one in my opinion - instead of putting things into the film/tv and having magic happen to them - he pulls them out of the screen and does magic with them

then he does a giant screen/shadow screen where he steps into it and causes things to happen to his body ultimately visibly pulling off his own head - here is a clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD1Sls05N8M
DANSPERRY.COM
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
I'm going to guess that Winsor McCay was probably the first person to do this with Gertie the Dinosaur in 1914. McCay (creator of "Little Nemo") toured in vaudeville for a time talking to an animated dinosaur on a large screen. He would shout directions to Gertie, toss her an apple, and finally, step into the screen and ride her away.

-Philip
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7350 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Jorgos was the gentleman I was thinking of.

I did see Mark Wilson in the 1960's use it a trade show presentation. As I recalled he projected it onto a stack of boxes and then produced the girl.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Craig Dickens
View Profile
Veteran user
367 Posts

Profile of Craig Dickens
Mark Wilson with Alan Wakeling called it Cinellusion. There are photos in the Wakeling book of one of the effects. I installed a show in Legoland for Mark that utilized the concept. His on-screen image interacting with real performers onstage for various illusions. Marks concept always used a solid screen.He used in extensively in the 60's. The Ice Capades in the 60's used the concept with projected skaters coming out of the screen. in that case it wasn't much of a trick--just a screen of white elastic strips. For the terminator show at Universal studios the concept was used as a motorcycle drove into the middle of an apparently solid screen. This used the mechanics Mark and Alan devised to levitate a girl in front of a solid screen. Joanie--contact Steve Dick. As you know he worked with Mark for years and could fill you in on the concept.
e-mail at:magicaldickens@aol.com
keithmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of keithmagic
Joanie -

Don't forget Franz Harary as well.

He has done (still does) a lot of unique in/out of video TV work. He was probably the first to modernize the concept in the 80's-90's.

Keith
Author of "The Festival Entertainer" The Professional Entertainer's Guide to Booking and Working Outdoor Fairs, Festivals, and Events.
Available at http://www.howtobookfestivals.com
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2206 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
Copperfield did 2 versions of film to life. One back in the 80's with a larger box on which was projected a video of a bar scene where he interacted with a lady who was being picked on by a guy. He shot pool, poured a drink, and grabbed a couple people in and out of the box in coordination with the film. He ended by producing a small elephant.
Later in the 90's he did a film to life bit with a video of Orson Welles. A card trick where Orson found a card picked by someone from the audience on stage.
reedrc
View Profile
Inner circle
1344 Posts

Profile of reedrc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ybw09P2PBU

Audience view: Here is a video of the bike Illusion from Terminator 2 3D (Japan) its actually a pretty cool effect.
Kind Regards

Ryan C. Reed
Founder, Illusion Entertainment

designer, director, theatrical consultant, digital wizard, magic impresario, wonder aficionado, Illusioneer & dream architect.

Instagram
Facebook
Murray Hatfield
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
148 Posts

Profile of Murray Hatfield
I used a version of a screen to life on my tour and it played well.

The screen was a 6 x 8 daelite screen mounted onto a "BA" platform. I had a video filmed of me walking towards the camera so that I started small (about 1 foot high) and stopped walking when I was full height (this took about 2.5 seconds). At that point the video-me reached forward and made a gesture like opening a curtain (splitting it in the middle). My screen was made of spandex with a centre split and I was behind the screen watching the (front projected) video. As the video me made the "splitting" gesture the real me simply opened the split in the spandex in the same manner and the same place.

As the split opened there was a video wipe of the video-me (starting right where my hands were) in an elongated diamond shape. Thus the video-me vanished just as the real me appeared through the split. The white light from the projector also lit me up so that I was immediately visible until the spots could pick me up.

It sounds a bit tricky but actually because I was behind the screen watching, it was easy to time it for me to open the split.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Film to Life (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL