The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Finale for ring on rope (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
teachersears
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of teachersears
I'm working on, have performed a bit, a hoop - juggling hoop- on rope. But I have no ending. It's on, it's off, it's on, it's off - and tada! - it's on! Any ideas? Thanks.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Teachersears
Before I can answer your question we have to establish common termonology. I understand what juggling rings are, but I know of no juggling prop manufacturer who makes a juggling hoop.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Besides your terminology, if that is your attitude during presentation, you need more then an ending, people like to be entertained by someone that is interested in lifting their lives a little.

I will advise you go to this web site and scroll down to the last item by Professional Magician Jeff Hobson. Order his CDs "Peak Performance for Entertainers" $19.95 is an excellent investment.
teachersears
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of teachersears
Sorry, rings would be the correct term.

Actually, that kind of performance attitude sort of strikes me as funny. I can see the magician unceremoniously dropping the ring and rope into his bag and grabbing the miser's bucket. "Look. A coin. Another. Another. Some more. A lot more. The end."

My presentation is fun. I'm getting good reactions. I'm connecting well with the audience. (I'm no Jeff Hobson.)

I just feel like I need a little extra zip to the end of the trick.

Thanks.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Do a pan flip (single) in the air with the ring, catch it around your neck, and take a bow. If you want to include the rope you can do rope through the neck.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
What was I thinking? Actually that move is called a pancake flip.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The Ring and Rope presentation is much like the Linking Rings presentation. Look at the penetrations and releases you have and then make it build to a Finale. The Finale is punched by having the spectator hold the ring or bring the ring and rope close to the eyes of the spectator as the penetration happens. Emphasize the final penetration off the rope. That brings the high point of the finish.

In other words, your expressions, words, and emphases on the final movements make the "big" finish.
inaciolino
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of inaciolino
Wmhegbli has showed the key. The secret for a Big Finale is in the presentation. Let you body talk for you, make it happen.
murrari
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of murrari
I wonder whether looking at David Williamson's Ring and Rope routine would give you the ending you may be searching for...?

Or Eric DeCamps ring and rope routine

Or Lewis Ganson's routine ....

Just a thought...
Andrew Murray
M.I.M.C. Gold Star
AndrewMurrayMagic

DON'T WAIT FOR INSPIRATION is my brand new e-book with 10 new routines.

APTITUDE is my first PLATINUM e-book with 10 new routines + 'SIGNS' bonus.

PLATINUM MEMBERSHIP is available here.

DNA
MarceloElGrande
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of MarceloElGrande
Or Charlie Frye´s Eccentricks
"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." (Steve Martin)
"We are all amateurs, life is too short for us to be anything else" (Charlie Chaplin)
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Teachersears points out a valid potential problem. Many magic routines that involve doing (in general terms) the same thing repeatedly often don't have a structure that naturally builds to a finish. (The 6 card repeat would be another example)

However, such problems can usually be solved.

murrai suggested looking at David Williamson's published routine. Williamson solves the problem of no finish by moving the routine away from the 'ring on/off rope' premise and effectively hits the audience with a different rope effect that rounds off the whole routine. This can be a very effective stratergy, is an excellent starting point to solve the ending problem and is well worth your while checking out.

Other stratergies are; playing up the fact that the effect has no ending....

adding a transformation, such as changing the rope's colour, or the rings colour, or the ring for something else.

moving into another effect such as a thumb tie using the ring and rope or any effect using either the ring or the rope.

Hope that's given you some ideas, hopefully others here will have more to add.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Unfortunately, Mr. Hobson's audio CD, "Peak Performance for Entertainers," described as "professional hypnotherapy audio sessions," is listed as "unavailable until further notice."

Woland
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Since juggling rings have a flat surface, you should have hell of a kick in reading Tommy Wonder routine in his Books of Wonder
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
What size are the rings? How long is the rope? What audience size? What venue? Close-up, stage? Audience participation. your style? Are you funny?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Yeah
What Pete said.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
What I say?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Pete Amigo
You have named most, if not all of the variables that could change the finale of a ring, and rope routine.

MERRY CHRISTMAS
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2010-12-24 12:26, Pete Biro wrote:
What size are the rings? How long is the rope? What audience size? What venue? Close-up, stage? Audience participation. your style? Are you funny?

I'm not funny. sob
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Thom Bliss
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern California
271 Posts

Profile of Thom Bliss
The idea of my ring and rope routine is to get the ring to stay on the middle of the rope. If
I put the rope through the ring, it comes off the middle. If I put the ring around the rope, the
ring comes off the middle. So I put the ring on the middle of the rope. It slides off the
end.

The starting point of my routine was Aldo Colombini’s ring and rope routine, but I’ve
changed it quite a bit.

One thing I’ve added. I have the ring attached to the rope not once, but twice, and need
not one, not two, but three helpers. One holds one end of the rope, one the other end. The
third is to pull on the ring to show that it won’t come off. But it does. This allows the
helpers to inspect the ring and rope. It could be the end of your routine. But not mine.

After thanking the helpers and sending them back to their seats, I tie a knot in the middle
of the rope. The ring penetrates the rope at the knot, ending up knotted to the rope.
Doesn’t come off the middle and won’t slide off the end. That’s straight out of Aldo’s
routine. It’s the end of my routine.

But not Aldo’s. He unties the rope, freeing the ring, then has the rope tie itself while the
ring penetrates the rope, ending up tied to the rope.

In one of Aldo’s other tapes he has a linking ropes routine, part of which could be used as
a finale. Tie the ends of the rope together to form a loop, the hard ring then penetrates the
rope loop (or do they penetrate each other)?

Do you do, or would like to do, a cut and restored rope routine? There’s a greatest ring
and rope video (it includes part, but not all, of Aldo’s routine) where, after the ring and
rope are inspected, the rope is tied into a loop. The ring and loop link together. The loop
must be cut in two to free the ring. Now you have two pieces of rope, tied together, ready
for the first restoration.

Of course, you could place the ring aside to go into some other rope routine, such as
professor’s nightmare. Or add more rings. Or add more rings and a second rope (a la
grandmother’s necklace).

I don’t think I can say much more in an open forum, but feel free to send me a PM.

Thom
oso2you
View Profile
Regular user
Oregon
128 Posts

Profile of oso2you
I've been studying the Columbini printed routines. Great stuff there. His ending where the ring is knotted on the middle of the rope and the ring comes free with the knot ending up on your thumb is hard to beat in my opinion. I've thought about going into a cut and restored rope as an ending also.

Don
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Finale for ring on rope (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL