The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Finale for ring on rope (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2011-03-03 12:10, Thom Bliss wrote:
The idea of my ring and rope routine is to get the ring to stay on the middle of the rope. If
I put the rope through the ring, it comes off the middle. If I put the ring around the rope, the
ring comes off the middle. So I put the ring on the middle of the rope. It slides off the
end.

The starting point of my routine was Aldo Colombini’s ring and rope routine, but I’ve
changed it quite a bit.

One thing I’ve added. I have the ring attached to the rope not once, but twice, and need
not one, not two, but three helpers. One holds one end of the rope, one the other end. The
third is to pull on the ring to show that it won’t come off. But it does. This allows the
helpers to inspect the ring and rope. It could be the end of your routine. But not mine.

After thanking the helpers and sending them back to their seats, I tie a knot in the middle
of the rope. The ring penetrates the rope at the knot, ending up knotted to the rope.
Doesn’t come off the middle and won’t slide off the end. That’s straight out of Aldo’s
routine. It’s the end of my routine.

But not Aldo’s. He unties the rope, freeing the ring, then has the rope tie itself while the
ring penetrates the rope, ending up tied to the rope.

In one of Aldo’s other tapes he has a linking ropes routine, part of which could be used as
a finale. Tie the ends of the rope together to form a loop, the hard ring then penetrates the
rope loop (or do they penetrate each other)?

Do you do, or would like to do, a cut and restored rope routine? There’s a greatest ring
and rope video (it includes part, but not all, of Aldo’s routine) where, after the ring and
rope are inspected, the rope is tied into a loop. The ring and loop link together. The loop
must be cut in two to free the ring. Now you have two pieces of rope, tied together, ready
for the first restoration.

Of course, you could place the ring aside to go into some other rope routine, such as
professor’s nightmare. Or add more rings. Or add more rings and a second rope (a la
grandmother’s necklace).

I don’t think I can say much more in an open forum, but feel free to send me a PM.

Thom

Quote:
On 2011-03-21 21:23, oso2you wrote:
I've been studying the Columbini printed routines. Great stuff there. His ending where the ring is knotted on the middle of the rope and the ring comes free with the knot ending up on your thumb is hard to beat in my opinion. I've thought about going into a cut and restored rope as an ending also.

Don

I have done variations of these ring in/off knot, knot on thumb, ring back in knot then off knot and then segue into a jumping and vanishing knot sequence, where the knot jumps from end to end, to the middle, back to the ends and then vanishes to end the routine, only to discover that the ring has also vanished...this always floored audiences because the jumping knots bit was done with such rapid succession that nobody noticed that the ring was gone almost 30-40 seconds before.

Without a ring, you cannot do Ring on anything so we must be finished...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Finale for ring on rope (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL