The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How I won my first magic competition (and what I learned from it) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I was in a discussion with a magician friend not long ago. We where basically just sharing stories of our experiences while performing. I haven't been all that active in magic lately because I've had other things going on. But now I'm getting back into things. So I thought I'd share one of the things we discussed. It was an experience that taught me a lot. So I felt it was worth sharing.

The year was 1999. The place was at the Abbott's magic get together in Colon Michigan. This was the first year I ever entered any magic contest. I spent months working out my act I planned to do in the contest. To this day I'm still very proud of the act I put together for this. For I've performed many of the things I planned for this act many time since. But on that night during the close up contest I didn't perform a single trick I had spent all that time working on in my act.

The act I had worked out consisted of chop cup routine. Instead of using balls it used ice cubes. The magic wand was a straw. For the final loads there was a full glass of ice, a small can of orange juice and a small bottle of vodka.

I had some IT work planned in the act.

But when I got there I saw that the top of the table they had for us was slanted forward so the audience could see the table top. This took my chop cup routine out of the act. My IT work was also out of the act due to a bright light directly above the small platform stage.

So there I was. Unable to do what I had spent months preparing to perform. As they went down the list of the performers before me I was still deciding what I was going to perform when it was my turn. I had basically given up the idea of winning the contest. So my plan was to just come up with a short act that's good enough not to get my booed off the stage. Smile

I ended up just doing a few routines that I did at the time during my restaurant strolling gigs and private parties.

I ended up taking first place in this first contest I had ever entered. Now here are some of the things this experience has taught me.

First of all one of the reasons I won was because I really wasn't aiming to win anymore. I didn't care who or were the judges where. I didn't think about what I was being judged on. Win or loose didn't' matter to me anymore. I just went up there and entertained a group of people.

I performed what I was use to performing. I had no worries about making mistakes. Even if I did make a mistake, which really did happen, I have had them happen before and knew what to do if they happen again. In other words I had plenty of experience with what I was doing.

All of this made me very relaxed. Of course I was a nervous but to be honest after the shock of not being able to do what I had spent all that time working on. And more importantly things I have never really done for a live audience. Then finally decided what I will be doing in instead. A tremendous amount of pressure was lifted from me. I was able to just have fun with it. And when the performer is genuinely having fun, or is professional enough to look and act like they are enjoying themselves. The audience can tell this and it presents them with a more entertaining experience.

So what I'm trying to say with all this is that if you are planning on being in a magic contest, especially a close up or parlor one. Master what you are going to perform. Perform them so often that you've truly mastered them. Then only perform what you've mastered in your act. Don't worry about winning or loosing. Or course we all want to win but don't worry about it. Just do the best you can do and experience the performance. Tackle the contest act just like you would for any time you perform.

The bottom line is to enjoy it. That will show and you're audience will enjoy it more. If you don't win just look at it as an experience and try again.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
AlexanderY
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of AlexanderY
Nice story Jaxon. Thanks for sharing this. I am also taking part in a competition soon and I am really nervous about it.

I totally agree with you about enjoying your own performance. Once you enjoy what you are doing, the audience will naturally enjoy it too.
jtb
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of jtb
Thanks for relating your experience.

I also think that it is important to present what is already tested. I am always surprised at what works best with an audience and what doesn't work as well. Once I find a routine that gets a good response then I keep doing it and polish it as I perform it.

What will work well with the general public will also resonate with the audience of judges. The judges are of course much more expert but they are still people.

It's not only what you are comfortable with, it's also what you have found to be effective based on your performance style and personality.
oOMagiiCOo
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of oOMagiiCOo
These competitions sound so nervracking. Good luck AlexanderY
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How I won my first magic competition (and what I learned from it) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL