The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Which cups not to buy....... (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Dale Houck
View Profile
Veteran user
Dakota J Magic at Saint Cloud, FL
373 Posts

Profile of Dale Houck
I have a Santa Cruz chop cup from the Colin Rose "Trafalgar Collection." Owning this cup violates suggestion #7 on my list, however. I'm pretty sure I would cry if I dropped this on a concrete floor and it was damaged.

I definitely think it's best not to tell people what we have paid for some of our cups!
Magic is where you find it.....
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
You are right. Normal people do not understand the actions of the abnormal. I'm putting myself into that category.

I have a friend who knows a guy (this is not an urban legend) who had a Losander table -- one of the $1250 ones. He was getting ready to perform at a Christmas party in one of the wealthier neighborhoods in Houston. He had set up the Losander table, and left it unguarded. When he came back, several idiots had placed their drinks on top of the table, and it had broken.

The fellow went ballistic! He was ranting when the host came over.

The host said, "I'll replace it." He got out his wallet. "What did it cost?"

"$1250.00"

The host examined the wreckage and said "$1250.00!!!??? This thing's made out of b****! You PAID $1250.00 FOR A TABLE MADE OUT OF B****!!! ARE YOU CRAZY?."

It could have been prevented if the fellow had known about watching your props like a hawk and not placing them where people can do that to them.

Expensive lesson.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
I think Bill Malone violates suggestion #6 when perform Rub a Dub-dub Cups and Balls
“Magic becomes art when it has nothing to hide.” BEN OKRI quote
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Quote:
On 2010-06-07 09:53, Bill Palmer wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-06-07 07:28, cupsandballsmagic wrote:
Stevie Ray Vaughan played a guitar for all of his career that most most people would have thrown in the bin but he could make it sing. Soul is not just in your equipment, it's in yer fingers and heart....

Stevie basically built that guitar, though, just to fit the way he played. I've done the same thing with banjos.

Bill, being a musician, have you visited Charley's Guitar Shop where Stevie first picked up number1? I know it is in your neck of the woods (wish it were in mine!)

I know Rene Martinez had a hard job keeping number 1 alive, Stevie was so hard on his kit!

Real Stevie fans can tell the year of bootleg footage by the parts on number 1 as it was built and rebuilt so many times! I can't say I am that fanatical though!

I plan to visit Texas someday and take a tour Smile

To at least end on topic I guess this shows how your equipment, although nice is only part of what you bring to the table...

Bri
Dale Houck
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of Dale Houck
Quote:
On 2010-06-07 10:20, walid ahumada wrote:
I think Bill Malone violates suggestion #6 when perform Rub a Dub-dub Cups and Balls

Well, that routine has used inexpensive plastic cups for a long time. Michael Skinner used the Adams or Royal cups for that effect when he was famous for it during the 1990's and possibly before. The difference was that Michael Skinner used it when performing when children were present and Bill Malone uses it for "adult" children as well. Michael Skinner didn't use final loads when he did it. I like Bill's Malone's finish line.
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Quote:
I have a friend who knows a guy (this is not an urban legend) who had a Losander table , <snip> several idiots had placed their drinks on top of the table, and it had broken.

That is tragic, I feel for him. The only thing like that which has happened to me was my partner "dumped a broken bulb", it was actually half an original Scotty York bulb, the other half was charging. I could have cried...

Bri
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
I love watching people "in the know" reaction when Kent goes to flipping his engraved Sherwoods!
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

I have to agree Mickey, when I first saw him tossing those in the air I almost crossed myself!
Dale Houck
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of Dale Houck
Quote:
On 2010-06-07 10:19, Bill Palmer wrote:

It could have been prevented if the fellow had known about watching your props like a hawk and not placing them where people can do that to them.

Expensive lesson.

There was this guy who used to live in Springfield, Missouri (not an urban legend either, but I'm being intentionally vague about his identity), who had a a set of RNT Bells of St. Marys cups silver plated. He couldn't find one of the original six sets that were made in sterling, so he did what he thought was second best. His wife was a Longaberger basket dealer and they made ceramic flower pots as well as baskets. One day he was playing with a set of the flower pots, using them for cups and balls. His wife was not happy about it. One day he came home and saw his silver plated cups on display in her flower pot basket. She had taken his cups out to his shop and drilled holes in the bottoms with a drill press. She said since he liked her Longaberger flower pots so much she decided to "trade." After the divorce, she ended up with the sterling "flower pots" and he ended up with four sets of the ceramic ones. Now, a few years later, I have someone go to her garage sales looking for some "silver colored flower pots" for me.

Another expensive lesson.
----
Ooops! I meant to say THIS GUY I WAS TALKING ABOUT has someone go to her garage sales looking for silver colored flower pots.

Well. I'll just make that #8 on my list of cups not to buy: "silver colored" flower pots that look like the old Bells of St. Marys cups. However, even though you shouldn't buy them, please send an email to: poordevil@dakotajmagic.com and let him know where to find them......
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
After a David Regal lecture that included his wonderful "Cups and Balls and Cups and Balls" routine, somebody asked David what kind of cups he used. His response was that he used the cheap aluminum cups that everyone disparages and said that he'd never seen a cups and balls routine that was significantly improved by expensive cups.

Food for thought.

John

PS David, if you read this, I hope I got your essential message straight. If not, please correct me.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Dale Houck
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of Dale Houck
Quote:
On 2010-06-07 10:34, MickeyPainless wrote:
I love watching people "in the know" reaction when Kent goes to flipping his engraved Sherwoods!

I would flip Sherwood cups in the air. But first I'd want to take juggling lessons, then I'd want to do it from the center of a king size bed in a carpeted bedroom with extra pillows all around. Then I'd live dangerously and maybe flip them as high as 6" or so.
dsalley13
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of dsalley13
Quote:
On 2010-06-07 09:54, Bill Palmer wrote:
Imagine what people think when I tell them about the HMS Victory cups!

Mr. Palmer,

Are the "HMS Victory Cups" shown in your museum? I couldn't find them and a Goggle search listed only some cup for a sailing event with that name.

dsalley13
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Look up item number SC 215 in the search or scroll down through the special and boxed sets (and drool while you are doing it!)

Bri
(so grateful that Bill Palmer shares his toys with us all!)
dsalley13
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of dsalley13
Quote:
On 2010-06-07 15:08, cupsandballsmagic wrote:
Look up item number SC 215 in the search or scroll down through the special and boxed sets (and drool while you are doing it!)

Bri
(so grateful that Bill Palmer shares his toys with us all!)

Bri,

All I get is "No cups match your request. I can't seem to find the "Special and Boxed Sets" category either. I must be doing something wrong, or I belong under a cup! I did get out my "Drool-Cup" in anticipation, but I can't seem to find the "HMS Victory Cups".

dsalley13

Posted: Jun 7, 2010 3:49pm
Oops! I found it. That category is hidden as a sub-category.

WOW!!! I'd keep them in a safe deposit box if I had them!!! Gloriously beautiful!!! I have my eye on one of his small chop cups. Mr. Rose produces so many fine things. Those are wonderful!!!

I will go crawl back under my cup now...

dsalley13
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Sorry Dale, I will have a clear out! (you should have PM'd me and told me) Smile
Bri
Dale Houck
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of Dale Houck
The purchase of these cups would go against suggestion #1, however, for a set of cups of kids in aluminum, $10 isn't too bad and the colors are pretty!

http://madhattermagicshop.com/magicshop/......_id=8328
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Those are actually rather nice cups for the money, especially at the reduced price.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Beginning to work/play with the set of Sino-Indian aluminum cups I purchased at a local magic shop, I noticed two problems with them. The first problem, already described and illustrated in another thread, was that the mirror-finish on the interior of the cups resulted in a tell when a loaded cup was rested mouth upwards on the table. (I fixed that with spray paint.)

The second problem is that the cups are so thin, that even a single ball talks if it is dropped in. That makes some of the loading moves difficult to do.

Perhaps I could learn to drop the ball more gently. Or use sponge balls. (I'm using RNT2 1 inch regular balls.)

I think this problem has less to do with the material (aluminum) than with the thin walls of the cups. I'm thinking that a thicker cup wall would be quieter.

We tend to disparage aluminum because it has become so common. When recovering the metal from naturally appearing ores was nearly impossible, and aluminum was traded at a price higher than that of gold, Kings and Emperors were proud to display aluminum plate and cutlery. Many gemstones, after all, consist of aluminum oxide crystals.

What I'd really like to see are cups spun from meteorite metal, or alloys containing meteorite metal, such as one occasionally finds in Tibetan bells or the Javanese keris.

Woland
Dale Houck
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of Dale Houck
I think most inexpensive cups are made from aluminum because it is both cheap and easy to work with in the spinning process. I'm guessing here, perhaps a cup spinner can enlighten us. I agree with what you said about them being too thin but I also think they are too soft. Airplanes are made from an alloy that uses mostly aluminum but whatever else they put in there makes them super strong. I suspect that same alloy might be used by Joe Porper for his strong boxes. They are super tough, but maybe it's just because they are thicker. I further suspect that using an airplane type alloy would make the material much more difficult to spin. However, I have an aluminum "found" cup that is super strong and it has a sort of bell shape that makes it able to hold a regulation baseball by friction. It holds it so perfectly that I could actually load it very early if I wanted to. I could absolutely stand on it and there would be no damage at all. I would buy aluminum cups that strong and feel good about it.

Your thought about cups spun from meteorite metal is interesting. I would think meteorites have a high concentration of iron. Are the Tibetan bells spun or cast?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2010-06-07 15:49, dsalley13 wrote:
Oops! I found it. That category is hidden as a sub-category.

WOW!!!! I'd keep them in a safe deposit box if I had them!!! Gloriously beautiful!!! I have my eye on one of his small chop cups. Mr. Rose produces so many fine things. Those are wonderful!!!

I will go crawl back under my cup now......

dsalley13

The easiest way to find these is to look for cups by Five of Hearts Magic Productions. Once you do a search for all of these, the Victory cups will show up. They are actually listed as "The Nelson Cups." I'll change that in the listing so that they are called the HMS Victory Cups. They are also listed on the page of boxed sets. There is a LOT more information about them on that page.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Which cups not to buy....... (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL