The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Help: How to fix a PK ring? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Flyswatter
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of Flyswatter
So I was just browsing around in a magic shop, I asked to look at the PK rings, and as I was putting one down,at around 2 inches, the one on the table flew up and hit the ring in my hand, and one of them chipped off a piece. Instead of questioning the quality of the ring I was too embarrassed to say anything so I bought the broken ring. The ring fits me perfectly, luckily, and is still usable.

Anyways, will super glue be enough to hold magnets in place for a long time? What's the best glue to do so?

And how durable are your PK rings really, are they really THAT fragile?

Thanks in advance,

Dennis
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Most sellers have warnings that Neodymium will chip if allowed to “bang” against another magnet. Also you don’t want to drop it on a hard floor. It’s durable enough, for what it is, but it’s not an all-day every-day piece of jewelry. Wear it when you expect to perform, then put it in a safe place.

Don’t know about the super-glue. It will probably hold alright IF you can get the pieces to line up. I might just keep the chipped area turned sideways.
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
A good two part epoxy glue mix will probably hold it well. I use epoxies for all kinds of repairs and the best choice is the slow cure (24 hours) as compared to quick cures (5 minutes). Generally, the slower the cure, the better and stronger the bond. I doubt super glue will work well for the magnet. Try the epoxy, I think you'll be pleased with the results. One more thing, be sure to mix the two parts thoroughly for a minute or two in order to ensure a thorough blending of the two. Good luck. Bob
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
1921 Posts

Profile of tbaer
PK rings are not durable, they break easy. I never understood members who would post here on the Café that they wear their PK ring 24/7. If I did that it wouldn't last very long. I already went through 2 PK rings just practicing with them.
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
I tried that with my first one. It didn't break, but by the second week the finish was starting to wear thin. It's just not meant to worn like regular jewelry.
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
Shagbeard
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Shagbeard
What kind of rings are there that would make alternative as daily ring? Is there another thread for this... link me if so, please.
Magic speaks to the child in all of us. No matter how sophisticated we become, there's still a part of us who wants to believe in an alternative reality, where we can defy the laws of nature.
MartiniMagic
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of MartiniMagic
I am pretty sure that you will not be able to glue the broken part back. When you try and fit it into where it came it will not snap in place like you expect, but will instead repel. At least that is my experience with neo magnets.
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
942 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
Super glue will glue the piece back on, but breaking a magnet will reduce its magnetic strength. Try using it once repaired to see how much damage was done.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
Thorn
View Profile
New user
United States Virgin Islands
66 Posts

Profile of Thorn
Have anyone ever tried completely submerging their pk ring in crazy glue ? I'm wondering if it would help make the pk ring more sturdy overall.
Shagbeard
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Shagbeard
Or maybe get size bigger and have it dipped in favorite metal and that could make it tougher.
Magic speaks to the child in all of us. No matter how sophisticated we become, there's still a part of us who wants to believe in an alternative reality, where we can defy the laws of nature.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Help: How to fix a PK ring? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL