The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Support local charities (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Many know that I am jobless and due to limited opportunities as well as being the wrong age I am, like many, not getting anyone jumping to hire me. I also, like many, have wiped out my savings etc and have reached the end of the rope. Today I had to hit a food bank because my unemployment ran out and the transition from it to the extension caused a gap and so no denero. I went in to find out how the foodbank worked and they told me and also gave me enough groceries to get through the week. I was very grateful and appreciate that they were there. I was one of those guys who had a job through other bad times and like many didn't think much about it. You should think about it because I wasn't aware how many people do need help with food etc. and too often that help isn't available. So if you can try to help your local food bank because it may be your friend or neighbor that is going to bed with something instead of nothing. If not for them I'd be starving my wife for the next week. For those that do support your local community efforts on their behalf, and mine, thank you.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Really sorry to hear that Santa.... Really hitting hard this economy...

You hang in there, I'm sure things will get better soon...
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Aye, I agree completely. I was unemployed for six months, and burned out my savings as well. I was very grateful to get a job, and even more grateful to all the help I got when I needed it.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
733 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
Santa, sorry to hear about your run of bad luck, I do hope things get better and that extension kicks in soon for you.
We have a local radio station that does a week long fund raising event for our local food bank every year for about the past 10 years or so. The station manager sets up a camp on the front lawn of our local Hilton Hotel. He camps there all week and invites his listeners to come down and camp with him. My son and I set up our tent and stay at least 1 night at the camp. We also do a magic show for the campers ever year as well. Last year we used a bow saw illusion I purchased from Café member Zendor The Great, and sawed one of the DJ's in half. I was told that for every dollar donated they can buy 6 pounds of food with it. They always raise a lot of food and money for the food bank.
Bob.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
At the checkstands at our local Albertson's they have cards for Food for All: the denominations are $1, $3, and $5.

Every time we shop we donate $10: we have them scan a single $5 card twice, then pop it back on the rack (why waste trees?). It's not a lot, but if everyone did a little bit, it would help tremendously.

Good luck, Santa! I was on unemployment as well, but fortunately (like Cliffg37), got some work (though not full-time, yet) just about the time my unemployment benefits ran out. Any idea how long till the extension kicks in? (I know: who can tell with government bureaucracy?)
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Hey Santa. Great post.

All the best in the turnaround.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
From what I inderstand the Feds offer 99 weeks of unemployment. My problem is I'm a very qualified logistician who made very good money before and am over whatever age is acceptable to employers. I tell 'em not to worry about the pay, not to worry about the position, just gimme a job where I won't fall off something.

I appreciate the support.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
With all the extensions, I had unemployment for 11 months. I was on my last check when Wal*Mart offered me employment. I was 48 then, a photo/digital-typesetter with 20 years experience with various types of equipment. Nobody was jumping through loops to hire me either.

Aiming good thoughts your way, Santa. Hope you work your way out of this without ending up at Wally-world. (Or Target, K-mart, et. al.)
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
It goes without saying Santa, that I wish you all the best.

We went through a stage here a few years ago where people over 40 found it hard to get employment. 20 year olds get the same wages as 50 year olds but 50 year olds are more experienced and better trained to the rigours of a work place, Still employers didn't want them. The government provided training for the mature unemployed who were not up to speed with computers and even more importantly paid for advertisements promoting the advantages of older workers. There was an immediate turn around - sometimes society can be collectively dumb - it needs the obvious spelt out to it.

We also have a far more comprehensive social security system than the US - it enjoys bipartisan support and ensures those unemployed through no fault of their own do not have to worry where their next meal is coming from. I think it's disgraceful when people have worked all their lives and paid their taxes but get no assistance when they fall on hard times.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Support local charities (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL