The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Apology to Lefler... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Run Rabbit Run
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Run Rabbit Run
I hate su-tables. Am I alone? Over the years there have been numerous suitcase tables marketed, and I am always amazed to find so many kids entertainers using them. The big disadvantage is that you need to bend down to access the bottom level. But more than that, they simply look "proppy". They look like a prop from a magic store, and that is exactly what they are. There are so many more fun options that can be used that would make you look less like a "hack" even if you are one.
jiayi
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
313 Posts

Profile of jiayi
What are the "fun options" that can contain all of your props in one case, easy to transport and makes you look like a professional magician? I think when a client hires a magician, they will expect to see you bring something that their can't find in the general stores.
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Wow, I totally disagree. I think the sub-tables makes the user look like a professional entertainer.

What are these more fun option you mention?
Loual4
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
670 Posts

Profile of Loual4
Not only do they make you look professional, they are great to put things away rapidly, in an orderly way, and close up quickly so that after the show, if you are talking to the client, the kids can not get into your things. Rapidity, usefull during the show, keep things relatively organized... I love those tables...
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
I don't think mine looks like a magic store prop at all. I think mine looks more like the kind of box/case that just about any variety of entertainer might use to carry things like audio equipment, lighting or in my case magic props. In fact, I think it is a bit magicical that it opens up into a table and isn't simply just a box.

I think I'll keep mine.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
I just bought one from Joe Lefler and I love it. As for putting things away at the end of a show, that's absolutely correct...you need to put it away quickly ....check out the thread in the tubes forum where one guy said a kid stole his Strat o spheres base at one of his performances. I can't imagine not using one a case/table. I guess if you're so inclined you can make one, but you have to have SOMETHING to put your stuff in and transport it. I like Joe's despite the high price. But then most of the good stuff in magic is high priced to begin with. OK, someone will flame me now telling me a deck of cards is cheap. But you get my gist. Best, Bob
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
The original Jack Hughes Su-Table was designed and built for a variety (vaudeville) artiste, not a magician. It was part of the act, the descending legs and back raising to form the top being a novelty opening. Equally, dropping the top and the legs going back into the case for the walk off brought applause.

As a magician's table it was successful because the top was high and the inner bottom also high off the floor, no bending or stooping.

As a children's entertainer table it had its drawbacks. It needed to be lower to the ground like a Roll On table although those tend to be too high for children. Why? Because the top needed to be lower so a child could see and handle a prop on the table during the show. They may need to take something off or put it back or maybe stand there and turn a handle or whatever. Too high and a small child can't do this without straining. Doesn't look good.

A Su-Table is ideal when the legs are not employed and many of us in the UK work a Su-Table without the legs. The top size is fine and the overall table size suits most UK living rooms without dominating. A great many UK parties are still held at home.

These tables do not have sufficient room inside for all the props you are likely to use during a one hour show which is standard here. Often you might wish to conceal some larger item behind the table and being close to the floor this is possible.

I agree about the need to bend but in a domestic situation this should not cause problems. In any event, store props higher and place used props lower.

These types of table allow good decorative personalisation, hold a good load, open fast and close equally easily and are easy to carry in and out.

Just make certain you have a good commercial artist to decorate it, make the design distinctive and personal to you - avoid those cheap and nasty stick-on cartoon graphics - and cover it, ensuring it is properly protected in transit. If it does take a knock, especially on edges and corners, keep a supply of matching touch-in paint to maintain condition.

There is much to be said for using automotive paint as the base paint in one of the sold standard colours. Matching touch-in wands are then always available from a motorist's store. If you are having the table custom built insist they use birch ply as it is strong, lightweight, forgiving of light knocks and provides the finest surface finish for automotive paint.
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
Run Rabbit Run
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

People have asked me for better fun options. Why not try a suitcase on a waiter's stand, and a laundry hamper to dump the props if necessary? May not sound much, but it all depends on the suitcase you use, and the laundry hamper you choose.

Tony has some good thoughts. The first table I bought was from Jack Hughes, and was called a "double-decker table". It was green, and on two levels.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Run rabbit run
The case depends on the amount of props that you need, but I must disagree with the waiters stand. Danny Hustle uses an antique wooden kitchen chair that has colapsible legs, and I use a jump stool. I like these type of props because they are kinda vaudvillian, yet serve a useful purpose. I would never use a hamper, because it is just useless luggage.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Run Rabbit Run
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Al......as with everything there are waiter's stands and waiter's stands just like there are laundry hamper's and laundry hampers. There are also jumping stools and jumping stools. At least I am glad to see you are thinking a little out of the box. Incidently, there are also boxes and boxes. RRR
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
RRR
I am an expert on jump stools, and I have had three different types over the years.

The aluminum one that jumps streight up.

The alminum one that twists when it jumps.

The one I have now which is wood, has long lasting rubber bands. (availible at Stevens magic)

I even modified the first one with solid rubber bungi cords that shot up like a rocket, and I had to catch it on the way up before it made a mark on the 9 foot ceiling. LOL
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
zimsalabim
View Profile
Special user
Orlando Floirda USA
520 Posts

Profile of zimsalabim
I find the use of the word "Hack" rather interesting here. I have been using a Lefler table for many years and have had many repeat bookings year after year using one I am not sure how using a suitcase table makes one look like a "HACK". Mine is decorated in fact with a birthday banner or whatever is appropriate for the party I am doing. You have your opinion and I respect that but I would never use the word "hack" in reference to another performer regardless of what props he uses.
Joe Zimmer

"The Second Greatest Magician in the World"

Who is the Greatest? Everybody else! Borrowed with respect from the late Great Eddie Fechter Owner of the Forks Hotel

Zimsalabim

Orlando Florida
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I love my Lefler Tables. One trip in and one trip out. Everything is self-contained and ready to perform five minutes after walking through the door. Five minutes after the show, I'm ready to go.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I like them. I think they look fine. I don't use one now. I just use a rolling file case and a table on a tripod.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
Props may come and go but a table comes to live with you. None are ever perfect but when you find the one which suits, you learn to live with its limitations. And most people defend their choice.

You may look at someone else's table which overcomes the shortcomings of yours but has its own little drawbacks and you will convince yourself yours is the better.

Just as the other person couldn't live with yours.

In the end tables are like props and effects. What turns out to work well for one person doesn't sit comfortably with another.

It's what makes good pros able to work the same audiences successfully though not by choice on the same day. It's what keeps us all working.
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
Magic Arty
View Profile
Elite user
metro Atlanta
443 Posts

Profile of Magic Arty
I have so many different tables, cases, stands etc. All of them serve different purposes for different needs. I like my lefler table, very useful, and professional.
atsmagic
Arthur Atsma

Feeling real happy now!
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
I currently use an open-top table, like Duane Laflin's. I have tops that an assistant can bring out. I also use a black topped table to hold other props like a colouring illusion and bits for dressing up. I really feel awkward bending out of sight of my audience. I'd rather everything was straight to hand.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
CarlEJones
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, Texas
461 Posts

Profile of CarlEJones
I use several different types of tables and my Lefler table is one of my favorites.
THANK YOU for helping us carry on our laughter ministry in hospitals to kids of ALL ages. Our visits are ALWAYS free. We NEED & DEEPLY appreciate your gifts of magic so that we can do what we do. Please PM me with questions or, for a faster reply, in most cases please text or call 214-578-1601

https://youtu.be/2DbAdXKIf-A
https://youtu.be/sXXXyk6LJgE
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
Quote:
On 2010-06-10 17:15, Run Rabbit Run wrote:
People have asked me for better fun options. Why not try a suitcase on a waiter's stand, and a laundry hamper to dump the props if necessary?

Oh yes, that looks much more professional and just screams fun!
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
zimsalabim
View Profile
Special user
Orlando Floirda USA
520 Posts

Profile of zimsalabim
HA @ NEALE
Joe Zimmer

"The Second Greatest Magician in the World"

Who is the Greatest? Everybody else! Borrowed with respect from the late Great Eddie Fechter Owner of the Forks Hotel

Zimsalabim

Orlando Florida
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Apology to Lefler... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL