The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Time to be Awesome 22 – Doc Dixon discusses comedy and magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dave1216
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of Dave1216
After a brief hiatus (during which my wife gave birth to twin baby boys), TIME TO BE AWESOME is back and this week we talk about comedy and magic with an expert on the subject, Doc Dixon.

Listen to Doc discuss some of the finer points when interjecting humor into your magic and doing so in a respectful way to your audience.

Go to http://www.timetobeawesome.com to watch the interview with Doc.

In the next couple of weeks, we will be launching interviews with Jon Allen, Shawn Farquhar, Oscar Munoz, and a behind the scenes look at our first DVD release, “Time to be Awesome presents THE MAGIC OF DAVID CORSARO.”

Thank you
David Corsaro
My new DVD ("The magic of David Corsaro") is now available from your favorite dealer. Watch the DVD that Daryl, Jon Allen, Shawn Farquhar, Boris Wild, Marc DeSouza, Asi Wind and Paul Green ALL ENDORSE.

Visit www.timetobeawesome.com to watch the new weekly Video Blog for magicians, "Time to be awesome."
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
In regard to your question about obscure humorous references, you (and Doc) should listen to Tom Lehrer's An Evening Wasted with Tom Lehrer, paying particular attention to his monologue before the song, We Will All Go Together When We Go. He's discussing a friend of his - Hen3ry (the "3" is silent) - who wrote a book about a young necropheliac who finally achieves his boyhood ambition by becoming coroner. This line gets a couple of titters from the audience, but the follow-up - The rest of you can look it up when you get home - gets roars. If Doc were to use a line such as that following an obscure humorous reference, he'd get the same reaction.
Doc Dixon
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania, USA
654 Posts

Profile of Doc Dixon
Quote:
On 2010-06-10 17:29, S2000magician wrote:
In regard to your question about obscure humorous references, you (and Doc) should listen to Tom Lehrer's An Evening Wasted with Tom Lehrer, paying particular attention to his monologue before the song, We Will All Go Together When We Go. He's discussing a friend of his - Hen3ry (the "3" is silent) - who wrote a book about a young necropheliac who finally achieves his boyhood ambition by becoming coroner. This line gets a couple of titters from the audience, but the follow-up - The rest of you can look it up when you get home - gets roars. If Doc were to use a line such as that following an obscure humorous reference, he'd get the same reaction.

I'm not sure if I would use that line. If it's truly an obscure reference that only a small portion of the audience gets, I think a line like that insults the rest of the audience and puts up walls between them and the performer. On the other hand, if the line is only pseudo-obscure, that line would, as you wrote, be very funny.

Respectfully,

Doc

PS: David, thanks again for having me on your show. It was a lot of fun.
“For centuries we’ve said playing cards – even a single playing card – could reveal a person’s innermost thoughts.
Now you can prove it!”
See http://www.dixonmagic.com/page5/page5.html
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1712 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Hi Doc,

I just watched your interview. You are still one hell of a funny guy! David's questions did seem to detract somewhat from the plugging of your excellent books ;-) Actually, it was a really good interview and I totally agree with you about obscure references and the impact on individuals.

In close-up I do this a lot. I know some people think that ou are isolating the vast majority of the audience when one person laughs at something. The way I see it is that I have made a personal (non-physical) connection with one person. That's so important as it turns you into a more personal human being and the person feel special because they have shared an in-joke with the performer. I also know that later on, someone else will get another reference and then it will be their turn.

I sometimes use two words as a 'magic spell' and if someone laughs or raises their eyebrows then they either know latin or are in the medical field. If nobody realises what I just said, I have a little in-joke just for me.

Hope to catch up with you in the US soon. If not, we'll always have Disneyland.

Jon
Paragon 3D - the most incredible Card to Clear Box you will ever own. Be fooled here: http://youtu.be/GQxRZ1OGkUo
The Silent Treatment - Digital Edition: this iconic routine just got upgraded! Watch - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=phTDUhX0m9o
Order the bar-raising DVD set 'Connection' at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
Mark Zacharia
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Mark Zacharia
As the new product reviewer for the Magic Menu and as a worker, I get the opportunity to try a lot of new material. Everyone should know about Dave Corsaro's new DVD, "The Magic of David Corsaro." This is doable, real-world material that will set you apart from other magicians.

See the trailer at http://www.davidcorsaro.com/page.php?id=11.

"Getting To Know You" is one of Dave's effects that I use the most. Here, the magician takes out a deck of cards and asks the spectator a series of very funny random questions generated by your own imagination and sense of humor. Each answer is spelled out, one card for each letter. Despite the large range of possible answers, the last answer ends on a card with the spectator's name on it. The cards are examinable and this is as memorable as it gets.

"Baby Gag" is David’s take on the standard “Baby Gag” effect, which (about 50% of the time) gives you the chance to turn this quick joke into a miracle.

"Mallrats" is among the biggest hits at David's lectures. A spectator takes an imaginary journey around a mall directory and the magician is able to correctly predict at what store the spectator will stop. This can be repeated with a different outcome.

"Can I Call You Sometime" is the one that got David noticed at Fechter's. A spectator selects a phone number from 25 different girls' numbers. Spectator shuffles the cards in a face up/face down condition. The spectator spreads the deck and the only cards face up match the phone number selected by the spectator.

Here is what some of the best magicians working today have to say about the material on "The Magic of David Corsaro":

"The biggest compliment I can give - and it happens to be 100% true - is that David's material is so well thought out and complete, that there were several items I would be thrilled to immediately add to my own personal repertoire." -- Daryl

"The magic of David Corsaro is clever and highly entertaining. It is made for real people in real conditions. One of the effects will go straight to my repertoire. I am sure you will find one for you too!" – Boris Wild

"They are fantastic and I encourage any magicians looking for some great new commercial material to add to their repertoire to purchase a copy." – Marc DeSouza

"I enjoyed your material and the thinking behind the effects. Well done." – Larry Becker

"David’s routine, 'Getting to Know You', is well structured and a stunner! This is a great trick for any strolling magicians wanting to connect with an audience. The routine really allows the performer to make the spectator a star and also allows the audience to see that the performer is concerned with entertaining the group. – Paul Green (“Live at the jailhouse”)

"Just the concept of David’s trick 'Can I Call You Sometime' is worth the price of the whole DVD". – Asi Wind

“’Getting to Know You’ is one of the most commercial card routines I have seen in a long time. As with Michelle Pfeiffer, I fell I love with it at first sight – Jon Allen

"David Corsaro presented 'Mallrats' - one of the best interactive tricks I have seen, which successfully eliminates the problems I have with most of these effects." -- Robin Dawes

David is makng the DVD available as of the 14th, but go to see the trailer now at http://www.davidcorsaro.com/page.php?id=11 to make the decision early to get this on your shelf.

Rarely do you find a DVD with so much practical material. Right now it's available strictly through David's site: after the 14th it will be even more midely available.

Paypal accepted at: davidcorsaro@yahoo.com

Go there now!
Mark Zacharia
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Time to be Awesome 22 – Doc Dixon discusses comedy and magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.38 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL