The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What color backdrop is the best? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
After much consideration, I've realised the obvious answer - your backdrop should be a mirror, so that folks can see that there's nothing going on behind you.
:)
TheMagicianGuide
View Profile
New user
Wheat Ridge Colorado
90 Posts

Profile of TheMagicianGuide
Black can be overdone . . . experiment with colors . . . you probably have to look at it the most, so make sure you like it first. . . have you tried a bright yellow or Gold?
TheMagicianGuide.com - National Magician Directory.

The Magician Guide is part of Kids Party Resource network of childrens entertainers and event rentals.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
Iam looking for a lightweight material to hang on stands. I am in uk.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I went to a high school graduation last night. It was at a football stadium, in front of the goal posts they had a giant back drop. It was 10' high, and 40' wide. It worked great because from the stands it was hard to pick out the speakers, and graduates. That being said what service would a back drop povide at a childrens, or adults living room house party? It sure looks to me to be a very little bang for your buck, and one more clumsy trip from your car, but I'm a lazy old man that belives in only bringing the essentials.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
If you saw the reactions I get when I open my Jeff Jones backdrop and it transforms a blank wall or fireplace into a magic stage you'd understand, Al. It's just one more piece of going that extra mile to transform a client's special day into a unique memory. As for burden, I roll my Lefler Table, the backdrop and my balloon bag in one easy compact trip. A backdrop can make a difference.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Chris Capstone
View Profile
Regular user
Tulsa, OK
107 Posts

Profile of Chris Capstone
Quote:
On 2010-06-19 08:24, Al Angello wrote:
I went to a high school graduation last night. It was at a football stadium, in front of the goal posts they had a giant back drop. It was 10' high, and 40' wide. It worked great because from the stands it was hard to pick out the speakers, and graduates. That being said what service would a back drop povide at a childrens, or adults living room house party? It sure looks to me to be a very little bang for your buck, and one more clumsy trip from your car, but I'm a lazy old man that belives in only bringing the essentials.

Although the post that started this thread was obviously typed with tongue in cheek, using a backdrop at birthday parties, libraries, childcare centers, etc... can add to the entertainment value of your show. Not because it looks fancy or "professional." I've seen more than my share of people with a fancy backdrop and a lousy show.

The main reason for a backdrop is to eliminate any visual clutter behind the performer. If you're performing in front of a busy bulletin board in a classroom or a wall covered with posters at a library, the ability of your audience (particularly kids) to visually focus on what you're doing will be diminished.

My show includes card manipulations, billiard balls and other effects that require the audience to be a little more visually focused in order to appreciate the magic. These kinds of effects would definitely be diminished if performed with visual clutter in the background. I have actually tested the difference in responses under real world conditions and I'm completely convinced by my experience that this is true for my show.

As for the extra trip, I make one trip with my backdrop. The curtain is inside my trunk and provides padding for props inside. I use a 100 poly crushed velour curtain so I don't have to worry about wrinkles and the crushed fabric gives a nice contrasting texture. My frame is a lightweight aluminum photo backdrop frame with two tripod uprights and a three piece telescoping rod. It came with a very rugged nylon case and I strap it to outside of my trunk. The trunk goes on a lightweight folding dolly. One trip, and after years of doing it I can set it up in under 4 minutes, in fact the show is ready in under 8 minutes from the time I enter the room.

But of course a backdrop won't make a poor show better no matter how fancy or expensive it is, unless your show consists entirely of invisible thread effects done silently to royalty-free music played on a Show Tech and both your costume and backdrop are made of multi-colored mylar. For as Master Yoda has said to me many times: "Only then a truly great magician you will be!"
Chris Capstone
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

The Jef Jones backdrops take less than a minute to set. For me, apart from creating a "theater" feel in almost ANY indoor venue, they ensure that photos and videos taken during the show will be MUCH better.
In the top left of my home page at http://www.pottythepirate.com you can see a photo taken by one of the parents of my Flying Carpet. The backdrop effortlessly provides a great background, instead of the usual clutter of tables, chairs, books, TVs, etc.
under6
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of under6
I recently started using a Jeff Jones backdrop & love hearing the oohs and ahs from the kids - it definitely builds excitement. Chris, what lightweight folding dolly do you use? I have an aluminum hand truck & it is too big/clumsy to use in many places.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I'm sorry guys the last four posts did not give me one good reason to use such a device. The only thing that I have been able to gather from those posts is that it is a traditional prop. So is the opra cape, the rabbit out of the hat, the doves from your tuxedo. I am not a traditional magician, and to convince me that I need a back drop you'll need more than tradition to convince me.

SORRY
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
The parent have said on many occasions, its like having a theater in the living room. The kids say he is a real magician because I play that character in their mini-theater.

Its like the magician who uses music effectively and one who does not. The backdrop sets up fast, and gives a great 1st impression. Jeff's Backdrop is a good investment for any living room children entertainer. (Stage too!)
Dennis Michael
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Al, think of it this way. It is a service to the customer. Say you are doing a show in New Jersey for a made man. You are not really good but you have a back drop (note this is not about Dennis he just happens to be in Jersey). The customer can wack you and then roll you up in the back drop and dump you in a swamp or put you into the foundation of a building. The kids would love it.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
AHA
I see why you picked New Jersey.

Perhaps I'm not explaining myself properly. I love to do family shows in the round, because all of my tricks are angle proof, they love to challenge me, and I love to fool those who insist on sitting behind me. I do not do childrens shows in the round, because the little ones like to sneak up behind me and steal my props, so I keep the little suckers in front of me at all times so I can keep an eye on them.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Al -

I heard a wild theory that using a backdrop prevents kids from stealing your juggling props. Smile

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Donald
You are getting a lot closer to a good reason for me to invest in a back drop, but 3 or 4 year olds have no shame, and they will interupt your show to ask if they can JUST HOLD one of your $40 silicon balls.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Unfair! I not only can't juggle I don't have any balls!
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I have to admit a nice little backdrop does look nice but other than that it serves no purpose unless you are a thread guy or one of the routines that need one (read black art)
Chris Capstone
View Profile
Regular user
Tulsa, OK
107 Posts

Profile of Chris Capstone
Quote:
On 2010-06-19 15:14, under6 wrote:
I recently started using a Jeff Jones backdrop & love hearing the oohs and ahs from the kids - it definitely builds excitement. Chris, what lightweight folding dolly do you use? I have an aluminum hand truck & it is too big/clumsy to use in many places.

Hi under6,
Here's a link to the folding dolly I use:

http://www.handtrucks.com/hand-trucks/co......uck1.cfm

As you can see from the additional photos it folds up very small.
Chris Capstone
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Al, of course, if you don't want a backdrop, don't use one. It's "traditional" in photography to ensure an uncluttered backround, unless the clutter is an essential part of the photo. But there's no photography police to enforce this unwritten rule.
Likewise with shows and cabaret acts, it's "traditional" to have a backdrop, but again, there is no one enforcing such a rule, especially if it's YOUR show.
And if you perform surrounded, then of course, you most likely don't want a backdrop. I still prefer to face my audience than to have my back to 60% of them at any time. I find it hard to "fool" people who can't see what I'm doing, but it's "Horses for courses."
:)
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Doug
When I show up at a party I have no way of predicting what the arrangement will be. Some times it is on the patio, or with the kids in the living room in front of me, and the adults in the kitchen behind me. I've performed under a tree (with ankle deep grass), in a low ceiling basement, by the pool, and under a chandeleer. I do not usually work in the round, but it happens. As long as they are going to give me a pay check at the end of my show I will do exactly what they want, and if grand mom wants to stand behind me with a flash camera during my show it is fine with me, because I am there for about 60 minutes, and get paid a lot of money to make the kiddies laugh.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Al, that sounds like many of my shows too. I just had a show in a sloping garden, outdoors you can forget the backdrops! I thought you meant that most of your shows were "in the round". In the UK, most parties with more than a handful of kids are held in halls (as they can be VERY cheap to hire, from as little as £15 for 3 hours).
Of course, if you're in a nice hall, there's no reason not to use a backdrop - and really, it would be difficult if you wanted to perform in the round.
This all comes down to personal preference. I do think that a backdrop can help to create a professional look. In my area, with nearly 500 "entertainers" to compete with (most of them with a remarkable lack of experience, but most parents don't know that), anything which sets your show apart is a good thing.
But I do enjoy seeing the photos that moms and dads take: without even realising it, they have a "perfect" image before them, because I have provided a nice backdrop. It's mainly a service to the customers. Of course, when I'm mid-show, it makes no difference to me if there's a backdrop or not!
Doug Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What color backdrop is the best? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL