The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Were you terrible when you started out? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Quote:
On 2010-07-02 13:37, magicgeorge wrote:
Seadog after a conversation with Harris on these very boards, I suggested mishearing abracadbra as Barrack Obama.

I tried it and it's pretty funny. I usually follow the "have a banana" one with it. "Barrack Obama? That's very topical"

I'll try that, thanks! I really do think that one or two of these in a show are funny. Could just be me (well, obviously noy JUST me), but I like that.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Nothing wrong with that Pitts, if you play it right, and it sounds like you do.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Quote:
On 2010-07-02 16:05, Mr. Pitts wrote:
I have to admit, painful as it is, I do have one pun that I use in my act. I use it after I'm well into the show because it works much better after they are already laughing at the good material. I always hope for forgiveness, because I just can't help myself, I have to use it. It's when I get out my rola bola during my "Fabulous Flying Babinis" routine. I get out the cylinder first and with great circusy ceremony I place it on the ground. Then I get out the board and I show it and say "Well, I'm having fun, but my friend is a little board." I pause, milk it a little, slap my knee at my own cleverness, and then proceed to the bit.

Now that's a pun. A terrible, terrible pun. So bad that I can't resist it, like an inappropriate girlfriend.

See, I think that's funny to.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1058 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
There's usually one person in the audience that thinks it's hilarious. I always say "that was just for you ma'am"

.. a little board... whoooo.. now that's comedy.

I'm hilarious.

Posted: Jul 2, 2010 8:12pm
If you like it you're certainly welcome to use it as long as you promise not to give me credit for it.
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

From a technical perspective I think you have a pun followed by a kicker.
It's interesting that "the kicker" is probably what makes you look like a pro; not the pun itself.

Maybe you don't get to use the kicker each time but it's there waiting in the wings.

I have a similar situation in my opener. I make a bad joke (one I actually heard a spectator say during my opener one time) that I pretend is funny and I have a follow-up line right afterwards when the laughs don't come. THEN I get a big laugh.

Great stuff Pitts.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
My worse pun type statement is when I would do older kid shows. I'd ask if any of them liked 50-cent the rapper (I'll admit I wouldn't recognize that guy or his music but kids like him), some will say yes typically. I'll then say "He's only half as good as BUCK Owens". The older folks love it if they are quick and the kids just stare.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I also do the do a terrible pun on purpose thing.

Kimmo does it in his card routine that's on youtube, too.

I ad-lib what was IMNSHO a pretty darned fine pun last week.

I was making a balloon mouse and when I got to the end it started going down.
"Name the opera. Deflate-a-mouse."
Of course, noone got it apart from me but I did it again (on purpose this time!) at an adult gig and it got a big laugh.

George
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I will NEVER forget my first payed show a few decades ago. I was a nervous wreck! My hands were shaking terribly, and one of the first effects I attempted was one I had purchased from Tannen's where you balance a glass of water on a glass rod and then turn the entire thing upside down..or something like that. Anyway, my hands were shaking so badly that I dropped it...

Not exactly the best first effect for a budding young magician...and not a very propitious start...
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Wow Doug
You made me look "PROPITIOUS" up. I never heard that word used EVER. It must be a protestant word, because they never used that one in my church. Have a good holiday buddie.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Everyone makes mistakes. I saw the World Greatest Magic tour and Mac King was the only performer to come across clean...heck, they were assembling the appearing car one guy did in the lawn where people were in line to get in!
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Quote:
On 2010-07-03 09:24, magicgeorge wrote:

Kimmo does it in his card routine that's on youtube, too.

I ad-lib what was IMNSHO a pretty darned fine pun last week.

I was making a balloon mouse and when I got to the end it started going down.
"Name the opera. Deflate-a-mouse."
Of course, noone got it apart from me but I did it again (on purpose this time!) at an adult gig and it got a big laugh.

George

Now, George, you have really come up with a very fine pun there! See, puns CAN be quite brilliant.....Would you mind terribly if I use that?
Doug Smile
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2010-07-03 14:55, Al Angello wrote:
Wow Doug
You made me look "PROPITIOUS" up. I never heard that word used EVER. It must be a protestant word, because they never used that one in my church. Have a good holiday buddie.

There are religious connotations to the word, but it was the other definitions that I had in mind.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Doug
Usually it is the English magicians who use words that I have to look up. My English friends Tony, James, Mark, Jimmy, Roger, and Kimmo keep me constantly going to google.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Quote:
Seadog after a conversation with Harris on these very boards, I suggested mishearing abracadbra as Barrack Obama.

I tried it and it's pretty funny. I usually follow the "have a banana" one with it. "Barrack Obama? That's very topical"

Wouldn't that be tropical?

Quote:

...and if you say "well at least it will stop my camel drinking all the custard" it's surrealism

Now that's funny! Smile Probably not for the kids audience, but I laughed!
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2010-07-03 18:04, Al Angello wrote:
Doug
Usually it is the English magicians who use words that I have to look up. My English friends Tony, James, Mark, Jimmy, Roger, and Kimmo keep me constantly going to google.

Most times I don't do it on purpose. I don't even try. It just slips and I guess I assume most people are familiar with certain words. Then I get stunned when they don't.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Quote:
On 2010-07-03 09:24, magicgeorge wrote:
George

..why not? A good pun is it's own re-word.
:)
totoybbb
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of totoybbb
I went straight to my room after a blown trick... Whew! That was a long time ago...
Perception... It results to different things even in very same conditions...
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1143 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
Quote:

About 2 years ago, I used the havabananna line and a girl said "Hannah Montanna?" It got a great laugh, and I've been using that as a follow-up ever since. Now that her show is in it's final season, the topical nature of that line will diminish. Perhaps the Barrack line would work . . . Nah, I think I'll leave that one alone.
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

My shows have gone well since the beginning too fogel, but looking back I still think I was terrible. Kids shows have low expectations. Unless a magician is a complete dufus, seems to me that most kids shows will always go well.

Beginners do a series of store-bought tricks with mostly store-bought patter, one after the other until done, making nice with the kids, collect their check, and then leave proud of themselves at how clever they are. To me that's not a good show. How were your shows different than that, back then?

Given that your shows were great from the start, how much better are YOU now than you were 30 years ago? What's changed? What have you realized you weren't doing way back then? What features did you show NOT have that it has now? How long did it take before you realized what was missing?

Many magicians have an engaging personality out of the box but that does not change the fact that all of them (unless they come from an acting/theater/writing/drama/comedy background) are ignorant of theater, performing, and all the little things that make a show really great.

I look forward to hearing more from you.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
When doing a show for kids I use the script as an anchor. I am constantly watching the kids for reactions and that is what dictates the direction or focus of the show at that moment. What works for one group won't for another, if you cannot see it immediately and know how to work with it then you are in trouble. If you go out there and you are going to do A then B then C then D and so forth and you think you are on your game you are mistaken. The fun part is the ones who cannot hang are the ones who cannot see how they cannot hang.

I fully agree that having shows is not an indication of how good or bad you are. I watched the guy in my old area considered the top performer by himself and, well, I guess by himself and he seems to run the most ads and also is one of the very few who does it full time rather than work another job as well. I watched his show and there was no there there. The kids watched, were not overly into the show, they were just present. He spent too much time talking about how the attendees should tell their parents to hire him, made a completely inappropriate joke which got the father of the birthday girls attention (note, this magician told the father he had to get to another show but he would just speed because those 'stupid cops' couldn't catch him, the father was a California Highway Patrol), and then did that stupid chair suspension for that world famous 'photo op' that was promised in the ad. Aweful show. He is working all the time thanks to a huge population and not a lot of performers relative to that population. The other top performer, a clown not a magician, is downright hostile toward kids. He's been doing his show full time for about 40 years.

Well, it is good to see someone with Fogels background and it goes without saying Frank is a good dude.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Were you terrible when you started out? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL