The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The June 2010 entrée: Tom Stone » » Keith Johnstone's influence » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3147 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Tom, I read in a different question that you consider Keith Johnstone to be an influence on you. Would you be able to elaborate upon that at all, as well as what you think about improv theater and its potential for overlap (and/or contrast) with magic?

I've been trying to move away from scripted performances in my close-up work, so this general area of theater is really interesting to me. Obviously it's difficult to abandon scripts altogether, but I personally love those moments of deviation.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
TStone
View Profile
V.I.P.
Stockholm, Sweden
781 Posts

Profile of TStone
Fortunately, my first exposure to improv theater was seeing a very good group perform. I've since seen a lot of really horrible improv theater as well, so the genre is not automatically equivalent with greatness.

Keith Johnstone's first book "Impro" was an interesting read, but it didn't do much for my magic.
But then, a few years later, I found his second book Impro for Storytellers, and wow!!! I consider that book to be invaluable, and should be considered required reading, for all performance work that involves interactive communication.

In short, Johnstone's second book teaches you how to recognize even small hints of dramatic elements that naturally occurs during an improvised dialogue, and gives you a truckload of techniques, gambits and tools to, on the spot, weave those dramatic elements into a sound story structure.
Very useful, especially for magicians, as we often break the fourth wall and engages in direct communication with the audience.
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3147 Posts

Tom,

Before I continue with more questions, just a quick dumb one. Are you talking about being able to change your script on the spot to deal with an offer someone gives us, or are you talking about being able to change the magic itself?
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
TStone
View Profile
V.I.P.
Stockholm, Sweden
781 Posts

Profile of TStone
The former; to weave the offer into your work.
However, there has been occations when I've done the latter as well, but that's more rare.
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3147 Posts

Ah ok. Yeah, I've been able to work random byplay into scripts for magic, but it's been more difficult to try to make the magic itself improvised. I suppose the best one can usually do is goad a spectator into making an offer you're already prepared to handle.

Thanks, Tom.
TStone
View Profile
V.I.P.
Stockholm, Sweden
781 Posts

Profile of TStone
Well, if you are "jazzing", for example with a memdeck, then there's a good chance to let the offer guide the direction of the effects.
On stage, it's trickier...
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3147 Posts

Right. I'm guessing it would almost have to be close-up, since that way you don't have to risk a secondary audience getting bored because they don't like way the assistant is taking the course of events.

Interesting that you'd suggest a memdeck, though. Is it just because it puts you that far ahead of the audience? Or are you thinking the effects possible with it are more conducive to jazzing?
TStone
View Profile
V.I.P.
Stockholm, Sweden
781 Posts

Profile of TStone
Quote:
On 2010-06-13 14:09, Andrew Musgrave wrote:
Right. I'm guessing it would almost have to be close-up, since that way you don't have to risk a secondary audience getting bored because they don't like way the assistant is taking the course of events.

In part, yes - but also, if you're standing there with two silks and a dye-tube, the available options for improvised handling is somewhat limited. It's not impossible though, just tricky.
Quote:
Interesting that you'd suggest a memdeck, though. Is it just because it puts you that far ahead of the audience? Or are you thinking the effects possible with it are more conducive to jazzing?

Both. Smile
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5862 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Hey Tom,

It's been a while.

I was fortunate to study improv theater with Keith Johnstone as a director. What a stunning experience that was. Also one of the best improv groups, True Fiction Magazine, is based in SF. Great Improv theater is a miracle to behold.

All magicians should witness it at the very least, and study it at the very best. Improv provides such wonderful insight into what is possible in live interactive theater.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5862 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
I'm going to throw this down. I'm just watching the Tony Awards. Scarlet Johansson's acceptance speech hilights the elements which create live theater. ALL live theater performers should look for the wisdom in her words. They closely echo Tom Stone's thoughts on the subject.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The June 2010 entrée: Tom Stone » » Keith Johnstone's influence » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL