The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » Talk about GTFM . . . (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2695 Posts

Profile of sethb
I've now received two return invites from Xmas Bazaars that I worked last year, which is nice. But -- they want me to send in my spot fee before July 1st -- for a show that isn't happening until November!

I could maybe see this if we were talking about a huge state fair or something. But an Xmas Bazaar? I'll send them in, but it takes a bit of the Xmas glow off of things, at least in my opinion! SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
I would gift wrap the check with a note " Not to be open till Christmas" with a posted dated check for the date of the envent.

Don
Jon-O the Great
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Jon-O the Great
You're ALWAYS on top of things, Don! ;-) Great idea. By the way, saw David Walker and Brian yesterday at the gun show in Dallas. David mentioned he's looking for an additional YOUNG guy he can train to work with him at some State fairs. When he looked at me, he emphasized YOUNG! ;-)

Jon
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2695 Posts

Profile of sethb
Somebody is going to have a great opportunity to learn from the Master.

And Jon -- we're not getting older, we're getting better! Smile SETH
Jon-O the Great
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-06-14 09:26, sethb wrote:...And Jon -- we're not getting older, we're getting better! Smile SETH

Boy, do I have YOU fooled! Smile

By the way, Brian is now selling cards for $7. I didn't know it until near the end of the show. Brian says I'm no competition anyway, so they never mentioned it to me. He does the "Larceny" trick as part of his demo, so it's longer. Looks like I'm REALLY gonna have to start selling worms now.

Jon
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
Hello Jon:

In my book...competition in any form SUCKS. hahahaha

Jon, how is that hot weather working out down in Texas? Nothing but tornado watches and rain , plus some lovely wind for us up here. All in all its been a real crappy season weather wise so far this year.

Hope your season is going well .

ROD
sideshowsam
View Profile
New user
I see you staring at my
86 Posts

Profile of sideshowsam
Quote:
On 2010-06-15 09:15, Rod Pringle wrote:
Hello Jon:

In my book...competition in any form SUCKS. hahahaha

Jon, how is that hot weather working out down in Texas? Nothing but tornado watches and rain , plus some lovely wind for us up here. All in all its been a real crappy season weather wise so far this year.

Hope your season is going well .

ROD

Competition only sucks if you're not on top of your game....
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
SIDESHOW SAM:

I was posting to Jon. Please don't comment on any more of my posts. Thank you

Rod Pringle
sideshowsam
View Profile
New user
I see you staring at my
86 Posts

Profile of sideshowsam
To everyone out there

I am making a general observation that if you go to a spot and set up say your t-shirt joint..it does suck when another t-shirt joint comes along, but hey if it was me it would make me want to have the BEST t-shirt joint out there so I could GTFM.

In Michigan we have Charter Schools and the competition they provide makes our public school system better - so competition in any venue whether it be pitching, t-shirts, schools or piano tuning is always a good thing and should serve to sharpen everyone out there.

Rod - this is a forum open to members - last time I checked I can post and comment where I see fit - take personal posts to the Private Message system....

./sam
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On 2010-06-12 20:19, sethb wrote:
they want me to send in my spot fee before July 1st -- for a show that isn't happening until November!

These shows generally have to pay their bills upfront, so they like to get their money as soon as they can. If it's a good show for you, I wouldn't worry about it.

-JoeJoe
Watch the Pilot Episode of my new TV Show:As Seen on TV: The JoeJoe Magic Show
Learn JoeJoe's secrets at Magic Joint dot com
Jon-O the Great
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-06-15 09:15, Rod Pringle wrote:...Jon, how is that hot weather working out down in Texas?

Actually, I have been doing shows outside TX for the past couple of weeks--OK computer show, Studebaker Int'l car show (Phoenix) and Kingman gun show. Finally did a gun show in Dallas last weekend, where I saw Brian and David.

Hot as the dickens in AZ and Big D. Fortunately, was inside all the time, except when I took pix of the Studebakers (I'm a Stude freak.) I may be doing an outside festival this weekend--too many gun shows, some not so good and 2 in Houston--and not many good fairs. And http://www.eventcrazy.com isn't helping much. Smile

Jon
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
Hi Jon:

I am seriously thinking of working indoors only from now on. The big thing with that for me is, NO TENT and NO WIND. I almost lost my tent two weeks ago in the wind. Been eyeing some fairs too, but space is really high.

Have a good season!

ROD
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2695 Posts

Profile of sethb
In my experience, when the weather is good, the outdoor shows are where the big money is. Nothing like a beautiful Spring or Fall day, with the smell of kettle corn and lemonade in the air, to get people in a good (spending!) mood. Plus, the magic pitch really seems to fit in well at these events, and people are willing to stop, watch and spend.

But when the weather doesn't cooperate, it can really stink and make life miserable for all concerned. I have seen some street festivals where it is so hot that people just don't have the energy to make the entire circuit, let alone stop and watch, enjoy and buy something. And it's no fun for the vendors, either!

The wind is another problem. I can work the cards and the worms up to about 10-15 mph. In fact, a little breeze is a good thing! But anything over that, the worms will not work properly and stuff starts flying around, it's not a good situation. And we won't even discuss rain . . . . This year has not been a good one in the weather department for me.

I always figured that pitching the tent was just part of the deal and came with the territory. Fortunately, I can pitch my tent by myself pretty easily. And I always stake and guy my tent and have not had a blowdown. (If you're not on grass, think four cinder blocks, about $10 at your local Home Depot). But no tent is strong enough to withstand really heavy gusts, no matter how well it's staked.

So I'm thinking indoors, too -- those Xmas fairs are good for that reason, even if they all want their table fees in June and you have to listen to Bing Crosby sing "White Christmas" about 300 times. SETH
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
Sideshow Sam:

Sorry about my post on June 15, you are right, this is a public forum and open to all, I was wrong, no hard feelings intended, just a bad day I guess, I totally apologize.

ROD
sideshowsam
View Profile
New user
I see you staring at my
86 Posts

Profile of sideshowsam
Rod,

no problem - have a great day today!

./sam
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
Thanks Sam!
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7170 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I thought I was gonna have to knock you two guys heads together. Smile
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » Talk about GTFM . . . (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL