The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » My concerns about the Masked Magician (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
mindguru
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of mindguru
The masked magician hasn't been popular for years and the truth is most people will forget the exposures.
Dr. Eamon
View Profile
Inner circle
--------eXtrementalism--------......IT'S ALL IN YOUR MIND.....
1282 Posts

Profile of Dr. Eamon
Quote:
On 2010-08-06 22:08, mindguru wrote:
The masked magician hasn't been popular for years and the truth is most people will forget the exposures.
I agree but it is a not good...
alpha alex
View Profile
Special user
774 Posts

Profile of alpha alex
Quote:
On 2010-06-14 19:43, Dannydoyle wrote:
12 or 15 years ago and still magicians have not learned? He did NOT get significant ratings.

12-15 years ago
and is still on re-runs here in mexico and I am talking about the old episodes..
so he is gotta have some ratings here

still that doesn't matter..
people really never remembers how he does his stuff nor trully comprehend what he does cause is really dull
Kuma
View Profile
New user
Sydney
51 Posts

Profile of Kuma
The series is back on again here in Sydney and I look at the tricks and think that it would just heighten your appreciation of seeing the effect live. Many of his larger illusions seem to be designed for TV only - sightlines at a live show would give a lot of them away.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
The MM Shows are getting a lot of viewings here in Malaysia...

Hmm... There really are no more "Magic Secrets" imho...
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Shawn Evans
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of Shawn Evans
Here....this will make you guys feel better. Karma is a great thing!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8tQgHiMGGU
I took the Pledge

" The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." - Albert Einstein
volto
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of volto
All Ellusionist Magic Tricks Exposed, here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZUry-4VFw4

Inspiring. There is hope...!
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3621 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
That was great- I love it!
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
lisheng
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of lisheng
Love both of them!
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6924 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Volto, I about spewed my iced tea all over my computer! ROFLMFAO! That is about the funniest freakin' thing I have seen in a long time! Thanks for that!

Doug
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6924 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2010-06-15 01:42, scottds80 wrote:
He revealed cut & restored rope and the Cap in Bottle.

If you mean Prohibition, Scott, yeah that ruined it for me, too. I didn't know about the show revealing that one, until I performed it at a party in Florida, and got NAILED bad, in front of half a dozen people. The guy stood up and told everyone about the "Masked Magician" and exposed the secret. Blew my whole performance, since I've always used it as a closer.

Now, several years later, and in a different state (Maine), it's like it never happened! It fries people again! Danny Doyle is correct, not an issue now. Although I WAS pretty steamed about it, people forget. Time healed that wound!

Doug
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3621 Posts

Yeah, until you are confronted with it, it doesn't seem to be worth worrying about. Sort of like being robbed...
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Guys, the Masked Magician got people interested in magic. He did nothing but good for us. I might have an issue with his lack of charisma, but I have no problem with the shows he did. I enjoyed them.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6924 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2010-10-21 07:27, TonyB2009 wrote:
Guys, the Masked Magician got people interested in magic. He did nothing but good for us. I might have an issue with his lack of charisma, but I have no problem with the shows he did. I enjoyed them.

Well, then there's that side of it. I no longer feel so threatened by him, now that the show kinda fizzled. Again, people forget. The ones who want to do magic, do. They see Val Valentino in a mask, exposing our craft, and a few people might join The Magic Café!

The rest all watch American Idol or Dancing With The Stars, or whatever, and forget the box has a trap door, or the thingee in the whatzit slides, or the guy has a hidden kaboodle. I wonder what Charlie Justice thought when his Prohibition effect was exposed? "Gee, this helps me sell more!" Hmmm. Hey, your mileage may vary...
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Profile of magicgettogether
I found this article interesting from the Shawano Wisconsin paper. It says that magic is dead because of exposure.

Quote:
But the day of the magician is past. Advertisement and exposes have given the public too much insight into the "magic" and interest has almost fully abated. The crowds were pitiably small. There was a touch of pathos in the futile efforts of the company to turn back the horologe two decades, when such performances meant money in the box office. The troupe went from Shawano to Clintonville. Twenty years ago this troupe would have attracted crowds that would have filled the hall.

The editor of a magic magazine responded to the above article with the following advice to magicians in his monthly column.

Quote:
We believe the future to be much brighter than this columnist depicts, but it is going to be up to all of us to do two things - firstly, to fight the exposer at every opportunity, and secondly, to keep our programs up-to-the-minute and in every way attractive.

The editor offering the sound advice was Percy Abbott and the year was 1936. Magicians need to stay the course as Percy suggests IMO.
80 years in the making - Magic Get Together
Visit Abbotts Magic Online - Abbott Magic
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3621 Posts

I agree totally!
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Profile of magicgettogether
I investigated the past a little further and a whole little scuffle developed over what magicians were and weren't doing about exposure in the late 1930's. Much too long for this forum, I put together an article on this which kind of recaps the highlights of the decade (including 3 pdf's, 2 from columnist Eddie Clever, 1 from the S.A.M. President) at

http://topsmag.com/Newest_Tops/?p=1968

The similarities in the letters as it relates to the events going on today are astounding considering this was over 70 years ago. The bad thing was the war on exposure appeared to be turning inward toward magic and the powers that be in magic in that era.
80 years in the making - Magic Get Together
Visit Abbotts Magic Online - Abbott Magic
jdmagic357
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of jdmagic357
If I might just play devils advocate for a minute. Exposer is not what kills magic. Its bad performances that kills magic. The proof is in OUR own appreciation of the craft. While many of us are well educated in how tricks work we can still be mesmerized by a gifted performer. If a trick you own is exposed publicly, devise a new presentation for it. That is the true secret of magic. According to Andrew Mayne the tricks exposed in "Discoveries of Witchcraft" were consider antiquated at the time of there exposer but to this day can still mystify an audience. Think also about the almighty TT and how many times it has been shown to lay ppl but in the hands of a master will never even be suspected. Don't get me wrong I DON'T LIKE EXPOSER but my life and or performances won't be effected at all by it.
Just cause they say it, doesn't make it true.
natswift
View Profile
Regular user
Colorado
178 Posts

Profile of natswift
Quote:
On 2010-10-25 14:57, jdmagic357 wrote:
If I might just play devils advocate for a minute. Exposer is not what kills magic. Its bad performances that kills magic. The proof is in OUR own appreciation of the craft. While many of us are well educated in how tricks work we can still be mesmerized by a gifted performer. If a trick you own is exposed publicly, devise a new presentation for it. That is the true secret of magic. According to Andrew Mayne the tricks exposed in "Discoveries of Witchcraft" were consider antiquated at the time of there exposer but to this day can still mystify an audience. Think also about the almighty TT and how many times it has been shown to lay ppl but in the hands of a master will never even be suspected. Don't get me wrong I DON'T LIKE EXPOSER but my life and or performances won't be effected at all by it.

Very well stated...
I've been a hobbiest/ part time magician for well over 20 years and still find myself fooled from time to time by some of the very techniques I use and am proficient with. I guess for me it's because I'm not looking for the secret when captivated by good quality entertainment.

In my experience, when I've faced an audience that is "in the know" it's never been a bad experience. However my style doesn't challenge the audience; I'm simply trying to entertain them and they know this.

So here's my 2 cents on the subject...

Exposure has been and always will be a question of ethics. Some say exposure hurts those that make their living at magic. This may be true to some degree but as jdmagic said if your performance is good people will watch.

What about magicians such as Houdini that purposely exposed so-called psychics. Ok... don't flame me for this just trying to get everyone thinking from a different angle. Yes I don't believe in making false claims about ones "power" or "abilities" and I definitely don't condone using peoples belief systems to take advantage of and profit from them... however; magicians have exposed psychics for decades and that is how they make a living.

Everyone knows that "magic" is not real and that poses the challenge that most logical thinkers are automatically going to try and find the secret. Remove the puzzle and people don't care. I believe we need to connect with our audiences on a level that simply invites them do be ok being fooled.

The "exposure" guy in your audience is nothing more than a heckler and needs to be dealt with as such. We've all been burned during a performance whether from a mistake on our part or the masked magician, youtube, etc...

So now my thoughts lead me to stealing and giving away others secrets. This is 100% wrong. Just like stealing music, movies, lecture notes, and so on. I believe in supporting the creators of magic for the sole reason that I want them to keep creating and sharing. I love going to a lecture and leaving with a smile on my face thinking, "why didn't I think of that!"

So, ok I guess I've got that off my chest. Not sure if anything I said is of value but it's been on my mind for weeks now and now I've left it on your minds! As a community let's keep pushing forward and remember why we perform and enjoy watching magic. The "exposure's" will always be part of our lives and at times we have all been "exposure's".

I thank you all here at the Café for helping improve my magic and look forward to continued growth and knowledge.

Let's remember to support the quality creators of magic by buying their books, DVD's and props. The ones out there for a quick buck will get just that and than be well...

EXPOSED!
Never forget to dream!

Nathan Smith
nateswift2010@gmail.com
R.E. Byrnes
View Profile
Inner circle
1206 Posts

Profile of R.E. Byrnes
B.f.d; it's a non-event
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » My concerns about the Masked Magician (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL