The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Best instant pic solution? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
847 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Looking to take a pic of the birthday kid or similar in a Chair Suspension or similar, and be in a position to present the pic to the kid within a few minutes. A polaroid would seem the obvious answer, but the pics do work out fairly expensive. So I have several decent digital cameras, and I could lug a full size printer around - but there's probably a better solution, involving a small, portable photo printer. That's what I'm thinking about right now - something that will print say, a postcard size quality pic, quickly. But I don't want the hassle of inkjets drying out between gigs, and stuff like that, when I'm using this feature as a selling point.

Anyone out there got any thoughts on this?

Tks!

DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Check out the Kodak Easyshare printer.
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q......Q8wIwAg#
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
CanadianMagicguy
View Profile
New user
British Columbia, Canada
90 Posts

Profile of CanadianMagicguy
An even easier (and cheaper) solution is the new Polaroid pocket sized instant digital printer for about $50.00 US. You can print 2" x 3" full-color, peel-off, borderless sticky-backed photos(like stickers) in under a minute from your cell phone or digital camera - and it uses a new Zinc paper which is water resistant, tear-resistant, and gives dry-to-touch images. They claim the printer is "inkless", so therefore no mess! The prints may be a little small, but you don't need big pictures (and kids love stickers!)as a give-away, and it would be really easy to transport.
See it here:
http://www.polaroid.com/products/0/35464......_Printer

Ain't technology wonderful?

Bruce
"Using words to describe magic is like using a screwdriver to cut roast beef"
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7446 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Fuji also makes an instant camera.

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/film_camera/instant/

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I can't vouch for the current Kodak EasyShare printer linked above, but the version just before this one was a piece of grade A garbage. I went through four camera dock printers with nothing but trouble. Kodak was great in accepting the faulty printer in return for a new one...but, after four I simply gave up and will never use another Kodak printer as long as I live. The main difficulties were with the paper feeder cartridge and the ink system. Fair warning.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
847 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Donald - had a look at the Fuji - the prints still work out relatively expensive, around £2.50 each, but very likely a better, if more expensive option...

CanadianMagicGuy - this looks like it will do the job. I like this a lot - except the part that DOESN'T SAY THAT it won;t work with an Iphone. However - it may well be worth buying another wi-fi phone to work with this printer...
Bit more homework to do - and thanks all for your contributions..

DCB
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5771 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I have a Polaroid instant camera and it was a cost effective and practical solution. I stopped using it because so many people already had camera phones at most shows.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7446 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
If I didn't make it clear, I actually use an Instax 200. That's the larger one. So, I can speak from experience, when I mentioned the Fuji as an option.

It's nice, and in my opinion, the photos aren't too expensive. I'm being paid enough for that show to justify the expense of $2 a photo (I pay about $30 CAN for 20 photos - a twin pack of cartridges of 10). They carry the film and camera in at least one store in town, so I didn't buy mine online.

Before then, I used to use a Polaroid 600, until they stopped making the film.

I've been taking photos of the chair suspension performance for about 10 or so years, so I've used an instant camera of some sort hundreds of times. There's something special about giving them a PHYSICAL instant photo on the spot, on stage, at the show.

- Donald

P.S. Tip - print up small address labels with your contact info, including website and phone. Stick the label to the photo before giving it to the spectator. That way they remember who I was, and how to contact me.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
917 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
FYI, Polaroid film is coming back into production. Apparently investors realized that there was still a market.

There's also a new Polaroid instant camera, see http://www.polaroid.com/ for details.
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
You can always take photo..... download the file to their computer, or transfer file..E-mail etc, They print and design the protrair , save file as 8 by 10 ...

No cost to you, Family still appreciates the effort you have made as well. ,,, remembner these days everyone has that camera phone, so it is a good benefit for you to take the pic, but not really a selling point?? Keep up your good work
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
847 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Tropical,

I hear what you say about camera phones - but that doesn't give the kid an instant pic of him,/herself to show everyone. It's THEIR pic - a pic of THEM in an a magical situation, which they're seeing for the first time. And, the idea is to follow up with a bigger glossy in a day or two, along with a "thank you" letter. Planting a seed for the future...and all the better if my website addy is featured in the setup..

Donald, I was wrong about the pricing of the pics. True, it is possible to pay £2.50 a pic, but I've found sites with more realistic prices. I think I'm going to go with the Instax 200.

Thank you all..

DCB
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1134 Posts

Profile of Eldon
FYI, I'm pretty sure the new Polaroid camera is being made by Fiji.
mayermagic
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of mayermagic
Canon SELPHY CP780 Compact Photo Color Inkjet Printer - Dye Based, 300 x 300 dpi, PictBridge, LCD Preview Display,USB, Bluetooth

Yet another printer to check out. It also has an optional battery to power it with and will print 4x6 and 4x8. Available from Tiger Direct for $100.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/......CatId=21
Mystical Matthew
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Profile of Mystical Matthew
I actually swear by the Polaroid POGO printer and use it in my show. No, it won't work with an iPhone but it will work with just about any other digital camera on the market. Just plug it in via the USB cable and you're good to go.

In general I've not had good luck with Bluetooth. I went through 12 different Bluetooth headsets before finally finding one that gave me good audio quality and stayed paired with my iPhone. I definitely wouldn't want to rely on bluetooth during a show.

One advantage is that we're a two-person act, so one can be keeping the show moving forward while the other prints the picture behind the backdrop.

Here's the advantages of the POGO for me.

- Ultra small and portable

- Runs off a rechargeable battery, no AC required.

- Prints fairly quickly

- Very quiet

- It uses "Zero Ink" technology. The paper has a special chemical treatment that creates the picture. This means you don't have to buy ink and the pictures are dry the moment they leave the printer.

- The backs can be peeled off to reveal a "sticky side". We use this to stick the picture in a souvenir card.

The disadvantages are:

- The paper is a little expensive, but factor in that you're not buying ink.

- The paper is a little hard to find. I went through six local shops before finding it. Just do Amazon.

- Your phone may not be supported, but most digital cameras are.

- You're stuck with one photo size.

Overall I give it a hearty recommendation for the kind of thing you need it for. Just be aware of the negatives. The printers are easy to find (Wal-Mart carries them), it's the paper that's a pain in the arse to locate.

Since I own and use the POGO I'd be happy to answer any questions. I don't own stock in Polaroid or anything, but I really do like it.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I use a digtial camera and take the shot and show it top the child on the LCD screen. it makes for an instant reaction from the child and an amazing way to end the show. I then send the child (via the parent's email address) a personalized email to them with the phioto attached. It makes for a great way to touch base with them after the event is over.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Best instant pic solution? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL