The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Stripping Kevlar Thread (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ambassador365
View Profile
Loyal user
201 Posts

Profile of ambassador365
I bought a spool of Kevlar thread and I'm wondering if any of you know of an easy way to strip this thread into individual strands. I've tried and it almost seems impossible to do this without breaking most of the strands.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Rudy
ambassador365
View Profile
Loyal user
201 Posts

Profile of ambassador365
Well, I was able to separate a strand. The particular kind that I bought has a waxy texture to it, so it's definately not as easy (yet) as stripping out the other kind.

I also bought another interesting type of thread from the same place that I've heard is used to make bullet proof vests.

Very thin and pretty strong, but pretty visible because of the shine to it.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I bet if you posted in the Threads, Reels and Anchors section people may have more ideas they can share and it's more private too.
ambassador365
View Profile
Loyal user
201 Posts

Profile of ambassador365
Thanks Jay, I didn't see "thread, reels and anchors"...
Magic Spank
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas
320 Posts

Profile of Magic Spank
The waxed Kevlar sold for fishing and things won't work out for you as well as the stuff you find in the magic shops.

Threadexchange.com does sell unwaxed Kevlar multi-filament that can be stripped but it's very thin. Because it's so thin it's not really much stronger than your average thread. The thing is, real Kevlar by DuPont fibers are all the same thickness. I'm talking about the individual filaments. The Kevlar thread I'm familiar with in magic is most certainly not Kevlar. Probably a nylon. I'd bet on it.

Funny that thread exchange is calling it "magician's invisible thread". I wonder who turned them on to that? Because it's really not too useful as IT, I have a spool.

Rob
TheGreatRaymondo
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
968 Posts

Profile of TheGreatRaymondo
If you purchase IT from Steve Fearson he gives you a web link to one of his tutorials which show you how to exactly strip thread quickly and easily.
Once you get the hang of it - it is pretty straight forward
TGR
We are inclined to believe those whom we do not know because they have not yet deceived us...
ambassador365
View Profile
Loyal user
201 Posts

Profile of ambassador365
Thanks fellas!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Stripping Kevlar Thread (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL