The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Bill Palmer Appreciation Thread (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Dear Cups & Balls Devotees,
Even if this ends up being one lone post, I have to publicly say that Mr. Palmer is a national (and inter-national) treasure.
His online museum is a thing of awesome proportions; a scholar's paradise and a visual feast.
His commentary and willingness to share a life-time of knowledge with Café members and others is extraordinarily generous.
I have been guided by his wisdom; sustained by his enthusiasm; introduced to countless ideas; and most all enlightened by his preternatural ability to understand and communicate the most subtle, nuanced, inner qualities of this most beautiful magical effect.
Mr. Palmer, I have but two simple words: Thank You.
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Very nice and well put. Bill had a big influence with RNT II in the early days and till it's sale. Thank you Bill.
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
You are both welcome.

Although the cups and balls museum is a personal effort, it would not have been possible at all without the help and cooperation of a very large number of people, some of whom are collectors, others magic dealers, and yet others, people with literary references.

RnT II has been a big part of this, from the time that Mike Brazill resurrected the company through the time that Jake was the main operator (along with Epiphany) and now, with Donald Buckley at the helm.

Jim Riser provided a lot of very important information.

Pete Biro has also been a huge help.

Kenna Thompson gave me a lot of encouragement, as did Ron Allesi.

And Lawrence O certainly helped me out a lot in ways that he doesn't even know about!!!

Fortasse went through a lot of trouble to make sure that the Ozanam and Guyot material was translated well, and he shared it generously with all of us.

Todd Paoletti constructed a huge bibliography, which is still being developed.

And there are a dozen or so people in Europe who have been a big part of this, as well.

The main thing is this. I don't know everything there is to know about the cups and balls. I don't know everything there is to know about magic. All I know is what I have learned by doing.

I'm always open to suggestions.

Even the ones where the cups won't fit. Smile
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
3 words for ya, Bill's the man.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Bill:

You Rock!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I thank all of you. You guys are all great!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Thanks for your kind words, Bill, and a great big thank you to you for all the help you've given me and countless others in deepening our knowledge and appreciation of the oldest and greatest sleight-of-hand trick in all of magic. The depth of your knowledge about cups is without equal as is your enthusiasm and passion for the subject.

Bill is really the patriarch of the clan that gathers nightly here in this "Ever-so-Sleightly" corner of the Café. What those of you who are newcomers to the Café may not realize, however, is that in addition to his voluminous contributions here, Bill is also constantly sharing his knowledge and advice behind the scenes to magicians, collectors and magic lovers all around the world. He does so unselfishly and without any thought of personal reward or even recognition.

Thanks, Bill. You're the greatest!

Sean
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Thanks, Sean.

One fellow whose help and inspiration I left out is Kent Gunn. He made me think in a new direction.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Bill turned me on to the Café', and thereby got me focused on creating magic effects once more. There are many facets to Bill that are hidden beneath his Cup.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
967 Posts

Profile of lint
Aww thanks for the recognition Bill.

You should be so proud of the contributions you have made to the Magical Arts.

-Todd
"There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip..." -English Proverb
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
This is cool. Ive known Bill since the early 70s. He's always been supportive of magic and magicians. I appreciate his friendship. Thanks Bill.
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
As a newcomer to this forum, and to this art and science of Cups and Balls, I can but add a small word of gratitude and admiration. Mr. Palmer is very generous with his time and with his knowledge, judgment, and wisdom. I already know that his messages convey a world of knowledge about that art which he is very kind to share, and also that he can impart a world of knowledge about so many other things.

Thank you, Mr. Palmer!

Woland
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1477 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
I think I can sum it up in one sentence.

Bill is my friend.

Thank you for everything Bill.

Tom.
"But there isn't a door"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Let's have a group hug!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Portland
662 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
Bill once saved me from a one eyed alligator at the Ohio state fair... the gator wanted my cotton candy.
Thanks for everything Bill!
-Lee
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Tick-tock. Tick-tock.

You are welcome.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
I only had the honor of meeting with Mr. Palmer, in person, one time.

I just wanted a place to do my cups and balls routine at one iteration of the World Magic Seminar. Mssrs Biro and Wells were kind enough to let me ramble on about the cups and balls late one night.

At that WMS, Mr. Palmer was delivering a presentation on the cups and balls and he chaired a panel discussion with the world's greatest authorities on our favorite effect.

I just want to do my routine for any magician foolish enough to stop for three minutes. Our Mr. Palmer let me do my routine with a small portion of his museum behind me. He provided me a true sense of camaraderie. He had prepared a certificate thanking me. I nearly let him catch me tear up. I was and remain overwhelmed with the charisma and joy I felt in his presence.

Enthusiasm for our art, brotherly love for it's practitioners and a scholar's knowledge of all things cups and balls set my friend Bill Palmer apart.

Thanks Bill, for so very many things.

Kent
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Okay, let's make room for one more in the group hug. Smile

Seriously, guys, I thank all of you for your friendship and your camraderie.

I have been fortunate to meet and know many of the best cups and balls workers in the world -- Rafael Benatar, Johnny Thompson, Jason Latimer, Shawn Farquhar, Kent Gunn, Pete Biro, Michael Ammar, Dai Vernon, Roger Klause, Bob White, Al Schneider, Suzanne, Michael Vincent -- the list is way too long to name all of them.

We are basically united by one thing -- a desire to present this old chestnut of a trick to the best of our abilities. And maybe, when we present it, to add a little something to it that says, "I was here."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Let’s not forget Mr. Palmer's wicked sense of humour!
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
I can't really add much to everything that has been said above. I have often been heard to say that I believe his brain goes right to the top of that Sherwood hat he is wearing in his avatar, it must do to contain that vast amount of knowledge...

Bill's generousity has touched many of us and it's not just the cups and balls and magic world that shares our admiration of him either.

I have picked Bill's brains on many occasions and can be frequently spotted in the museum browsing and taking it all in.

Thanks Bill!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Bill Palmer Appreciation Thread (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL