The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Thank You Harry Lorayne! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
133 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
There always seems to be a small part of an audience that is "above magic" and as such they appear not to enjoy it. When I am able, I try to incorporate a few effects that they will appreciate. Lately I have been having success with math magic. Thanks to Harry Lorayne's book "Mathematical Wizardry", I not only capture their attention but leave them severely puzzled. The Missing Digit and the Fibonacci Series articles covered in his book are just some of the outstanding examples of mental wizardry that play huge and are easy to demonstrate. Harry's book along with a dry slate, marker, eraser and a cheap calculator for the spectator are all you need to perform. Thank you Harry Lorayne!
John
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
My pleasure, John. Keep going through the book. The items you mention are fine, but as you get deeper into it, you'll find some that are much, much, stronger (in my opinion, of course). For "at home" groups, I usually work with only borrowed items. A large pad and a calculator is "it;" usually. I'm so glad you're enjoying the book, and thank you for saying so. Best - HARRY L.

Posted: Jun 25, 2010 10:47am
----------------------------------
Interesting. Just cleaning out some old papers and stuff and came across this list. I had originally emailed all those on my email list asking if they'd be interested in purchasing a copy of Mathematical Wizardry if I re-printed it. (Remember, this was many months ago.) I also mentioned the probable retail price. I told them that I was trying to decide whether or not to re-print it. Well, I received quite a response - so many said that they'd definitely purchase a copy. I re-printed Mathematical Wizardry. What's interesting here is that many of those who said they'd purchase a copy - did. But, many who said they would, didn't! I wonder why. Why say you will, then don't? Just interesting to me.

Incidentally, been getting great testimonials about it, many using lots of stuff out of that book. Paul Gordon, among others, said:
Quote:
I can add...that MW is full of great concepts and gems. In fact, last week I used five of the items at a session with "the boys" and "the boys" were astounded. "The boys" being some of the top pros at The Magic Circle! Harry has given away and taught some lovely material. I bought MW the first time it 'appeared' and I'm still discovering great stuff! Highly recommended. Paul Gordon.

Anyway, just wanted to get this off my mind/chest as I discard that list of those who definitely would buy, and haven't. Best - HARRY L.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
John Pilotzi
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of John Pilotzi
I got a copy on the recomendation by Paul Gordon - whose opinion I really trust - and I can honestly say this book is a superstar within its genre! It's full of startling ideas and magical effects. Well done Mr. Lorayne, and thanks PG for tipping!

JP
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Harry, I've already posted elsewhere about how much I am enjoying this book but I will say it again here:

If anyone has even the slightest interest at all in math magic, this is THE book you truly MUST have.

Those two words, "must have", are used in a heck of a lot of ads for magic books, DVDs, and other products, and usually I discover that I didn't not need them at all. They might be nice - even somewhat useful - but not a "must". But Harry Lorayne's Mathematical Wizardry is a real, honest-to-goodness "must have" for all who enjoy performing math wizardry. There are concepts in the book that can be found elsewhere but nowhere else are they explained so lucidly as in this book. Plus Harry explains how he presents this type of magic, which is a treasure in itself. Even if you don’t perform professionally this book has routines in it that you can use to entertain just about anyone, anywhere.

Math magic is not for everyone, but if you do have an interest in it, drop everything else and get this book!

Thanks Harry!

Jim

BTW, I was on your email list for Mathematical Wizardry and I did make the purchase as soon as I received your follow-up email announcing its availability. Well worth every penny!
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
I would like to add my thanks to Mr. Lorayne.
"The Magic Book" was one of my favorites. the Math section in that book has served me well for many years.
As soon as I could get my hands on it, I bought MW.
This is a great book. But if you will put your own mental twists to Mr. Lorayne's gift, you will come up with miracles.
Thank you, sir, for all that you have given to magic.
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
133 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
Harry,

It was a pleasure to see you on this month's cover of The Linking Ring and read the article inside! The field of entertainment will always be indebted to you. Best wishes for your continued health and happiness.

John
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
sthielman
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
129 Posts

Profile of sthielman
Can anyone offer a comparison of MW to Martin Gardner's Mathemagic, Mystery, and You?
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
No comparison at all, sthielman, Martin's book is much better! HL.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
sthielman
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
129 Posts

Profile of sthielman
Thanks for that modest assessment, but I was more interested in how the contents compared, i.e. what distinguishes one book from the other - more than which is better.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Harry,
I was one of those that told you I would be very interested in buying the book. I really was sincere. It's just that income has been a little down lately and I have to wait a little longer. Hope you understand.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Kevinh5
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Kevinh5
OK, you've convinced me. Ordering Harry's book right now.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Thank You Harry Lorayne! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL