The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Most hated and most liked (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Quote:
On 2011-05-23 15:16, clownybeth wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-06-20 13:45, mike storz wrote:
things I hate:

I want to love the vanishing milk trick where you pour milk over tge kids head in a cone, it vanishes, then you put a glass of milk over his head and be pretends to drink the milk as it dissapears from the glass BUT it never works properly for me. The milk never stays in the glass for me until I'm ready to perform!!!!

I guess that's all I do not like. Smile

Mike, I am planning to perform the Silly Billy milk trick for the first time in an upcoming show, and I am also concerned about keeping the milk in the cup. When I practice, I screw it up about half the time. When you performed this trick and failed during the second portion, how did you handle it? I guess the good news is that, since you've already made the milk in the newspaper disappear, you could just end the trick there if necessary.

The vanish of the milk is enough Magic for Kids and Parents! The only one that knows that the glass is to be s*****d are you ( And David Kaye )...Put the leftover milk in a glass is a completely normal action!
My best,
-H
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
silking
View Profile
Loyal user
207 Posts

Profile of silking
Th
e Abbotts Snake Basket is great with abc cards and using the y- gag is great
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2126 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Quote:

I do the vanishing Coke Bottle in a paper bag, but I first turn the Big Coke into a Little Coke. I have a 3 inch coke bottle as a novelty item. This is a hit with the kids.
I avoid Break Away Wand and The Magic Coloring Book because my magician collegues in my area already use them.

If that's a fave of yours, have you checked out the new bottles from twister magic? With these you can pour out 1/2 the coke....it's a heckuva lot more convincing and makes a great follow-up trick from the airborne bottle!

The coloring book is really an oddity of kid's magic...everyone uses it yet it simply never seems to fail! I use a 6-way book wich includes scribbles and wrong-colors, and end with rainbow trow-coils coming out of the rolled-up book.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Quote:
On 2011-05-23 19:58, Mary Mowder wrote:
Starrpower,

Do you like or dislike CARD DUCK! ?

It's a love/hate relationship, Mary.

Mostly hate.

In fact, I have yet to find something I love about it.

I gave my away. It was pretty much unused.

I pretty much love the SMM Pizza Box, though.
Mando
View Profile
Regular user
Queens, New York
189 Posts

Profile of Mando
I love my Botania, it always gets oooh's and ahhhh's from the parents and the misers dream

I would have to say I Dislike strat-o-sphere/ joker tube, never went over well for me, never liked it enough to keep at it.

Armando
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
Chance is right. What may work for one may not work for another. Gary stated the coloring book isn't his style, but it fits mine. We're all different and we have to find what fits our style.

Card tricks. Some people here state they DON'T do card tricks for kids. I do. In my primary birthday act I perform card frame with a regular deck and I have a kid sign the card/Initial it etc. In birthday act #2 I perform card in balloon. It is all the antics and bits of business that make the trick entertaining. (If you've ever performed card in balloon then you already know how magical it is to any audience) In birthday act #3 I perform the Lasso Card Trick and I use alphabet cards for that one.

Mando, I'm with you on the Stratosphere trick, but I'm sure there are people here who use it all the time and love it.
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2126 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Ah-HA!! That's 3 strikes against the stratosphere!! I think we have a winn...uhm...a LOSER ladies & gentlemen!!
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
I hate performers who do the latest trick they've just seen at a magic club by a guest lecturer. This year, it seems to be Bill Abbott's 5-card opener or Nick Einhorn's Unicorn coin in bottle. Great tricks by the original performers, but poorly copied by the magicians I've seen who have just opened the packet and done the trick without any real rehearsal or changing any gags/ad libs etc. At Magical Cabarets I hate having to go on after them and regain the audience who have often switched off.

I like Stratosphere but do a version using a mirror box to produce the balls (Carroll Baker) and tell a funny story about following instructions.

My current favourite is Shadow Rabbit by Duane Laflin - funny, involves 2 or more volunteers who often get dressed up/funny wands, silks, clear force bag, the audience catches you out, it packs flat so is always in my box. And it works in many different languages - used in UK, Arabia and SE Asia.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1738 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Hate: most sucker tricks using props such as fraidy cat rabbit.
Like sucker tricks such as silk to egg, t&r napkin.
Love: egg bag & miser's dream. (Everytime I do them, I picture Al Flosso in my head, and how he had me laughing so hard that the tears ran down my leg.)
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Strat-O-Sphere is a HUGE hit for me, the kids laugh themselves silly. I use it in my "story show", and the reason it's funny is because of the acting that goes along with the routine. Actually, I don't think I've come up with anything particularly original, but what I have done, is to turn it into a clowning routine, which the kids find very magical.
Colouring Book for me is one of the "most hated" - even though I occasionally put it in my case, I think I actually perform it about once every three years! Not that it's a bad trick, but simply everyone uses it, even the local activity party "entertainers". And it's included in a number of kids' magic sets. My feeling is that there are so many other, better tricks that can be used, I wonder why on Earth anyone would choose the colouring book as a regular feature in their act?
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1426 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
Cards for kids are great in snake basket routines or puppet mentalism. Also, card to unusual location works for them.

Rabbit productions are great. I combine mine with card divination as my rabbit picks the right card at the end of the show with her mouth after several efforts by me and the audience fail.

Coloring book is not bad as a single bit of business rather than as a feature trick. I use it to "measure" whether the Invisible Paint can is "gathering color" or not. When the invisible paint can starts to activate (enough kids have thrown colors from shirt), then the coloring book shows color. Then I can proceed with the routine.

I stay away from any box trick with stereotyped Chinese characters. Those are all terrible and in need of a paint job (except for the ones by Michael Baker - which are fantastic - and a few others who restore and do original art - the Mak and Icle Pickle "Oriental" themed boxes are terrible . . .). They reek of "19th century parlour trick with no relevance to kids today and un-PC to boot . . ."
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
Quote:
On 2011-05-28 14:06, Potty the Pirate wrote:
Strat-O-Sphere is a HUGE hit for me, the kids laugh themselves silly. I use it in my "story show", and the reason it's funny is because of the acting that goes along with the routine. Actually, I don't think I've come up with anything particularly original, but what I have done, is to turn it into a clowning routine, which the kids find very magical.
Colouring Book for me is one of the "most hated" - even though I occasionally put it in my case, I think I actually perform it about once every three years! Not that it's a bad trick, but simply everyone uses it, even the local activity party "entertainers". And it's included in a number of kids' magic sets. My feeling is that there are so many other, better tricks that can be used, I wonder why on Earth anyone would choose the colouring book as a regular feature in their act?

I can imagine some good acting along with this prop would work for someone. Maybe I just never gave it a good chance. Much of my show plays on conflict and acting and I can imagine if I added this to a show, and having the red ball not cooperate, along with some acting (frustration etc) , I can see the kids laughing and enjoying this. Maybe I should give it another chance except . . . I sold mine two years ago! lol Oh well . . .
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Quote:
On 2011-05-23 22:21, Chance Wolf wrote:
I think the initial question may be flawed due to the fact that I have personally seen magicians truly ENTERTAIN with some of the effects "BAD" already listed. ( Card Duck as an example)

Well the original question is only flawed if you assume the OP is trying to find out which effects are good or bad. Maybe he was just asking out of interest to find out everyone's personal tastes and highlight the difference and diversity between us all.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Quote:
On 2011-05-29 09:22, TommyJ wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-28 14:06, Potty the Pirate wrote:

I can imagine some good acting along with this prop would work for someone. Maybe I just never gave it a good chance. Much of my show plays on conflict and acting and I can imagine if I added this to a show, and having the red ball not cooperate, along with some acting (frustration etc) , I can see the kids laughing and enjoying this. Maybe I should give it another chance except . . . I sold mine two years ago! lol Oh well . . .

That's pretty much how I play my routine...the prop is a traffic light....and it won't let me past, because I can't get the colours in the right order. I employ a comedy walk, and silly voices....to be honest, there's not much more. The script and the acting make for the humour, while the prop delivers the "magic". In fact, between their laughter, the kids always shout out "it's magic!" I find it a very strong piece, and a great way to get into my story show.
Potty Smile
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2467 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Potty,

I also use the stratosphere to good effect. That is so weird, I have had kids on more than one occasion (especially little ones) yell out something like "That's magic!."
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I never understand the dislike of Stratosphere. I think it is a clever trick that is easy to follow. Heck, I even like the vanish box (although I can do without the clown face.) Having said that, I rarely use mine for lack of a satisfactory presentation.

(Still hate the card duck.)
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1738 Posts

Profile of jakeg
The reason that I don't like stratosphere is because I've seen it done by maybe 20 magi, and I've yet to see it done well. Judging only from what I've seen, it's a 'so what' trick.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
You're exactly right, Jake, which is why it takes a good presentation. It's a good concept, it has a good method, and it has a nice conclusion (ball vanishes and reappears in it's original place.) It also ends clean with nothing extra. All those pluses, it only lacks a great presentation (which is up to the magician, right?)

I was brainstorming with a friend for about an hour with this one last night and came up with a rather absurd but possibly workable presentation theme. It's too sketchy to share right now, but I'm gonna keep with it; I'm not ready to "hate" it yet!
vincentmusician
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto
141 Posts

Profile of vincentmusician
I would just do the Magic you like and have a good presentation for. There are props like the Rings and colouring book I have good routines for. Sometimes I get the, "I've seen that before". That does not bother me. If you do lots of shows you will get that no matter what you do. Just make sure your presentation is good. Cheers!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Most hated and most liked (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL