The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » No doves allowed law? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
Just came across a law in my county for keeping pet birds:
Scroll all the way to the bottom and it is the last paragraph.

http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/poltmp......laws.asp

This is a big disappointment since I was in the middle of constructing a small aviary for my 2 doves to put on the deck. I wonder if there are any ways around this law.

Mike
Mike Perrello
DC Area's Leading Family Entertainment Expert
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
Mike... good thing is at least you can have them inside. I wonder if the aviary is small and portable, would that help if it is not attached to the structure and can be moved in?? I would contact the township and ask them what variations they may have to help you. Is it just 100 feet from your housing or housing nearby???? could be just 100 feet from neighbors dwelling. ?????????????? Are you part of a home owners associaiton in a condo??
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5119 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Wow, that sucks. I noticed that this set of rules was last updated 2 years ago. I'd take Chris's advice and contact your township officials and explain your situation. There may be an amendment or way around the problem.

I see it said aviary and your are talking about constucting one on your deck. Maybe the work around is to keep the birds in large cages on the deck. It might be semantics but that's usually how law work arounds work.
Where the magic begins
MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
This is part of an HOA.
I was thinking the same thing that maybe an exception being the size of a cage sitting on a table.

Thanks,
Mike

ps. here are some pictures of doves basking in the sun:
http://www.winkflash.com/photo/photozoom......1939&p=1
Mike Perrello
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Werll I went and done it Mike,,, signed up for that wink account so I could see your pics. Your rabbit has a great area. Looks l;ike he or she is treated like a star!. nice area for the doves as well. I bet if you had a section like the bottom portion where the rabbit is seen setting, for your dove, and it was portable ( could be folded up and set aside) you probably would have any issues with the HOA. That would be a great size for them to exrcise, being there is only 2 of them. fold that bad boy up at ight once you brought them inside for the evening. Looks good,,, thanks for sharing.
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

< man was typing so fast with one finger,,, sorry for the hill billy typos.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5119 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Nice area for the rabbit. I think if you talk to the HOA, you won't have any problems.
Where the magic begins
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

I have to aggree with dave...... with just 2 doves no problem, I could see if you had big breeders with pigeons, and was worried about pigeon droppings, noise etc. dropped seed to encourage mice etc. Hope all turns out well for you Mike. that rabbit area was awesomt huh Dave!
MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
Sorry about the link
This one should be accessible to everyone

http://www.mikepmagic.com/images/doves/Doves.jpg
Mike Perrello
MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
Thanks for the compliments to the rabbit run. I just added fly screen to all the rabbit run panels yesterday to keep the smaller critters out.

A portable aviary is what I had in mind as well Chris.
On another thread, Spellbinder sent a pic of one he has plans for that looks interesting.
Also from another thread, Gordon has plans for an aviary for any weather.

Thanks,
Mike
Mike Perrello
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5119 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Mike, Gordon's plans are great. They are easily adaptable to any size.

Chris, yeah that rabbit run was awesome. My rabbit would think it died and went to heaven with a run like that. Smile
Where the magic begins
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Where is the link to gordons plans?? is it in another forum, ar do I need to contact him for photo. would love to see them.
MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
Here are Gordon's plans. I already contacted him and he doesn't have any photos, just a diagram:
http://www.g2meyer.com/dovecote/Home.html

Just spoke to the county. Even a small cage can't be kept out 24/7, but a few hours during the day is fine. I wish there was some other way around this because that's one room in the house that becomes unavailable.

Thanks,
Mike
Mike Perrello
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5119 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Mike, did they happen to mention their idea of a few hours? Two doves shouldn't put a room off limits. If you could get away with having them outside for 7 or 8 hours a day, the dander issue would be limited. When you practice, where do you do it? I'm assuming you have a practice room of sorts. The doves could be kept in that room.

Let them bathe, excercise and eat everyday outside. Keep them inside at night. I wish I could come up with a better solution for you.
Where the magic begins
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Dave has hit the nail right on the head, you can live with them on the inside under those terms, great to have them outside during the day fo 6 or so hours, then inside they go, with only 2 doves, the dander issue should not be a big problem. Bathing them outside to help keep dander down a bit, plus the fresh air for them, sounds like you should be good to go,,, Get to building my friend. Thanks for the link to the dove cote as well
MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
Other possibilities come to mind such as the garage, if I can find a way to add functional windows to the garage door to let light and fresh air in. I searched around and only could find non-functional windows.
Another possibility is the fenced in backyard on the 1st floor. Their cage is at the back window that stays open 24/7 so who will know whether the cooing is coming from inside or outside the house Smile
Thank you Dave and Chris for the many helpful suggestions
Mike
Mike Perrello
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » No doves allowed law? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL