The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Nail Knocker On Last Comic...usual results (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Well...Ses was on Last Comic Standing last night. The only reason I zipped through the dvr was to find his truncated appearance on this crappy show.

I have developed a deep dislike for the performer competitions on TV. It's just wrong and almost always looks rigged and peopled by fodder for unnecessary ridicule by egotistical morons. I feel the same about so called Awards shows which are usually politcal pay backs or agenda driven face slaps.
Entertain a crowd that has paid to see you. If you stink they'll ask for their money back. At least they WANT you to be good. (And you pocket rent money.)
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1357 Posts

Profile of handa
I agree on both points. Also, I've never agreed on "voting by style or genre." A great blues singer may not necessarily carry well when singing country or 80s Pop, and the "pop sound" overlaid on ALL of the genres is just plain annoying.

So, if somebody tanks in the "Country and Western" round, but does really well with another style, does it mean that they suck, or that they don't fit into the mold?

Chris
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
It means they were foolish to go against what they KNEW to be their limits?
handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1357 Posts

Profile of handa
I don't want to squander my "15 minutes" on presenting something I don't enjoy performing. Life is too short for that nonsense.
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
15 minutes is too long nowadays..... short attention spans.. you luck out with 15 seconds of fame now.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I think I can manage a smile in 15 seconds...with plenty of rehearsal time.
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
Quote:
On 2010-06-22 16:30, thegreatnippulini wrote:
15 minutes is too long nowadays..... short attention spans.. you luck out with 15 seconds of fame now.
Yeah, that's just a little bit more time than Ses got.
~Les S. Moore, The Dapper Dipper
Swami Yomahmi and Cheeky Monkey Sideshow

"Comedy is a man in trouble." ~Bill Irwin
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
670 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
Assuming that these competitions are legitimate (and that's a BIG assumption), all you would need to do to win is avoid being the worst in each phase.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
And have cute hair.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
.......... on the other hand, it's a quick way to add an extra zero to your fee.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Only if it's in front of the rest of the numbers.

An old agent put it to me: "It used to be, if you were on Carson or Letterman, it was a guarantee of a 6 month contract somewhere. Now, it don't get you a cup of coffee."

I've done a couple hundred TV gigs. One or two led to further work. But I get phone calls regularly, from people who see a rerun.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
829 Posts

Profile of Rotten
You need a story arch. Like being from Haiti or having some disease of some sort. Military is a sure winner, even with Origami. That show is crap. The air guitar guys rocked. I don't know how but I missed Ses' show. Would have like to see it.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Ses didn't get to do a show...tapped a nail and got booted...said 'You don't like Clowns?' and they said 'No.' That was it.
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
THAT explains it. All things between me and Ses set aside, I really had no idea why he would be on this show. For all intents and purposes, take away the sideshow stunts and effects and our comedy routine is FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR from stand-up.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Doctor Mythsonian
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of Doctor Mythsonian
While I hope Ses can parlay this into something good, the show and the concept itself is far from legitimate, in any way. It's a dog and pony show with an executioners' axe... Roman spectacle at it's best... Not a talent show in any sense of the word.

Want to win this thing? Be an ugly, old woman singing amazingly. Or a child doing blockhead. The extremes being extreme seem to be fodder for their rapture.
willhunter
View Profile
Regular user
Providence, RI
140 Posts

Profile of willhunter
Ses can give you all the real deal on this show. He at a tat con out of town and busy right now. Hopefully he will drop in and comment soon. They shot much more footage, much of it him giving it right back to the "executioners". They edited it down and made him look like a chump! Still that will not stop me from pitching him as the Evil Clown from "Last Comic Standing" next week. Just like I will talk up John Strong's minor appearance in a Batman Movie. "See Ses Carney, the evil clown from 'Last Comic Standing' and look it that fire breather from 'Batman'". It is all show business!
aka Billy Boston
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
"They edited it down and made him look like a chump!"

Exactly my point. Solution: Don't pee on the electric fence.
Rick West
View Profile
Loyal user
Texas
243 Posts

Profile of Rick West
Quote:
On 2010-06-24 11:34, Doug Higley wrote:
Exactly my point. Solution: Don't pee on the electric fence.

Once is usually enough.
"Never let the truth stand in the way of a good jackpot"

"You say things sometimes, you don't know what the hell you mean. But you're sincere when you say it." Bob Dylan
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
You need to turn it off, first.

www.bladewalker.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Nail Knocker On Last Comic...usual results (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL