We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Three Card Monte Annotated Reference (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Hi All,
What are your favourite/most referenced/useful/insightful/valued 3 Card Monte resources - and why?

These can be pamphlets, dedicated books, chapters in books, videos, preferred cards, gaming surfaces, gaffs, packet effects, etc.

Also, which performers do you think are/were exceptional Monte workers – and why?
With thanks,
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
School for Scoundrels Notes on Three-Card Monte, and the School for Scoundrels DVD on Three-Card Monte.
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Quote:
On 2010-07-07 13:33, Whit Haydn wrote:
School for Scoundrels Notes on Three-Card Monte, and the School for Scoundrels DVD on Three-Card Monte.

Hi Whit,
I purchased both from your site.
They are AMAZING!!!
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
You may also enjoy John Scarne explains why you can't win: A treatise on three card Monte which is written by Audrey Walsh.

It's only a small booklet but it's packed full of gold.
DrSammy
View Profile
New user
Greater Toronto Area
52 Posts

Profile of DrSammy
I like the Scarne booklet. I had seen other descriptions before reading it, but it was only after reading that book that I felt comfortable with the hype. Then I found the SFS notes and they helped me refine things. The notes are a fantastic resource and give a far-reaching survey of the subject. I recommend both books without reservation.

As you're in the Toronto area, you might look into the next (and, I believe, final) meeting of the Erdnase reading group at The Browser's Den. We haven't really talked about the Erdnase's description of the Monte in the other meetings, but it could generate some good discussion.

Also, Lee Asher's "Catch 33" has a nice variation on the torn corner.
Many an ancient lord's last words had been, "You can't kill me because I've got magic aaargh." -- Terry Pratchett, Interesting Times
luvisi
View Profile
Special user
584 Posts

Profile of luvisi
You may find The Scoundrels Bibliography useful.

Andru
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Three Card Monte Annotated Reference (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL