The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » Meeting Don Driver . . . (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2695 Posts

Profile of sethb
Don took about an hour out of his vacation today, and stopped in Egg Harbor Township, N.J. to have lunch with me. It was a lunch I won't forget for quite a while! After years of chatting on the Café, it was great to meet Don in person. He is just as much of a gentlemen and a charming guy in person as he is online.

I brought along a Svengali Deck, and we had a great time trading DL's and jackpotting about different spots, issues and problems. Don was even able to find out the name of the Svengali pitchman I remembered seeing on the Steel Pier in Atlantic City 40 years ago! Don has basically been everywhere and done everything, so when I ask him about a particular issue, he can always say "Been there, done that, here's my solution." A nicer guy you will not find -- and he's always willing to share, for those who are willing to listen.

I even got a chance to show Don my Money Paddle pitch, which I do when I get tired of Svengali Decks and Magic Worms (or when somebody has already bought a deck and a worm, and wants to know if I have anything else). And don't you know, there was a little kid sitting at a table behind us, who overheard our conversation, and then got up to watch! I was almost tempted to call him over and have him be our assistant, but I didn't want to disrupt normal service in the restaurant. As I said to Don, I must be doing OK if I can start drawing a tip in a diner!

In our discussions, Don also said that when he created his Svengali Pitch tape, he never expected to sell a ton of them, or basically revive the art of the Svengali Pitch. But that's basically what happened -- fortunately for the rest of us!

So thanks, Don, for sharing so generously (even if you made a few bucks at the same time, which is perfectly legit), and for stopping in my neck of the woods to say hello to a little 40-miler. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
Hello Seth:

You are one lucky guy!!! What a day to remember! Glad you guys could jackpot and share some moves, Way to go Seth!!!!!!!!

ROD
Kim
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Kim
What Rod said Seth,what a lucky guy.
I tried to get Don to stop and have lunch with me (my treat,of course!) when I heard he was going to B'more, as I am right off 95, but he goes 85 both coming and going,darn it.
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
I'm in NYC and at a computer at the hotel lobby.Seth what a real plesure it was to meet you in person today...what a great guy you are.I hope we get to do that again sometime soon but spend more time next time.

Tomorrow I' off to Coney Island to see even more sideshow friends,Todd Robbins and Donny Volmit.Going to be anothe fun day.

Thanks again Seth....

Later,Don
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2695 Posts

Profile of sethb
Thanks for the kind words, Don. The pleasure was all mine!

Please let us know what Todd is running in his 10-in-1 at Coney. Since he knows all the classics (and then some!), I'll be very interested to see what he picked. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Seth,

I guess I got the wrong infomation on Todd.We met this morning at a Café.Hes only doing a free act outside at the new Luna Park. No tent or 10 in 1.

He is off on week ends.I did go to Coney and went to sideshow by the sea shore with Donny Vomit.Great show and I got to make some new friends...can't have enough of them.Then we went to the new Luna Park.They did a great job.I was told they built the park in 100 days...amazing what money can do.

Met Alex ( the squirmle pitch kid) in Chinatown and we spent several hours catching up.He has 3 state fairs booked this summer.He says he won't ask me to go out this time but my money is on me packing my bags again..

One more full day here in NYC than back to Baltimore for a week.

Later,Don
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Back in Baltimore till after the 4th than home.Think I'll go visit Denny again.Going to a baseball game tonight.Sure having a grand time.

Don
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7170 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Don really glad to hear all this. You deserve some really good days!
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Kim
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Kim
I have had the pleasure of spending a few visits with Denny. A nicer man and more knowledgable is hard to find. I'd love to make it up there again soon.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » Meeting Don Driver . . . (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL