The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Pet peeve (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
"Someone told me you're...a musician?"
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
"Before you juggle those bowling pins could you light them up first", "let's see you juggle those bowling pins with your eyes closed", "I see you can juggle three bowling pins, but could you do ten of them", "hand me those bowling pins, I'm sure that I can juggle them too", "Hey I saw what you did, that's just a trick"

I could go on but you get the idea.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
I choose to interpret any misinterpretations of what I do (resulting in inappropriate or annoying questions) as a fault in my communications and/or a failure in my representation/positioning strategy.

Why do I choose to take responsibility? Because then I am empowered to make changes for improvement.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
"Hey magic man, can you make my wife disappear?", "Hey magic man can you change this $1 bill to a $100 for me", "Hey magic man, can you pull a rabbit out of that hat?", "Let me see those cards, and I'll show you a trick that I learned from when I was at camp".
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3643 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Scott, I'm afraid if I did communicate clearly I might not work in this town again. SQ (smirking Quietly)

The more I read the more peeves I pick up ( the "what do you really love?" thread might be more productive).

Remember, they are not Pet Peeves unless you feed them.

- Mary Mowder
MikeHMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of MikeHMagic
I suffer from Irish Alzheimer's, that's where you forget everything EXCEPT the Grudge!
Mike "Gus" Harvatt
"Bullwinkle that trick never works."
AragorntheMagician
View Profile
Veteran user
Metro-Atlanta
304 Posts

Profile of AragorntheMagician
Jay,
If I'm already booked I make several suggestions but if it's a yearly type event I try and sell Next Year....lol. I start out each year with about 15 - 20 bookings this way. I give them the "Soft Sale" by saying, "I will call you 2 months before your event and you can decide then." Most take it when I call them. They don't have to remember me...I remember them!!
aka: I used to be BOB (It's Cellini's fault)
"All Right, Who's Volunteering to be Turned into a Frog???"
www.aragornthemagician.com
Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
644 Posts

Profile of Police Magician
Mary, I know how you feel. Charities always try to put a guilt trip on you. I always tell them that it is their charity, not mine. Others who want you to do free shows always tell you how you will get bookings from it, etc. I ask if they can put that in writing so if I don't, they will make up the loss.

I don't haggle with people on prices for shows either. I have a set price for different type shows that include age group, amount of people in attendance and time frame. If they don't like my price, so be it.

Now, what is my pet peeve? People who want me to recommend other magicians to them so they can shop around. I tell them I am not a booking agency.

Glenn
Glenn Hester

P.O. Box 3095

Brunswick, Ga. 31521

912-571-8071

www.policemagic.com

https://www.facebook.com/PoliceMagic
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Mary and Glenn, I got a call from the Cincinnati Reds baseball team last week asking for my wife to face paint at an event. Then they had the cajones to tell me that it was a non profit group of the Reds so we had to donate our time. I did what I usually and doubled my price, but I will gladly give you a 50% reduction. Didn't work with them.

Peter
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
644 Posts

Profile of Police Magician
Peter, that reminds me of a time when a group did the same thing to me. I asked them if our local Food Lion grocery store would mind if I walked in, loaded up a cart and walked out as I donated my time for their event. They said that would be stealing. I told them they are trying to do the same with me.

People have a lot of nerve expecting us to donate our time and talent to all these events. Problem is, if you give in to one group, word spreads so the domino effect with others occurs.

Glenn
Glenn Hester

P.O. Box 3095

Brunswick, Ga. 31521

912-571-8071

www.policemagic.com

https://www.facebook.com/PoliceMagic
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1402 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
I think I have numerous pet peeves, all of which many of us have experienced before.

PLAYING PHONE TAG: You call a client, he/she calls you back. No matter how many times you call the person, or they call you, you just can't reach one another. (And they give you several different phone numbers to reach them.) When this happens, at least this has been my experience, these types of clients tend to bring trouble in some form or another.

PRICE DISCOUNTS: Whenever I've offered any sort of price discount, I've always found that it has come back to haunt me in some way.

PEOPLE CALLING YOU AND SOUNDING LIKE THEY'RE REALLY NOT INTERESTED IN YOUR SERVICE: Once in a blue moon I get these calls from folks who just want the bottom line price and could care less what type of show you offer. When you start telling them about your services they're very abrupt with you. It's almost like having a conversation with yourself.

BUT WE WANTED A CLOWN: The client says they visited your website, you tell them all about your show, and then they ask do you have clowns or Barney.

Gerry
dduane
View Profile
Special user
Bridgewater, MA
715 Posts

Profile of dduane
I have a framed 'table card' that basically says in big letters, "PUT THIS CARD AT THE END OF YOUR TABLE TO ASK FOR THE MAGIC OF DENNIS". Most of the waitresses set up the tables with the card at the end. The customers don't read or move the card, so I get all sorts of comments when I approach the table. No matter how hard I explain to the help, they keep putting the card at the end of the tables. Isn't it obvious that the message is for the customers, not the wait help?? (I'm lost on this one -- any advice is appreciated...). It's worse if I don't use a card as a signal and to inform people who I am. Without it, I get, "What do you want? Who are you?"...like they don't even hear me. I am trying to keep a good attitude and not think that most people are just CLUELESS.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Pet peeve (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL