We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What's the best method and way to practice dribbling cards? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

minusthebear
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of minusthebear
I've tried various methods and I often times get chunks or cards go flying out of my hand or they flip over when then land. I find that I can dribble better from my left to right hand for some reason, but when it's right to left it's a little more difficult. I'm trying to do half a deck right now, fairly slow to practice control, but IDK. I'm having little to no progress.
Will-Ace
View Profile
Regular user
Newark NJ
170 Posts

Profile of Will-Ace
I say use whichever hand you feel comfortable with.
Try using your index finger to control the speed the cards will fall. Experiment with the its position, i.e. at the middle of the deck or at the side.
Hold the receiving hand close to the other, and with practice you can increase the distance.
minusthebear
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of minusthebear
I find that when I use my index on the top-front (when holding it in my right hand it's the furthest left corner of the deck) of the deck that the cards fall easier and quicker (but I can slow it if I want). It's not falling 1 card at a time it's usually like a chunk of like 5-10 cards for the first drop then it's averaging about 2 cards at a time after that. For some reason when I put my index in the middle of the deck I have less luck it's like I can't get enough force to drop the cards and then it gets caught on my pinky-ring-middle fingers. So, I'm doing it completely different than I've ever seen anyone do it, but it's working kinda.
Will-Ace
View Profile
Regular user
Newark NJ
170 Posts

Profile of Will-Ace
Keep doing it the way that's working for you, as long as you get the result that you want it's all that matters.
Getting chunks is normal at first, with practice you will be able to release them with more control.

When practicing sleights always think of what you are trying to accomplish, finger positioning is all relative, what works for some may not work for others.
gnosis
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of gnosis
Here is an excellent tutorial on springing cards:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE1P7fINjX8

It's not quite a "dribble", but pretty close. I find it far more impressive than any dribble that I've seen. Maybe you'll like it too.
BigSmile
View Profile
Veteran user
367 Posts

Profile of BigSmile
I think it is the Anaconda Dribble...

Take a look here:
http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?t=2307

The DVD seems out of print (fortunately I have it Smile) but perhaps you will get it somewhere else.
gnosis
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of gnosis
I'm pretty sure the spring is quite different from the anaconda.

The anaconda uses a different grip, the cards are bent in the opposite direction from the spring, and they fall in a different manner (more perpendicular to the receiving hand, rather than parallel to the receiving hand as in the spring).

You can watch a beautifully executed anaconda here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7yvPcKVf80

And a detailed look at the grip here:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/892426/anaconda_explanation/
vpatanio
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of vpatanio
What resources are you using?

I think you should at least try to practice it with your "non-dealing hand" as you will encounter sleights down the road that you may want to incorporate the dribble into (ie. bluff pass, etc...)

-Vinny
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2339 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:
On 2010-06-26 20:57, minusthebear wrote:
I've tried various methods and I often times get chunks or cards go flying out of my hand or they flip over when then land. I find that I can dribble better from my left to right hand for some reason, but when it's right to left it's a little more difficult. I'm trying to do half a deck right now, fairly slow to practice control, but IDK. I'm having little to no progress.

How long have you been "handling" playing cards? These things take time. Keep at it!
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of rklew64
There are no 3 months/6months kinda of thing. just keep doing it with new decks/old decks without crying about it. Then one day at a moment you not aware of you'll pull it off and that is when the breakthrough occurs. then you relax and do it again without a lot of analyzing or scrutiny. It is as much a knack or feeling as well technique which even that varies considerably. If you think dribbling is hard, you better get a box of kleenex when you practice springing cards or 1 handed faro and bridge shuffle. Oh and you are dribbling with hands close to a surface or on the couch so if cards blast all over the place you only have inches to gather cards rather than bending down to scoop them from the floor.
the frustration is part of the process as ALL other future magic learning - so get used to it and embrace it!
If your gonna stomp your feet because you did not get the move in 3 days?! then stop right now and try archery.
Bobbert
View Profile
Regular user
Alberta, Canada
152 Posts

Profile of Bobbert
Spring and anaconda are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. Both are cool and fun to do once you get them down tho!

For a dribble, I actually learned the anaconda method in the beginning so my grip is the same grip as for anaconda.

However, to be honest you can dribble from any grip in the deck. Its all about how you apply pressure down with your index, and how you roll your index and thumb NOT about where you grip it.

just get the motion of fingers and you can grip it where you like. What I do is:

Grip corners when showing the cards are all fair and everything is as it should be

Grip top bottom when doing sleights.

Just in case your wondering I grip top and bottom left sides of the deck when dribbling. Hold kind of like deep biddle
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What's the best method and way to practice dribbling cards? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.65 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL