We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Red Sea Passover vs. Daryl's Crossed Thought (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1841 Posts

Profile of Platt
Every time I perform Crossed Thought I get a great reaction. It's simple and pretty clean.

Red Sea Passover seems to take the effect one step further.

But I'm curious if the color change bit is worth the additional handling and effort. Plus, I feel it might draw too much attention to the cards themselves. But I've never performed it so I don't know.
Also, I'm not crazy about the Al Baker count that Daryl suggests. Does anyone use a different count. And do you think you really have to count them (the first group of five) at all?
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4391 Posts

Profile of Paul
I suppose the colour helps back up that the card has traveled, but if the card someone was thinking of has gone, and is shown to have arrived somewhere else, then it must have traveled anyway.

Red See is very well thought out, but a little overrated I feel. It got cult status simply because it wasn't available. Plus it is certainly a more formal piece.

For a "thought of" card traveling, I always liked Phil Goldstein's Shinkansen which can be found in Focus p. 83. Used to use that a lot.

Paul Hallas
Russ
View Profile
Regular user
Muskogee, Oklahoma
132 Posts

Profile of Russ
In "My Best" by J.G. Thompson Jr. on page 55 there is a trick called "The Improved "Zens" Cards & Envelopes".

15 cards are counted by the spec. and three of the cards are thought of and all 15 cards are put into an envelope, sealed and initaled by spec. 15 more cards are counted and sealed in another envelope and signed by spec.

The final effect is that the three thought of cards disappear from the first envelope and appear in the second envelope.

This looks somewhat similar to "Red Sea Passover".

I wonder if these tricks came from M.F. Zens ideas? "My Best" was 1st published in 1945.

Russ
"All I Really Need To Know I Learned In Kindergarten" by Robert Fulghum
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4391 Posts

Profile of Paul
Russ, most come from Zen's ideas, and there are others in print or sold with different coloured backs travelling. "Impossible Flight" marketed by Unique in the fifties was one such.

To be honest, if cards are simply travelling the different backs can add to the effect, but if "thought of" cards are travelling there is no need for different coloured backs, the "thought" of cards arriving being the proof required to make it strong.

Red See Passover and Crossed Thoughts, need no envelopes and look remarkably clean. As does Bannan's Twisted Sister. I often use the jumbo version of that as a stand up item. It is after all, a mental cards across without the need of envelopes or people having to leave their seats, plus an additional kicker at the end! And it's based on B'Wave rather than Zens' routine.

Paul Hallas.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6581 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
So Mr. Goldstein has struck again, either creating or influencing (or both) the best version of an effect. Yeah, that sounds about right!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
allanr
View Profile
New user
Houston,Tx
19 Posts

Profile of allanr
For a single thought of card between two packets I really like 'Biddling Brown in the Round' from Cardfixes by Jon Racherbaumer. Very clean and easy to do.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2980 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Daryls effect is superb but his gaffs are sometimes pink in colour on the back. I don't know if this was a bad batch but I was sent two dodgy sets.
Incidentally I combine Daryls gaffs with gaffs from Limited Edition, as I feel the all black approach is a tad suspicious to the audience.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Red Sea Passover vs. Daryl's Crossed Thought (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL