We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Condition of cards??? You best perform with???? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WazMeister
View Profile
Loyal user
231 Posts

Profile of WazMeister
My hands sweat really bad, not just a little wetness but so bad new cards are ruined and sleights are too hard. Basicly I was watching Lenart green and he seems to really mash his cards. I started to notice I am better with a run in old box cards though I love a new deck it just not working for me..... Using he cards very hard like Lenart works better for me.
What condition do you prefer and are old cards bit wrong to perform with?????

What
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2674 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
You might ask your doctor if there is something to help with your hands. We used to use anti-persperant cream...just a little dab...worked great. But, you want to stay away from anything that uses aluminum in the formulation.

Working as a pro old cards unless you have some clever patter that explains why you are using crappy looking cards is probably not a good idea, but frankly I kind of like old broken in beat up cards! It's a dirty little secret, but there you go!

Best,
Brad Burt
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
New cards take on a life of their own with me.
I like to break them in a bit with shuffles.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
For me, the feel of the cards, new or old, is the most important.

I like a rough deck. I feel I have more control. Something too smooth and slippery tends to fall apart or "squirt out" on me.

Otoh a smooth slippery deck is the easiest to fan.

So it somewhat depends on what your doing.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
juggernought
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of juggernought
I always work with a new deck (I go through one a day). If you are going to devote a lot of time to practicing, I feel that you should eliminate anything that could hinder your development.
Koolmagic114
View Profile
Loyal user
204 Posts

Profile of Koolmagic114
A new but warn in decks works for me. Every time I pop open a new deck I just play with it for a few days shuffling and breaking it in. Then I start practicing effects with it. Usually by the time I am ready to start showing effects the deck feels just right.
Eddy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Co-Creator of "TAGZ" / "Iced Over" / " TelePad" / "Penigma"
www.magicianslair.com
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Dear WazMeister,

I like old cards best but if I'm working I use broken in but not ugly cards.

If you have wet hands I doubt you can use well broken in cards because the oils and sweat build up on a deck and they will stick together in clumps after a while.

I've heard there are injections for this and hypnosis can help as well. Several Magicians I know have said this condition improves over time as nerves calm. I've also heard that thinking "cool" helps although I'm not sure how.

In the end we all work with the hands we have with our best efforts to fix 'em. Once you've tried the fixes that seem appropriate, embrace what you have. There are some advantages to your situation. If you let the problems keep you from loving the cards you will lose out on a lot of enjoyment.

- Mary Mowder
diehards2080
View Profile
Loyal user
Brooklyn, New York
256 Posts

Profile of diehards2080
I like broken in decks. when I open a new deck I break it in by dribbles, faros, pressure fans and lepaul spreads.

this way I can get them bending the way I want and have a bit more control over them
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Quote:
On 2010-07-08 19:29, Mary Mowder wrote:
Dear WazMeister,

I like old cards best but if I'm working I use broken in but not ugly cards.

If you have wet hands I doubt you can use well broken in cards because the oils and sweat build up on a deck and they will stick together in clumps after a while.

I've heard there are injections for this and hypnosis can help as well.

There are also hand-powders which you can use before you work, which might be a bit less drastic soln. As I recall my hardware store sells one under the name "anti monkey-butt powder". (I have no idea why.)

In Judo we used to dust our hands with chalk powder before working out.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2339 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:
On 2010-06-28 07:36, WazMeister wrote:
What condition do you prefer and are old cards bit wrong to perform with?????

To break in a new deck I do 10 waterfall shuffles (5 on each side) and 10 two-handed fans (5 on each side). Then, the cards work beautifully in my hands. Using old cards is great for effects that destroy cards.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
Bobbert
View Profile
Regular user
Alberta, Canada
152 Posts

Profile of Bobbert
I used to use old worn out cards because they stuck together better but later I realized that it makes certain sleights harder as well. From my experience

old worn cards: stick together better and easier to handle in the beginning. Always harder to do certain sleights

new cards smoothed on the sides: slippery and harder to handle in the beginning but if you get used to it, every sleight ends up easier and more comfy then with old worn cards.
satellite23
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of satellite23
I agree with Bobbert about the conditions. I preferably use newer cards, because once I used an old deck and someone accused me of figuring out their card by looking at the way the corner of the card was worn out. I now use my old deck to practice with. Also, Try to get cards that match your preference. Size makes a big difference in your tricks. Bigger cards may be harder to palm, but smallr cards slip easier.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Condition of cards??? You best perform with???? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.84 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL