The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » What if a spectator wants to shuffle the cards? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Not off topic at all, I want to see the answer too! Best, bob
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2544 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Quote:
On 2010-07-06 10:56, Failed Magician wrote:

But sometimes they want to put their chosen and signed card different than where you want it to be. I sometimes use Bluff Pass by Paul Le Paul, BUT sometimes they went: "Ok but I want to put this further down the deck."

Anytime I am extending half the deck for the spectator to drop their card onto it (or significantly more in the case of the Bluff Pass Smile ) and they want to control exactly where it goes in, I immediately fan the deck and let them decide exactly where to put it in the deck. At that point, I use the automatic fan jog and riffle shuffle their card to the top.

In the case of a stacked deck that I don't want to shuffle I perform as follows:

• Put the two halves of the deck back together (executing a pass to restore the halves back to the correct orientation or just openly cut them)
  • Dribble the cards from the right hand to the left asking them to say "Stop" anywhere
  • Have them drop the card onto the lower half wherever they called stop
  • Dribble the remainder the cards holding a break above the selection

From here you have three options:

• Execute any pass to get the card to the top
  • I normally control the card to the bottom using a hybrid move based off of sleights from Steranko, Peter Duffie and some subtleties that I developed. No other cards are displaced. (I know that's not particularly helpful but can't elaborate without going into way too much detail)
  • Here's another option that I like a lot and you may too: Instead of dribbling the cards, riffle down the corner of the pack with your thumb and have the spec call stop. When they do, you insert the card into the deck and control it to the bottom via the Simon Lovell Non-Panoramic Shift. This is very similar to "Mike's Move" from Derren Brown's The Devil's Picturebook. You can find Lovell's shift in his book "Simon Says"

Of course you'll find as many answers to this question as you will find magicians. The above are all things that I have done (and continue to do) when in this situation. The good news is that the longer I perform the less this kind of thing comes up.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
ricardo carpenter
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of ricardo carpenter
Shuffle the deck before they want to shuffle it.
Truly shuffle it.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Vlad, I've been looking to purchase the information on Tommy Wonder's Deck Switch, but I'm not sure which volume to get. I need to know the exact source of the material on the TWDS and I'd appreciate it if you or anyone else reading this can send me in the right direction. Thanks again folks! Best, bob

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2532 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
On video: http://www.llpub.com/zenshop/index.php?m......_id=2589 (Lecture DVD, British Close-up Magic Symposium)

In the Books of Wonder: Vol. 1, page 152
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Thanks Barry, the DVD looks great; gonna get that! Thanks again for the help. Best, Bob

churken
View Profile
Regular user
California
199 Posts

Profile of churken
I agree with Dennis Loomis.

Deck switches are all well and good, but only after the shuffles. There are times that you will be into an effect and then the spectator will ask to shuffle. This is rare, and good audience management should prevent it for the most part. But, if you are asked to let them shuffle you MUST let them. No matter where you are in a routine. To do otherwise discredits your abilities. If you say no for any reason, you are knocked down a few rungs on the ladder and have to work 5 times as hard to regain your position.

Again though, I want to point out that through good routining and strong audience management, this should not be a problem you encounter very often at all.

Remember, the spectators don't know the end of the effect. So, once they shuffle do as Dennis suggests and go into an effect that is not stack dependent.

Just an opinion, I could be wrong.

Paul
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
While you're ordering the Tommy Wonder DVD... get everything else he ever released. He was one of magic's great thinkers, performers, and mechanics. EVERYTHING of his is just incredible, IMHO.

That said, most deck switches are situational. You have to be in the process of doing something for them to work. This is also true of the Tommy Wonder deck switch.

A little suggestion for close up workers. Early on, produce something from a purse frame. Leave the purse frame sitting on the table. Now whenever you need to make a trip to the pocket (as in the Tommy Wonder Deck Switch) you "notice" the purse frame and reach down and pick it up and put it away.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
ricardo carpenter
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

In "Simply Simon" Simon Aronson teaches excellent effects with truly shuffled mem deck...
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2532 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Here’s one last thing to think about with respect to deck switches. The writer is Richard Kaufman, and he’s talking about René Lavand’s act, documented in the wonderful book The Mysteries of my Life. This is in the section describing all of the preliminary set up for René Lavand’s act:

“Because The Act has been created to wring the absolute maximum out of each trick, René uses the opportunity to increase the amount of amazement he gets by stringing together routines that would seem impossible to connect. To do this, he switches half the deck in Part Three, “A Little Diversion,” and the entire deck in Part Nine, “In Search of Excellence.” The switch in Part Three sets up Part Four, “Why do the Colors Alternate Themselves?” and the switch in Part Nine sets up Part Ten, “I Know Them and I Don’t Know How I Know Them.”

“Please note that these are one-handed deck switches which require no sleight of hand. They are absolutely invisible and will fool any audience of laymen or magicians. Both Darwin Ortiz and I know this from first-hand experience. While sequestered in a Holiday Inn here in Washington D.C., with Darwin translating, René performed the entire act for us. He told us in advance that the entire deck would be stacked by the end of the ninth trick. Darwin and I glanced at each other repeatedly as the deck was shuffled and cut by René numerous times, and finally shuffled by Darwin. And, as he promised, at the end of the ninth trick, René ribbon spread the deck face up and revealed to us that it was now totally stacked from first card to last. We were speechless.”

Think about it; a properly constructed act can allow you to execute deck switches that are completely undetectable, even by experts like Darwin Ortiz. This can be done with no sleight of hand whatsoever--even if you’re working with JUST ONE HAND!
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Y'all have given me great feedback and informaton to look at here and I appreciate the comments. Thanks! Bob

Damon Zale
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of Damon Zale
Bob, I would agree with everyone that if someone wants to shuffle , you got to let them. What I would recommend is let them shuffle in the beginning then switch decks .
I sometimes start with shuffle related effect (with the just shuffled deck) like triumph to really drive in the fact that the deck has been mixed(its part of triumph patter usually).

Regarding germ freak idea, ironically, I AM actually, *a little bit*, like that . If I have a new deck, I don't like people handling it - no way around it though:).
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Thanks Dmitriy, glad I'm not the only one who thinks about the germs out there! Best, bob

larotule
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of larotule
Quote:
On 2010-07-10 08:42, ricardo carpenter wrote:
In "Simply Simon" Simon Aronson teaches excellent effects with truly shuffled mem deck...

Hi ricardo, unfortunately I don't have this book but you mean a stack really shuffled by a spectator ?

it's seems interesting to me because I work actually on this idea
captainsmiffy
View Profile
Special user
UK, resident UAE
587 Posts

Profile of captainsmiffy
Up The Ante will let your spectator shuffle and retain the deck and you won't need a mem-stack either...
Have you tried 'Up The Ante' yet?? The ultimate gambling demo....a self-working wonder! See the reviews here on the cafe.
ricardo carpenter
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Hi larotule,

In "high class location", the spectator truly shuffle parts of the deck, all the parts. The procedure is fair, and logical. And the magician is able to find 3 selected cards, in this shuffled deck. Then the deck is still in condition to go on other effects with memdeck.
This effect is so good, that the only drawback is to make sure that the spectators don't think it's a marked deck.
And more, knowing some things about memedeck, it's possible and not difficult to go in this effect from a really shuffled deck or another deck.
It's an effect, one can overlook, but its applications are far more useful than the effect (excellent) described.
Simon Aronson give some ideas of routining with other tricks, some ideas of an excellent session with memdeck.
larotule
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of larotule
Thanks ricardo for a complete description.

it's sounds good, you convinced me to bought this book

and simon aroson it's a safe bet.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
You will LOVE Simon Aronson's "Bait and Switch", nice effect and it leads you into WONDERFUL routines like "Up The Ante" by Martyn Smith.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
ricardo carpenter
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Vlad,

"Bait ans switch" is not in Simply Simon... or it's really magic Smile
What is this effect?
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
"Bait and Switch" is in the book Aronson Approach.
Magic is a vanishing art.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » What if a spectator wants to shuffle the cards? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL